Sunday, November 1, 2015

Halloween Weekend

Ok, Friends, I have a confession to make. The title of this post is technically true... It was Halloween Weekend. But I didn't really "do" Halloween this year. I don't think Swede is quite old enough to understand what's going on, and she doesn't eat candy yet, so... My apologies for the lack of cute-toddler-in-costume photos below! I'm so impressed by all the creative costumes that I saw this weekend both in real life and on the Internets, but... I blame pregnancy - The thought of coming up with my own idea made me tired! [Side note: Don't think I have some militant anti-candy stance! Swede has had her fair share of ice cream, cookies, and donuts, but I figure we'll delay the inevitable candy-pocalypse as long as we can.]

Here's what this weekend looks like instead! On Saturday I made this Blueberry Buckle Coffeecake from King Arthur Flour for breakfast. It was delicious.


We did go to a Halloween festival in the morning but it was pretty disappointing. The main reason I wanted to go was for the advertised petting zoo, which was not there after all. Arg! Swede wasn't interested in any of the other activities - Bouncy House, Face-Painting, Trick-or-Treating - and the line for the Balloon Animals was too long. Oh well.. Can't win 'em all.

During nap time I finally tackled Step 1 from the Countdown to Baby #2 To-Do List: I organized all Swede's old clothes! All the newborn clothes are ready, and I have a box with 3 month clothes and a box with 6 month-and-larger clothes ready to go when needed.

Baby #2's newborn wardrobe!

We had a a nice day on Sunday. I was worried that the end of Daylight Savings Time would be a struggle for Swede but she handled it really well. As for me, I think it's so much easier to get up at 6:30 am when there's already some daylight than at 7 am when it's still pitch black.

We went to church in the morning and then played at home until nap time. I gave Swede one of her old newborn outfits for her baby doll Mabel and it was a big hit.

Please note Swede is also wearing my shoes. :-)

It's hard to remember when Swede was so little! But here's the proof:


While Swede napped I took Gumball for a hike around the neighborhood and then read. Book of the Week = Still Life by Louise Penny, which I really like so far. It's the first installment of a mystery series set in Quebec featuring a detective named Armand Gamache.

We ran some errands in the afternoon and had dinner with Jonathan's parents, who gave us all their leftover Halloween candy, which I have already OD'd on. What's your favorite Halloween candy? I'd say the Reece's pumpkins, which I think have a better peanut butter to chocolate ratio than normal Reece's, but I'm also partial to Tootsie Rolls and Smarties.

Here's one last photo from the shoot that we did with Jonathan's parents a couple weeks ago. We didn't get hardly any good photos because Swede was really grumpy that day. This one pretty much captures the essence of the day.


Happy November! Good things happening this month = Thanksgiving, obviously, and Swede's birthday on the 18th!

11 comments:

  1. I don't blame you for not taking her trick or treating! I dressed Amelia up to hand out candy with me...but I also wanted to make her wear her costume one more time :) That recipe looks so yummy! Book marking it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps- did you like those booties in her newborn picture? I read about them on Healthy Tipping Point's blog, but I don't think they ship to Canada on Amazon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, There are the same booties that were mentioned on HTP. They are a little pricy but that's all that would stay on her feet. Maybe you could buy them directly from the Zutano website? We got these booties (http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/baby-synchilla-fleece-booties?p=60531-0) when she started walking. Also pricy, but they stay on better than socks and have grippy soles.

      Delete
  3. ooh I'm going to need to make that coffeecake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should, It's delicious!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fun weekend even if you decided to skip Halloween! And that last photo makes me smile. Those are the ones you'll really enjoy later lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a whole collection of photos I call the "self portrait with baby dinosaur series." :-)

      Delete
  5. We took Sully trick or treating around our block this year, and it sure didn't take long for him to catch on to what was going on! About half way through he even started saying "trick or treat" which was so cute. Of course, our motive was to get candy for us ;) haha! That last photo is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! On Sunday I thought that I should have gone out with Swede at least to get some candy for ME! Thankfully my in-laws gave us their leftovers. :-)

      Delete
  6. I don't blame you for putting off the candy train for another year :) Why get them sugared up until they really understand what is going on?! I just couldn't avoid baby costumes, LOL. Yay for a good weekend and transition to DST. I am a morning person so I love the sun coming up earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby costumes are so cute! I love the sock monkey one you have for Dean.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.