Friday, January 15, 2016

Meal Planning Strategy

One of my 2016 Goals is to eat more vegetables. Since that is a pretty open-ended resolution, I decided to be more specific when planning meals for the week ahead. I created five categories, and the plan is to include something from each category in at least one meal per week.

The categories are:
 - Green [Broccoli, Green Beans, Peas]
 - Leafy Green [Spinach, Kale]
 - Orange [Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots]
 - Beans [Kidney, Pinto, Cannolini]
 - Vegetarian

Here's what we had this week:


Saturday - Chili with Cheddar-Jalapeno Muffins
Sunday - A cheese/salami/olive plate [With my first glass of red wine since Abel was born!]
Monday: Fried rice with spinach and mushrooms
Tuesday: Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala [with peas] from Budget Bytes
Wednesday: On your own / Leftovers
Thursday: Butternut Squash Lasagna from Seriously Delish <--My favorite meal this week!
Friday: Pizza!

I only did five categories to give myself some wiggle room for things like pizza night and Sunday's appetizer dinner.

On the menu for next week we have:

Saturday: Take-out
Sunday: Short Rib Hash from Seriously Delish
Monday: Fontina & Spinach Baked Eggs from How Sweet Eats
Tuesday: Macaroni & Cheese with Broccoli & Ham
Wednesday: On your own / Leftovers
Thursday: Chicken Noodle Soup
Friday: Chili Bean Cheese Queso from Dine and Dish

In other delicious news, I can't get enough of the No-Bake Energy Bites from Gimme Some Oven. My new favorite snack.

And my new favorite photo to finish up this post:


What is your favorite vegetable? Is it easy for you to "eat your veggies!" or is it something you have to make an effort to include in your diet?

Have a great weekend!!!

10 comments:

  1. Love that photo!! I need to check out Budget Bytes, I have seen lots of yummy recipes from there lately. It is fairly easy for me to eat my veggies, but I could probably eat more! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was easy for me to eat my veggies! I feel a little pathetic that I have to resort to such a micro-managed schedule to make sure I get one a day! Maybe it'll become more second nature over time... I hope!

      Delete
  2. That's the best photo! I'm interested in the butternut squash lasagna, although I don't think Tyler would go for it.
    I always eat two veggies with lunch and try to have at least one in dinner! If only they weren't so expensive here. I saw that a thing of CELERY was FOUR DOLLARS at the grocery store this week. What the heck?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember the last time I had a veggie at lunch, unless I was eating leftovers. I wish it wasn't so hard for me to get them in.
      My husband claims he doesn't like butternut squash but he likes this lasagna, so maybe it's worth a try!

      Delete
  3. I need to be better with eating veggies and fruits. I just always reach for the carbs (love carbs!) and need to get better. Those energy bites are so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am seriously addicted to the energy bites!

      Delete
  4. I definitely have to make an effort to get my veggies in. I swear I can go days without eating one, lol. This is another reason why I like to do smoothies - I can get in so much veggies in one drink - way more than I would if I tried to eat them.

    Was you it you I discovered Budget Bytes from? I can't remember, but I've been making a few meals from there and love her blog! The prices breakdown doesn't always work for us in Canada, but I still like the breakdown and step by step instructions! I consider myself a good cook, but I still appreciate more precise steps!

    Good for you for meal planning and sticking to it with a toddler and a newborn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Putting veggies in smoothies is such a good idea. I need a new blender but haven't decided how much I want to spend. I don't think I can stomach the Vitamix price tag, but maybe a Ninja...?
      I thought I heard of Budget Bytes from YOU actually!

      Delete
  5. My favorite is spaghetti squash, but I've been really loving Brussel sprouts lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I always forget about spaghetti squash! My go-to is butternut. I love Brussels sprouts - The crispier the better.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.