Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Weeknight Dinner #2 [Slow-Cooker Mexican Chicken Soup]

Lately the weather has been alternating between warm & sunny feels-like-summer days and cool & cloudy (or rainy) feels-like-autumn days. I've started adding soup to the weekly meal plan, but I've been checking the weather report daily to decide which is the best day to make it.

The perfect rainy Tuesday dinner! It's all about the toppings.

I think I found this recipe last year in a free pamphlet from King Soopers/City Market (or whatever your local Kroger grocery store is called). It's a great slow-cooker recipe because you can just throw everything in and go. (OK, You have to chop the onion, but that's all). I don't have time in the morning to actually cook anything before it goes in the slow-cooker.

Here's the recipe, which I (mostly) follow:

1 onion, chopped
4 chicken breasts
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
2 cans (4-oz each) chopped mild green chile peppers (This time I used roasted Hatch chiles from the farmers market)
1 can (15 oz) red enchilada sauce (mild or spicy depending on your preference)
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
1 tsp each cumin, chili powder, and salt (I don't actually measure these)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 package (10 oz) frozen corn

Toppings: sliced avocado, sour cream, grated Cheddar cheese, lime wedges, tortilla chips, cilantro (if you're so inclined, which I am not)

Put everything (except the corn) in the slow-cooker on low for 6-8 hours, then shred the chicken with two forks, add the corn, and let cook another 30 minutes or so. Add your choice of toppings and you're good to go!

Happy soup season!

5 comments:

  1. I love fall meals! I cannot wait to add them into the rotation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you will share some of your favorites!

      Delete
  2. Yum, this sounds delicious! And super easy, which I like :) Saving for later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super easy! I'm all about the throw-it-in-the-crock-pot-and-go recipes.

      Delete
  3. That sounds delicious! We love soup on colder days, so I'll have to save this one :)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.