Friday, January 29, 2016

Fitness Friday - January 2016

Happy Friday! I'd thought I'd join the "Fitness Friday" team, but I'm going to do the whole month of January. My goal for this month was to run 3 days a week and and to do 2 yoga and/or barre classes.


Week 1 (Jan 3-9): 5K run x 3 at the gym. For these first runs since Abel was born, I did 5/1 run/walk intervals with the run at 12 minutes per mile. The time for my first run was 42:06.

Week 2 (Jan 10-16): 5K run x 3 at the gym, 2 yoga classes. I started running a little faster (11:30 and 11 pace) this week with a short walking break every mile. My best 5K time this week was 37:07. I didn't really like either yoga class but it felt good to stretch.

Week 3 (Jan 17-23): 5K run x 3 at the gym, 1 yoga class, 1 barre class. I had one good run and two mediocre runs this week. I was feeling extra tired due to Abel getting up for frequently at night. My time for the good run was 34:44 and I brought the pace down to 10:00 for the last mile. I liked the yoga class, but the barre class was so-so.

Week 4 (Jan 24-30): 5K x 3 at the gym, 1 yoga class (so far). My best time this week was 34:16 with more time at 10:00 pace and some at 9:40 pace. I'm going to try to do an online yoga class at home tomorrow. I haven't had much luck doing yoga at home in the past... It's too easy to quit! But now that I've said it I feel even more obligated to follow through!

I think it was a successful month! Total mileage = 37.2.

In other news:

Abel had his two-month checkup this week. He weighs 12 lbs, 7 oz - 63%, up from 21% at his two-weeks appointment. He is so deliciously chubby!

   

The best meal we had this week is a tie between Mediterranean Meatballs (made with beef instead of chicken because we had enough chicken on the menu already) and Buffalo Chicken Chili.


Plans for the weekend: A "Totally 80's" preschool dance party at the library!

8 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad you joined the cult ;) You had an awesome month!! That's so impressive that you got to the gym so regularly with having two young children! I haven't utilized the child minding at my gym yet, but I plan to, although the the thought of packing us both up for the gym seems exhausting, lol! ;)

    I'm not very good with doing yoga at home either - I give up too easily or get bored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Packing everyone up for the gym can be an ordeal! I try to make it as stream-lined as possible with a designated gym bag with everyone's gear, but I'm still always running back into to the house for "one last thing!"

      Delete
  2. I did yoga today at home while Wes hung out in the jumper...it felt good to stretch and what not, but couldn't quite clear my mom when he was yelling and babbling. Give and take! Bonus: I did it in my jammies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you just make up your own routine or do a DVD/online class? Definite bonus for PJs!

      Delete
  3. Nicely done on the workouts! Abel is just too cute. Those meatballs look delicious- going to check out the recipe now! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you like the meatballs! They will definitely be a repeat here.

      Delete
  4. Great workouts! I'm trying to do 3 runs + 2-3 strength training workouts. I'm impressed by how much you're doing with two kids. Good job, mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never be able to do it without the gym child care! And am already starting to worry about how to fit it in once I go back to work. Deep breath! One thing at a time...

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.