Friday, October 23, 2015

Weeknight Dinner #3 [Ravioli with Spinach & Mushrooms]

This is the only recipe I have ever made up by myself, and that's only because I've strayed so far from the original recipe that no one would recognize them as remotely similar. My cooking methods are very... relaxed, to say the least, but I made an attempt to write down measurements when I made this last night so I could share with you. I think the key to this recipe being good is to use high-quality sherry. And lots of Parmesan cheese.


This is what you need:

1 package ravioli [Whatever is your favorite kind]
2-4 T butter
Mushrooms [About 2 cups, sliced]
2 T flour
1 c sherry
1/2 c cream [or half and half]
1/2 c chicken/vegetable broth
Spinach [I use an entire 16 oz bag of pre-washed baby spinach]
Parmesan cheese [About 1/2 c grated to add to the sauce, and more to sprinkle on top]

And this is what you do:

First, get the water boiling to cook the ravioli. Then melt the butter in a large skillet and sauté the mushrooms until they are really done. Sprinkle the flour over the top then add the sherry, cream, and broth. Let that burble away and thicken up for about 5 minutes, then add the spinach one handful at a time and stir until it's all wilted in. Add the Parmesan cheese, and once that has melted, I add the cooked ravioli. You could just top the ravioli with the sauce but I like everything to be really well combined. I've also used this sauce as a topping for plain pasta, toast, and baked potatoes.

Question: Do you follow recipes exactly or do you ever just throw in a little of this and a little of that? Jonathan is a stickler! He even gets out a hand mixer to make cookies, because "that's what the recipe says to do!" Whereas I'm in the just-mix-it-really-well-by-hand camp.

Happy Weekend, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. Amazing post! You have a great blog:)
    What about following each other on Instagram, Bloglovin, Twitter?

    www.bloglovin.com/blog/3880191

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I suck at throwing random things together...I definitely need recipes and steps to follow!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.