Thursday, February 11, 2016

Fitness Friday - Bucket List Races

Happy Friday! Instead of doing a recap of my workouts this week [which were decidedly mediocre due to picking up Swede's cold on Sunday] I think I'll talk about something more fun: Bucket List races! These are the races that I would love love LOVE to do someday.

I'm actually a little unsure about destination races. I worry that... A) I'll get too tired sightseeing before the race that I'll have a bad race, B) I'll be too tired after the race to enjoy sightseeing, and/or C) I'll be too deep in the "pain cave" during the race to enjoy the course! I've only ever traveled specifically for a race once, in 2012 when I met some of my Florida friends for the Savannah Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon, which was awesome, so maybe I shouldn't worry so much. I don't even know if or when I'll ever do these races, but it's fun to dream.


1) OK, This is a sad one, because as I searched for the link to my top Bucket List race, the Nike Women's San Francisco Half Marathon, I found out that the race has been discontinued! Major bummer. I'd had my heart set of getting that Tiffany necklace someday.

2) Big Sur International Marathon: This is supposed to be one of the prettiest races in the world! The Half Marathon on Monterey Bay would also be neat if I don't have a full marathon in me.

3) Flying Pig: I don't know why but this race has always appealed to me. Maybe it's the funny name. I can't think of any other reason I would ever go to Cincinnati!

4) Tinker Bell Half Marathon at Disneyland: I ran the Disney World Marathon twice when I lived in Orlando, and grew up going to Disneyland in California. I think it'd be fun to do this race in costume!

5) Patagonia Running Adventure: I have wanted to do this multi-day running adventure trip in Patagonia ever since I saw an article about it in Trail Runner Magazine many years ago. It's a much bigger proposition than any of the single races above, so I'm not sure if it will ever happen, but it's definitely on the "someday maybe" list.

One race that was previously on the Bucket List is the Trans-Rockies Run, a six-day, 120-mile trail race in the Colorado Rocky Mountains that I completed with my dad in 2011. It was a very difficult but really incredible experience! [I also met Dean Karnazes! In the bottom right photo below.]


What are your thoughts of traveling for races? Do you have any Bucket List races?

6 comments:

  1. When we ran Disney we spent the entire day before at the park until 10pm, I thought for sure it would make the race horrible but being that it was a fun race for us it did not really matter!
    What the San Fran Nike one is cancelled?! Boo, it was on my list too. I want to run a Rock N Roll race too and and one in NYC :) But until our dollar is better I am sticking to local races!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why it was cancelled... Very disappointing and strange because it was SO popular!

      Delete
  2. Ummm, you need to add a Canadian race to this list! ;) Think of the money you'd save since your dollar is SO much better than ours is! Haha. It's too late to register for this year, but Seawheeze is a great race (with great swag). Not that I've done it, but it's one I'd like to do one year! I've travelled twice for races, but only a few hours away, and I find it a bit more stressful than when I run a local race. I get stressed about the logistics of getting to the start line and knowing my way around. But it is fun to get medals with different cities names on them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to do Seawheeze! I agree that the logistics can be stressful especially with a big race. Staying within walking distance of the start is ideal in my opinion but can be pricy!

      Delete
  3. I would do more destination races, but it's so expensive. The big sur marathon is definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I wish it wasn't so pricy. The entry fees alone can be steep let alone travel and lodging. Not sure I'll ever do these, but it's fun to dream!

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.