Sunday, September 20, 2015

Weekend Highlights

(In chronological order)

#1: Donuts for breakfast on Saturday morning! We have pretty boring taste in donuts in this family. ("Not boring... Classic!" I can hear BFF Laura's voice in my head). I like plain raised glazed, and Jonathan likes blueberry cake. No fancy sprinkles or frostings necessary, although I do think "fancy" donuts are so pretty. What is your favorite type of donut?

#2: Playtime with Swede:


She likes to pretend to take her stuffed animal friends hiking. She gets them all buckled into the Osprey backpack and fills the pockets with her fake food for snack time.

#3: Bike ride on the river trail with Swede and my mom. The weather was gorgeous this weekend. Sunny but not too hot. The leaves are just starting to change.

#4: After nap time on Saturday, we went to the library and then out for ice cream at Cold Stone.

 Cake batter ice cream for the win!

A rare photo of the whole family!

#5: Neighborhood block party. This was a first, but I hope it's not the last. It was fun getting to know more of our neighbors. Many of them have kids Swede's age, several of whom are in her same class at preschool and we didn't even know it! The food was really good too. It was a potluck. We contributed brownies, and there was pulled pork and bratwurst, potato salad, fruit salad, spinach salad, some kind of delicious cornmeal spoon bread situation... Yum.

#6: I made it to church again on Sunday morning. Why it is so hard to start a habit, but pretty easy to keep it up once you've gotten going?

#7: I took a nap during Swede's nap, which I haven't done since the epic fatigue of my first trimester, but I haven't been sleeping very well at night and needed some extra rest. It was lovely. (And included snugs from GB, which make all naps better).

#8: Jonathan took Swede to visit his parents on Sunday afternoon and I made a new page for the quiet book.

Beep Beep

This page is a mix-and-match robot. The blue body is sewn on but you can swap out the arms, legs, and heads.

#9: Hike around the neighborhood with GB:


#10: We had this Green Chile Queso Cheese Dip from How Sweet Eats for dinner. Nothing like a bowl of melted cheese to end the weekend right. (Except for the leftover brownie I'll be having later).  I used some already-roasted Hatch chiles so it was quick and easy to put together. It was delicious!

The lowlight of the weekend was dropping my phone and cracking the screen pretty badly. Boo. I've been thinking about getting an upgrade and I guess this means it'll happen sooner than later.

Book(s) of the week: A Window Opens by Elisabeth Egan. (Sidenote: Is Elisabeth supposed to be pronounced differently than Elizabeth? Pretty subtle if so but I wonder if EliSabeth is upset that she's always called EliZabeth). I really liked this book! The main character seemed really REAL to me, navigating the everyday life struggles of being a working mom, a wife, dealing with a sick parent, etc. I'm currently reading (and absolutely loving) Love Walked In by Marisa De Los Santos. I don't know why it took me so long to read this book. It's sweet and funny. I really like the main character's voice, and all the references to classic movies which I've seen and love are fun.

That's all! What was the best (or worst, but hopefully best) part of your weekend?

8 comments:

  1. My favourite donut is sprinkle, lol. My husband says I'm 13. Swede packing up the hiking backpack is too cute! I love how toddler's minds work. Is the Elisabeth/Elizabeth difference have to do with American/Canadian(English)? I have no idea actually. haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toddler minds ARE so fascinating! It's so fun seeing what they come up with next. :-)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great weekend. Now you have me craving donuts & coldstone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be the first to admit it wasn't the healthiest weekend...

      Delete
  3. I have been craving donuts lately and finally caved in! I love the dolled up donuts... I had a really good caramel apple one and red velvet cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun weekend! Can I join your family and have doughnuts on the weekend? :) Your family is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.