Tuesday, October 13, 2015

A Day in the Life

I've been meaning to do a day-in-the-life post for a while, but I keep forgetting to start keeping track right away. I think it's fascinating to see exactly how we spend our days, and interesting how things change over time. I know that in six months an average day in my life will look completely different.

Have you read 168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think by Laura Vanderkam? She suggests tracking your days in 15 minute increments for a while as a way to find pockets of time that you could be utilizing more efficiently. I know this is true with me sometimes when the time between Swede's bedtime and my bedtime seems to fritter away without anything getting done.

This is what my life looked like on Thursday, October 8, 2015. Swede is almost 23 months old, and I'm 30 weeks, 3 days pregnant with Baby #2.

6 am: Alarm goes off. Snug with GB instead of getting up right away.
6:15 am: Shower. Get dressed. (Today calls for leggings and an oversized sweatshirt).
6:30 am: Make a latte for myself and wash some berries to mix with yogurt for Swede's Breakfast #1.


6:45 am: Jonathan brings Swede downstairs. She's been awake, singing and playing in her crib, for about 15 minutes. We like to give her a little time to wake up on her own. Breakfast and playtime.
7:30 am: I blow-dry my hair and Swede plays "hide-and-seek" with her stuffed animal friends by stuffing them in the bathroom cabinets.
7:45 am: Getting-dressed time with Swede. This is a bit of a struggle. She never wants to get dressed and I end up chasing a half-naked toddler all over the house.
8 am: We take a leisurely stroll over to my parents' house, stopping to investigate various rocks and sticks along the way. I chat with my mom while Swede eats Breakfast #2 (Oatmeal).
8:30 am: Walk back home and get started working.
10 am: Snack/Late breakfast = Banana with peanut butter and raisins.
12 pm: Lunch = Leftover Tater Tot Casserole from dinner on Wednesday. (Thanks Leigh!)
2:30 pm: Snack = Apple with cheddar cheese and some Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness juice.


3:30 pm: Walk over to pick Swede up. Another leisurely walk home, then playtime.
4:30 pm: Jonathan is done with work and he plays with Swede while I make dinner. We have the butternut squash soup with cinnamon toast croutons from my October Wish List - Delicious!
5:15 pm: Dinnertime! We eat absurdly early, I know.
5:30 pm: Family hike around the neighborhood.


6:00 pm: Bathtime for Swede. She likes to splash around and play with her bathtime friends for ages.
6:30 pm: Swede has gotten so much better at brushing her teeth lately! But putting on her diaper and pajamas is still an ordeal.
6:45 pm: Storytime with Swede.
7:15 pm: I put Swede in her crib where she babbles to herself and rearranges her stuffed animal friends a dozen times before falling asleep at 7:35. I fold a pile of laundry that Gumball has been sleeping on all day... Dog hair is the perfect accessory, Right?


7:30 pm: I have some ice cream and read Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos. This is a sequel to Love Walked In, which I really liked, and am enjoying this one so far as well.
8:15 pm: Piano time! I'm working my way through a book of easy Christmas carols. My goal is to play for 15-20 minutes every day but it usually only happens 2-3 times per week. What's your favorite Christmas carol? Mine is "Hark the Herald Angels Sing."
8:30 pm: Chat with Jonathan. Get ready for bed - Brush/floss teeth and wash face.
9:00 pm: Reading in bed.
9:45 pm: Lights out!

9 comments:

  1. I just did a post like this and it's going up tomorrow. Love seeing how other people's days compare. And so glad you liked that recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny how different our days are with 8-mo vs 23-mo kids! It goes by fast.

      Delete
  2. I need to try that casserole!
    As a kid we always ate by 5:30pm and I never knew why people ate late (6pm seemed late!) but now I get it, we are lucky to eat by 6:30pm!
    Getting dressed is a struggle with us too! Silly girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One problem with eating so early is I find myself hungry again at 9 pm!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It's really interesting! Although she does suggest outsourcing LOTS of chores... Like laundry, cleaning, which I don't think most people can afford.

      Delete
  4. That's so nice your parents live so close and watch Swede. I hope to start an early bedtime routine with Allie soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Early bedtime is key for my sanity! Especially now that we're losing naps...

      Delete
  5. I love these posts! And it's definitely fun to look back on your own to see how much life changes.

    It's so nice that your parents live in walking distance! I would love to have that. Does Swede go over there everyday, or do you only work from home part time?

    We eat dinner way too late. And I also go to bed way too late. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.