Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Happy Birthday Gumball!

Let me tell you about Gumball. My beloved puppy is FOUR years old today.


I adopted Gumball from the Boulder Humane Society when she was 10 weeks old. I had been searching for months for a rescue dachshund, but it's harder than you'd think to rescue a dog! I applied for several dogs but was denied because I lived in an apartment without a fenced yard at the time and worked away from home every day. I had my heart set on a dachshund (mix), although I did have a meet-and-greet with a sweet bloodhound named Duke. Then one day a litter of eight puppies was sent up to Boulder from Durango! Ironic that GB was born in Durango and that's where we live now. The puppies were named on the website in Spanish numbers Uno through Ocho. GB was Siete. Lucky #7. I left work early and picked her up that same day.

I am Gumball's favorite person in the whole world! It feels nice.


I call her mostly Gumball, GB, Gummy Bear, Gummers, or Beloved Puppy. We're big on nicknames in this family.

August 26th is also National Dog Day!

She's a very solid 22.5 pounds. Anyone new who happens to pick her up comments on how "dense" she is. Dachshunds normally come in "miniature" and "standard" size. I like to say GB is a "jumbo."

Look how cute she was as a tiny puppy! Although that nice rug she's sitting on? Chewed. To. Pieces.


She's not perfect. She barks at strangers. She's terrified of thunder and car rides. She's not the big sister to Swede that I hoped for. But I sure do love her!

This is probably the closest they've ever been

This shirt arrived in the mail just in time for GB's birthday! I saw it in the I Heart Dogs shop and couldn't resist!


Currently we live in a neighborhood outside of town that includes several miles of community hiking trails. Gumball has so much fun exploring on our daily walk. I love watching her run super fast. I call it "free range Gumball." She looks so happy! It reminds me of a poem from Mary Oliver's book, Dog Songs:

You may not agree, and you may not care, but
if you are holding this book you should know
that of all the sights I love in the world-
and there are plenty-very near the top of
the list is this one: dogs without leashes.


Happy Birthday GB! Here's to many more.

4 comments:

  1. I love it! My dog is seriously one of my favorite things about life. She's a great addition to our little family.
    Gumball is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the first to admit I'm obsessed with my dog, but they bring us so much joy! :-)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww Gumball is too cute! And I love that you waited and rescued one :) People think you can't rescue puppies or specific breeds, but that's so not the case. She's a lucky pup!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.