Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Five Favorites - January 2016

So... January! Often these days I'm reminded of one of Gretchen Rubin's Secrets of Adulthood: The days are long but the years are short. I feel like time is going by so fast. Wasn't it just Christmas? And how is Abel almost two months old? Yet at the same time, the days (and even more so, the nights) can sometimes drag on and on. How can it be both? Such a strange paradox. Anyway... I digress. The point is: Here we are in mid-January so it's time for me to share my favorite things!

1) I splurged on a Patagonia Full-Zip Re-Tool Fleece Jacket for myself for Christmas, and I've been living in it every since. I've had the pullover version for five years and it still looks as good as new, but the full zip is more nursing-friendly. It's so cozy, and I know it'll last for years.


2) Swede is really into Peppa Pig these days. We gave her a stuffed Peppa and a book as her present "from Abel" when he was born, and she's quickly become a big fan. We've checked out several books from the library, and bought a few more, and we've started watching a few of the 5-minute episodes together while I'm nursing Abel in the afternoon. This is the first TV show she has had any interest in. It's really nice to have a few minutes of quiet time.

[Please imagine that there is a cute photo of Swede & Peppa here...  Peppa was feeling camera-shy.]

3) I received the Lauren Fleshman Believe Training Journal as a Christmas gift and have been diligently tracking my workouts since I started running again at the beginning of January. I've never had a dedicated training journal before but I do love keeping track of my runs. The accountant in me has always loved the "numbers" side of running.


4) I mentioned this in my Meal Planning post last week, but I can't get enough of the No-Bake Energy Bites from Gimme Some Oven. They are the perfect little snack pretty much whenever. After a work-out? Yes. For a little something sweet after dinner? Yes. When I realize that I'm absolutely starving during a 3 am nursing session? Yes. I tried the Nutella Energy Bites as well but honestly, if it's Nutella I'd rather just be eating it straight from the jar with a spoon.

Photo credit: Ali Ebright

5) What do you do with your family photos? The past couple years I've been really into making photo albums from Shutterfly. The first one I made was for a vacation with Jonathan to Paris and Amsterdam in 2013, but soon after, once Swede was born, I started making annual books with all our family photos. I update them every couple weeks throughout the year. The 2015 book came a couple weeks ago and I can't stop paging through it.


What are you loving this month???

10 comments:

  1. AMEN to Nutella. I was actually just thinking about how long it has been since I bought a jar. I seriously can't bring it back into the house..Love the album idea! I should probably put one together of 2015 for us, but that requires time and energy both of which I don't have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every once in a while I'll buy a jar of Nutella to see if I can control myself and just eat it ON toast, bananas, etc. And every time I fail!
      I have to update my photo album every month or so... It's too daunting to imagine doing the whole year in one go!

      Delete
  2. Those no bake energy bites are so good! I need to make a photo album for Amelia's first year- I've been printing pictures off, but want to make a photo book too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a photo book just of Swede and now I think I should probably do one just of Abel or else will he feel bad later??? But I'm putting most of his photos into our "family" album already so... Can't decide!

      Delete
  3. I love no bake energy bites! I need to make another shutterfly of Allie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you ever get those "free 8x8 photo book" coupons? I've done three of those just with photos of Swede for the grandparents.

      Delete
  4. Mmm, I'm totally making those energy bite balls! Although, I don't have the best will power when it comes to delicious things…which is also why I can't keep Nutella in the house ;)

    I always, always say I'm going to start making photo albums online, but I have yet to do so. It seems so overwhelming! I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I haven't even filled out Sully's baby book yet. I like the idea of updating the book throughout the year though. I take it you can save your progress then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I failed the Nutella test again (Can I keep it in the house without eating it from the jar with a spoon) and will not be buying another jar for a while...
      Yes - You can save your photo-book-in-progress on Shutterfly. I would never have the time/energy to do one for the whole year if I didn't keep it updated periodically. Which reminds me that I'd better get the 2016 book started!

      Delete
  5. Don't you love splurging on something you've really wanted? That jacket looks great on you.

    I LOVE that fitness planner. I debated buying a separate planner just to write down food/workouts so my personal planner was littered with it. But turns out that's all I really use a planner for at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd much rather splurge on one thingI really love and that will last a long time versus buying a bunch of cheap things that I only sort of like!

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.