Wednesday, January 13, 2016

2016 Race Calendar

I am so happy to be running again! I missed it so much when I was pregnant.

I started running again on January 4th when Abel was six weeks old. [See this post for details about my first week back.] My plan to take the same approach as when I started running after Swede was born. Very slow and steady. Very gradually increasing mileage and pace. No expectations. No pressure.

That said, I am hoping to run the following races in 2016. This may seem ambitious, but having a race on the horizon makes me so much more motivated to keep training. I have NO goals regarding time. I'd just like to finish each race and to have fun!

With Chesleigh after my first half marathon post-Swede in April 2014

I have a long list of "Bucket List" destination races, but this year I'm sticking close to home. The logistics of traveling are more than I can handle right now!

May 29: Narrow Gauge 10-Mile. This gives me almost 5 months to build up to 10 miles. I think that's doable. I ran a 10-mile race when Swede was three months old and a half marathon when she was five months old. I was less active during my second pregnant with Abel, so I think a little more time is a good idea.

June 11: Steamworks Half Marathon. One of my favorite local races.

August 27: Thirsty 13 Half Marathon. This is a newer local race. I did the inaugural run in 2014. It's a pretty course with some nice fast downhill stretches. What are your opinions on running downhill? I know it's not everyone's favorite and can really trash your legs, but I love it.

That's me on the far left in the 2014 Thirsty 13

September 24: Mountain Chili Cha Cha Trail Half Marathon. I've never done this one before. I haven't done a trail race since 2011 and have mixed feelings about them in general. Sometimes it seems like they take away what I love about trail running (not worrying about pace, being alone in the wilderness). I'd like to give this one a try and then decide if I'll do more or keep trail running as a just-for-fun activity.

October 8-9: Durango Double Road and Trail Half Marathons. This is a road half marathon on Saturday and a trail half marathon on Sunday. Jonathan actually WON the inaugural road half marathon in 2013! I haven't decided if I will run the road or the trail race. Or both?!?!

November 24: Turkey Trot 5-Mile. Nothing like going for a run to make you feel better about all the food you'll eat later! Side note: Thanksgiving this year is also Abel's first birthday!!!

With Chesleigh again after the 2014 Turkey Trot

This DOES seem ambitious! We'll see how it goes as the year progresses.

6 comments:

  1. Whoa girl you're amazing! Fantastic list of races. Sounds like the perfect motivation to get the runs in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need the motivation! Without a race on the horizon I have SUCH a hard time training.

      Delete
  2. Ok, I am jealous!! All those races! I kinda want to do a trail half in the next year or so. I did one 4 years ago and liked it, it was more about the challenge than my time like a regular road race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be back in no time! Especially since you are SO much better than me at staying fit & active during pregnancy. I was such a slacker with Abel.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you go, girl! :) That's amazing that you ran a half marathon 5 months postpartum! We don't have turkey trots up here, but I really wanted to do one while I was in Florida last November…sadly, I couldn't get my act together to find a race close to us. Also, running in humidity is no fun! Haha. I'd love to do a trail race one day! When I did a 14K obstacle race last fall, a lot of the running parts was on trails and I realized how much I enjoy that kind of running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in Orlando for two years and I agree completely about running in humidity - It's the WORST. I would love to do an obstacle race... Maybe next year. There just not enough time for all the races I want to do! I need to keep running until I'm 90.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.