Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Coffee Date #2

Happy Groundhog Day! I guess the official prediction is an early spring! We've had plenty of snow this winter already so I'd be completely fine if that's the case.

Anyway, I think it's time for another coffee date! Let me tell you...

Last weekend will not be making the highlight reel of stellar parenting moments. Just as Swede was recovering from a weeklong cold and cough, she picked up a nasty virus complete with a high fever and SERIOUS crankiness. We did not make it to the preschool dance party on Saturday or to church on Sunday. Instead... There was: Lots of crying. Lots of waking up at all hours of the night. Lots of "yummy cherry candy syrup," which Swede has finally, thankfully, started to take willingly. Lots of cuddles. LOTS of Peppa Pig. We are now in Peppa Pig withdrawal as she doesn't appreciate that we're back to the 30-minutes-a-day rule. Thankfully, she recovered from the fever quickly and didn't pass it along to the rest of the family.


One highlight from the weekend is that when Jonathan took the kids to visit his parents on Sunday afternoon, I took GB on a snowshoe hike around the neighborhood!


Before Abel was born, even while I was pregnant, I wanted another girl. I was a little jealous when I heard about friends who were expecting a second baby girl. But now that Abel is here... I can't even remember what it felt like to feel that way. How could I have not understood that a little boy [THIS little boy] was the perfect addition to our family? Also, before Abel was born, I thought that I might want three kids. Not that we were planning on three kids. But I thought that I might be sad to know that Abel was my last baby. But now that he's here... I feel like our family is complete. Maybe I'll feel differently once he's a rambunctious toddler instead of a cuddly newborn! But for now, I feel complete.


I've been really obsessed with the capsule wardrobe idea. Does anyone do this? I guess I'm currently working with a capsule wardrobe in that there are very few items in my closet that fit comfortably or that I like wearing. But I'd like all my clothes to "go" together, rather than having this piecemeal collection. And I'd like my style to be a little, I don't know... Classier? Than my current sweatpants and fleece look. Is slim black pants and cashmere cardigans a ridiculous idea for a work-at-home-mom with two kids under the age of three? And I suppose a pearl necklace is out as Abel approaches the Mr. Grabby Hands stage? [I think the answer to both questions is YES.]

I've been reading My Year of Running Dangerously by Tom Foreman, and if you'd like to read something that motivates you to run a marathon [or an ultra marathon]... This is the book! I thought I had crossed the marathon off my bucket list back in 2007, but here I am contemplating one for 2017. I also like this book because it begins with a dad and daughter running a marathon together, and my dad has been one of my running buddies for many years. We ran my first half marathon together in 2003! [Side note: It took me a solid decade to match my time from that race.] And in 2011 we were teammates in the Trans-Rockies Run - A six-day 120-mile trail race, which I attest to this day was a more difficult feat than childbirth. [I did have an epidural with Swede, but still.]


That's all for today! I hope you're having a nice Tuesday.

10 comments:

  1. Poor Swede! Amelia has a runny nose and cough, but luckily no fevers. We can thank daycare for that and for passing it onto me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should send the kids in to day care with those paper masks over their mouths... Think that would work??? ;-)

      Delete
  2. I am not looking forward to kids tv shows!!! I already have a hard time getting the toys jungles out of my head! I'd like to do capsule but I have no idea how I can part with some stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have the Peppa Pig theme song in my head pretty much 24/7. But it's worth it to get a little quiet time. And it saved the day at the Dr office!

      Delete
  3. A sick kid is the worst!!! I wanted a boy before I had Allie and now I only want girls. Lol I know that will change if I do end up with a boy. I also want 3 kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still think 3 (or 4!) kids would be fun. I always liked the idea of a big loud crazy family. Maybe if we had gotten started sooner... Or if we had more money. College x4??? Yikes.

      Delete
  4. Aw poor Swede! I've been relying on the tv a little more than I'd like to admit lately and I think we need to go back to enforcing the 30 minute rule too. Before Sully was born, I really wanted a girl. Now that I have a boy, I actually would love to have another boy (if we have another kid), although my husband says I'm just saying that so that I don't jinx it (like as if that works! haha).

    That's so awesome that you and your dad run together. I played adult soccer with my dad for a few years and it was so fun to bond over it. I hope to be that kind of parent with my grown children too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like magically whatever you have (all boys, all girls, a mix) is the exact perfect fit for your family! Because of course once they are here how could we ever imagine or wish they were different.
      It's so hard not to overdo the TV when you need to get just one last thing done! But I'm really trying to encourage independent play (after the 30 minutes are done, I'm not giving that up!) Swede has gotten much better at playing on her own since turning 2.

      Delete
  5. Awww, so sorry to hear about Swede being under the weather! She sounds like a trooper. Glad she is feeling better now!

    I am the ONLY person in my family that runs. That is so wonderful that you and your father can share that together! None of my family members understand. They're always asking the typical questions like, "Did you win the race?" LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I remember getting "How far was your marathon today?" from non-runners (when I'd done a 5K).

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.