Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Unplugged30

Here we are in March already!


This month I've been inspired by Sarah at The SHU Box to do an "Unplugged30" challenge to drastically cut back on the amount of time I spend idly browsing online. I wrote a little bit in this post last fall about how frustrated I've become at my default habit of picking up my phone to check email, FB, and IG whenever there is a two minute pause in life. Not to mention how often I spend much more than two minutes scrolling randomly through the internets while feeding Abel. HERE are Sarah's rules for her Unplugged30 challenge, which just finished up today. And here are the rules I'm going to follow for the month of March.

     1) No Facebook or Instagram

     2) No internet shopping. [Gasp!] This coincides with another resolution I've made to not buy any new clothes until April 15th.

     3) My phone is to be used for phone calls and texting only. OK, I'm on the fence about whether I should take photos with my phone or not. I love having lots of photos of the kids, and I know I will cherish my Shutterfly albums more and more with each passing year. But, I hate the fact that my first response whenever the kids are doing anything remotely cute is the grab my phone to take a photo. And I wonder sometimes what effect it has on the children of today to be perpetually center stage. If I want to take a photo, I should pull out the real camera. Using the phone camera to me is a gateway drug to checking my email, FB, IG, etc.



     4) I do enjoy reading blogs, so I'll continue that, but in one designated session per day (on my real computer) rather than randomly throughout the day.

Why am I doing this? In an attempt to be more present in my daily life. And because I feel that we are losing the ability to tolerate, let alone appreciate, moment of stillness in this increasingly fast-paced world. Lately, when I've been feeding Abel, I have put the phone aside, or turned off the TV, and found an unexpectedly peaceful, rather than the boredom I was so desperate to alleviate.

What do you think? Does anyone want to join me? Maybe just for a day?

8 comments:

  1. Oh man, I dunno! So often I feel like social media is the only adult interaction I get during the day as a stay at home mom. BUT I do struggle with balance. I know I'm addicted to my phone and spend way too much time on it. And then I would also struggle with the whole pictures part too. Good luck! I can't wait to here how it goes for you! Maybe your story will be the inspiration I need! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three days in... I'm slowly starting to get out of the habit of carrying my phone around everywhere. I've realized it's really the random-5-min- here-and-there-because-I'm-bored phone use that I want to curtail. I think I will always struggle with the balance to keep in touch with friends and to use it for photos without giving in to the other distractions available. This is SUCH a first world problem!!!

      Delete
  2. Wow great goals here! I might be able to do unplugged for a day or a weekend, but a whole month???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do this! I hate that I'm constantly picking up my phone the moment I'm bored. Lately, I've been trying to leave my phone in our bedroom. I'm a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to think of my phone as a land line, to keep it in one place and if I want to use it I can go there, versus having it on my at all times. It's the adult security blanket I think! Swede is less attached to her blank than I am to my phone! I do miss using the camera but just need to get out the real camera instead.

      Delete
  4. Great plan! I have done a social media/internet fast before and the results were amazing. I didn't miss any social media (especially Instagram!) one bit. But doing a fast has never "broken" any of my habits sadly, because it's just so addicting. I definitely want to spend less time just wasting my time and more time doing stuff. Setting daily goals on a sticky note has helped and when I realize I've been scrolling Insta for 5 mins I'm like, okay, regroup, and look at the list and see what I could be doing instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've heard that with technology cleanses, like with diets, once the 30 days (or whatever) is over, that we go back to our old habits. I've realized that what I really want to limit is phone usage. I don't think it's bad to check FB, read blogs, do some shopping, etc on my computer during a designated "screen time," but I don't want to be always picking up my phone, especially when I'm with the kids. Another thing I realized - I'm sure we all plan to set screen time limits for our children, so we need to be the example, and adhere to the same limits ourselves!

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.