Monday, September 7, 2015

Labor Day Weekend

I'm going to start this recap with today and work backwards because today was the most fun!

Monday:

In the morning I went with my mom and Swede to a park by the river. There is a little sandy beach and Swede had so much fun playing in the sand and water.

 Muddy hands = Happy toddler

Then we had a great picnic lunch including my favorite Caprese sandwich from a local bakery. (And a gingersnap cookie, of course).

I had to work during nap time but then we went on a family hike around the neighborhood.

Swede is obsessed with this rock. We have to stop and visit on every hike.

Come on, Let's go!

These two! I die.

We went out to dinner at a local Mexican restaurant. It appears that Swede is taking after Jonathan who loves Mexican food. She had a cheese quesadilla, avocado slices, refried beans, rice, and horchata. And a few chips and salsa - She kept wanting to try it but it was too spicy!

Sunday:

One of my New Years Resolutions was to start going to church again, and it's taken me 8 months to do it! Better late than never. This was Swede's first time at church and she did really well.

My nap time project was to make another page for the Quiet Book!


This one was more difficult than the house last week. Cutting out the branches on the tree was a little tedious. The idea is you switch the flowers, green leaves, and autumn leaves on the tree for each season. The grass at the bottom is a pocket to store the flowers/leaves not being used.

In the evening I watched Dan in Real Life <--One of my favorite movies. Always makes me want to have a big loud family! That is unlikely to be a reality since we're sticking with two kids and it doesn't look like there will be any cousins.

Saturday:

It was off-and-on rainy all day. We ran errands and took care of chores around the house and played with Swede. The big excitement of the day for her was learning how to "jump" off the very bottom stair to the floor.

We went to the library where pretty much every hold I'd placed in the last six months had come in.

I have three weeks to read all these books!

Book of the week: The Rocks, by Peter Nichols. I gave it 4 stars on Good Reads. I think I heard about this book because it was featured on The Skimm (<-- Basically my only source of news). It's the story of two intertwined families on the island of Mallorca. The interesting part is that the story is told backwards. It was a little strange - The characters you meet as grown-ups in one chapter are teenagers in the next chapter, and toddlers in the next, and then not even born - but interesting and well-written. This book and The Vacationers has made me add Mallorca to my list of dream vacation destinations!

Bonus photo of Swede for the road:

My new favorite photo

Back to the salt mine tomorrow. Hope you had a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys had a great weekend - and much nicer weather than we did!

    I LOVE that quiet book you are making - what a neat idea! Hope you show it to us when it's all done. You have me wanting to make one of my own for Sully, but I don't know when I'd ever have time to work on it lol.

    I just picked up The Vacationers at the thrift store the other day and can't wait to read it. The only one from that pile I've read is Love Walked In, and while I read it years ago, I remember loving it. I love goodreads - feel free to add me as a friend on there (Brie Fraser)! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all this work on the quiet book I sure hope she likes it! My plan is to make 4 pages and then put it in a 3-ring binder type thing, and if she likes it I can make and add more pages later... We'll see!

      Delete
  2. What a great weekend! I've been craving caprese sandwiches and now I really want one, hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so good! Hope you get one soon.

      Delete
  3. I have a friend who has a quiet book and her son absolutely loves it! I think it's a great idea. What a fun day! Wish we had a creek nearby to hang out in. I could use it these days, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it! I hope my daughter likes this one.
      When is it fall already, Right???

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.