Sunday, August 23, 2015

Weekend [Aug 22-23, 2015]

Why does the weekend always go by so fast?

On Saturday morning I went on a bike ride with my mom and Swede. There is a nice bike path that goes along the Animas River through Durango.

Swede hasn't picked up on how to smile in photos yet

One week ago the river was a nasty mustard yellow color due to the accidental release of millions of gallons of contaminated water from an old mine near Silverton. The cleanup is still in process along the Animas through Durango and south into the New Mexico, but at least the river looks back to normal and is open for business again. 

On Saturday afternoon, Swede spent time with her grandparents while Jonathan and I had an early dinner at Steamworks Brewing Company.


We split the spinach-artichoke-cheese dip and the Cajun popcorn shrimp and this amazing "Colorado" cheesesteak sandwich! I'm not sure what made it different than a traditional Philly cheesesteak, but it was delicious.

Tasted better than it looks!

On Sunday morning we went to a family get-together with Jonathan's extended family. His aunts/uncles/cousins live on the opposite side of the county, which is a farther trek than you'd think, so we don't see them much. I was hoping to get some nice photos of the whole family but only ended up with these two:


Seriously, kid, Would it kill ya to smile just once???

We had some complications during nap time on Sunday so I wasn't able to get started on my "quiet book" project as planned. I have all my supplies and picked out the first page I'm going to try, but that's as far as I got before Swede woke up. I'm not very artistic and have trouble finding time for projects like the one (I'd usually rather read in my free time) but I've wanted to try making one these books for a while. Inspiration here and here! I'll keep you posted how it turns out!


Currently reading: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. I can't resist books about books! For some reason I had expected it to be more serious. Secret bookstore society trying to find the key to immortality... How could that not be serious? It's pretty light and quick though. Also, the cover glows in the dark!

Back to the salt mine tomorrow... Hope you had a fun weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Toddlers and camera are the worst! haha. Avery just glares when I bring ours out now!
    I love her owl shirt, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsey, Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. The cover glows in the dark? That's hilarious! I'm the worst for taking picture at family functions. I always have good intentions but then I always forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised by the glow-in-the-dark cover - Was reading in bed, turned off the light, and Hey!!! It totally suits the book though.

      Delete
  3. I've had Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore sitting on my shelf for a loooong time, but have never gotten around to reading it yet. I'm not sure why, but now that I know it's pretty light and quick, I think I'm more intrigued to read it. And I did know the covers glow in the dark, although I haven't actually tested that yet ;)

    I always have a tough time getting photos at family functions too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hesitated to read it for a long time too because I had this idea it was really serious and dense, and just wasn't in the mood. Modern Mrs Darcy's blog convinced me to give it a try.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.