Saturday, January 9, 2016

The First Week of 2016

How is 2016 treating you so far? I confess I haven't made much progress with my 2016 Goals yet, but the good things about goals versus resolutions, in my opinion, is that goals are a work in progress. I don't have to feel like I've failed if I'm not perfect every single day. Jonathan was in Denver for work for three days this week so my focus was just on taking care of myself and the kids.

Here are some things that happened this week:

1) I started running again! I went to the gym on Monday, Thursday, and Saturday. I did a 5K run on the treadmill each time with 5/1 run/walk intervals and varied incline. I did the run portion at 12 minutes per mile. Each run has gotten progressively better. My goal for the month of January is either to run all 3 miles, or to increase the speed of the run portion closer to 10 min/mi - I haven't decided which is the better approach. I am so happy to be running again. Endorphins, I missed you!


2) We had another EPIC week of snow. It snowed all day on Wednesday and again on Friday. Swede's preschool was cancelled on Thursday, and I had to reschedule a doctor's appointment on Friday because I couldn't get my car over the mountain of snow at the top of the driveway. [Let me just say, I did not handle THAT so well.] I really really want to try out the snowshoes that Jonathan's parents gave me for Christmas but haven't gotten the opportunity yet.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep. [Name that poem!]

3) Some days I feel like I'm finally becoming more comfortable and confident with the new normal that is life with two kids. Some days... Not so much! Thursday was a really good day. Friday was a less good day. [<--See above.] It's another work in progress. 


Swede learning to talk has been on of the most fun things ever! I love her sweet voice and adorable pronunciation. Her latest word is octopus. [Ock-pus!] I've said this at every age so far, but she's at such a fun age. I love talking to her and playing with her. The key to having [and being!] more fun with Swede is to a) put down the phone, even for photos and b) don't try to get anything else done. If I completely immerse myself in whatever we're doing... We have a blast! It's when I'm trying to simultaneously manage the to-do list that I get frustrated.


Abel is starting to wake up a little. He is a very sleepy baby. Swede was the same way. He has a short awake period in the morning, and again in the late afternoon, but the rest of the time he wants to be sleeping. He likes to be held, of course, but will also sleep in the swing or nap in his crib. To my immense relief, he has started sleeping longer stretches at night this week. Not every night, but we're making progress in the right direction. He is so sweet and snuggly. And he smells so good... That perfect combination of milk and baby lotion and innocence.

4) The best [and the only] new recipe that I tried this week is for these Too Much Cheddar and Jalapeño Muffins by Joy the Baker. We had them with chili for lunch today. A much better accompaniment to chili that the traditional corn muffins. [I don't know about you but I have yet to find a corn muffin recipe that isn't dry-as-a-bone.] They are best when FRESH from the oven. I made a few with just cheese for Swede before adding the jalapeños so that works too if spicy isn't your thing.


That's all for now! I hope you're having a great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Yay for getting back into running!! Good work! Do you utilize child minding at the gym, or do your parents help out? (Just curious what other mom's do!) I'm dying to get back into a gym - I just don't workout as well at home. I love Sully's sweet little voice too - my mother in law keeps telling me how much I will miss it when it's gone :( :( I have to get better at getting it on video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do use the childcare at the gym - It's a lifesaver!
      I've been a little obsessed recently with taking videos of Ingrid talking, I know I will love to have them later. I can't figure out what is the best way to save them forever though.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, that little man is ADORABLE. I had a recipe for cornbread that was out of this world fantastic, but it was like 90% sugar. I want to try that recipe, though! I love joy the baker- so many good recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, That sounds like cornbread I could work with! :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, Abel is so cute in that photo! Cuteness overload. And yay for running - it definitely does feel good to have those workout endorphins :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like him. :-)
      Yay for endorphins!

      Delete
  4. Yay for running again! Who watches Abel while you run? Your kids are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gym has child care - Thank goodness!

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.