Friday, November 27, 2015

Abel's Birth Story

Like I mentioned in my pregnancy update at 35 weeks, Abel was in a breech position, and hadn't budged by 37 weeks, so my doctor proposed a External Cephalic Version to try to turn him around. 

I happened to take one last pregnancy photo while getting ready on Tuesday morning.

37w1d

At the hospital, my doctor did the version, which was technically successful - He did shift into a head-down position - But afterwards I started having painless but regular contractions, and every time, Abel's heart rate would drop. My doctor thought the umbilical cord had gotten tangled up somewhere. After several hours of being monitored with no improvement, and one particularly long contraction that made everyone panic a little, I headed into surgery.

Probably the worst part was getting prepped for the C-section. It was less than 30 minutes between when I headed to the OR and when Abel was born, but it seemed like longer. After I had the spinal block I felt like I was lying there completely helpless for ages, but it was probably only 2 minutes before Jonathan came in, and then another 10 minutes before Abel was born. When I first heard him cry I immediately started crying too because I was so happy and relieved.

Jonathan brought him over to see me for a minute but then they went off to the nursery together [along with my parents who had driven Jonathan over to the hospital] while I was stitched up and spent a little time in recovery. We reunited in my room after about an hour and I was able to properly meet and hold and nurse my son for the first time!

We came home at noonish on Thursday and since then have just been mooching around the house with the kiddos! So far I think Abel looks a LOT like Swede did when she was a newborn! [Especially when they wear the same clothes.]

Who is who???

It was obviously not the way I had expected/hoped Abel's birth would go, but I'm beyond grateful that he's healthy and safe.


PS: For the story behind Abel's name, see my answer to question "F" in the A to Z Quiz!

10 comments:

  1. Congrats!! So happy for you guys. Abel is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Both kiddos like identical in those photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? Twins! Swede is the top photo.

      Delete
  3. Wow, they look SO much alike! So the c-section was not planned and just happened after the version didn't seem to work? Scary! But you sound like you handled it like a champ! That's great that even though he was early, he is doing fantastic! My daughter was so tiny full term if she had been early at all, I'm sure she would have been in the NICU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were definitely some scary and not-fun-at-all moments! I'm really glad he wasn't too tiny even though 3 weeks early. If I'd gone to 40 weeks he probably would have been a 9 pounder... That would have been tough in different ways!

      Delete
  4. Awwww... You're a strong mama to go through all of those events in one day! And Abel is one of the most darling newborns I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats again! I can't get over how much your two kiddos look alike at birth! (I have no idea who is who ;) ) I had a planned section so I can appreciate a lot of the same feelings you experienced - especially the whole being "left alone" on the table part. Talk about feeling helpless! I love, love, love the meaning behind naming your son Abel. I'm a huge The National fan too. Our son's name came from one of our favourite bands :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, That part of the C section was the worst. The recovery has been more difficult too.
      Yay, Another fan of The National! Once I touched Matt B. when he came into the crowd at a concert. (I'm such a groupie). What is the meaning behind Sully's name???

      Delete
    2. Ahhh, jealous! They are actually the one band I have yet to see (and we've seen a sh*tload of acts!). They never seem to come up North, except for Vancouver area…one of our favourite bands is Godsmack and the lead in the group's name is Sully (not short for Sullivan though) and I just knew I wanted to name my kid Sully. I also fell in love with Sully from Dr Quinn medicine woman when I was a kid ;)

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.