Thursday, May 19, 2016

Five Favorites - May 2016

Not only did I skip the "Currently" post in April, but I realize now I didn't do a "Favorites" post either. I guess I was too busy dealing with and then recovering from my busy season at work. At one point I remember thinking, "Ugh, I don't like anything right now! No way can I talk about my favorite things." I'm feeling a little more in control of life these days, thankfully, so I do have some new favorites to share!

(Although let me just say that my decision to sleep and potty train both kids simultaneously was not the best idea I've ever had, and I'm not even going to get started on the Saga of the Root Canal).

1) My new food blog obsession: Cookies & Cups. For a long time my favorite food blog was How Sweet Eats, but the recipes, while delicious, are often too complicated for me these days. Cookies & Cups is mostly a dessert blog, but I really love the dinner recipes too. I've tried Easy Skillet Tamale Pie and Garlic Bread Pasta (from The Cookies & Cups Cookbook via The Hungry Housewife) and next I'm planning to try Philly Cheesesteak Mac & Cheese. The Chocolate Stuffed Oatmeal Bars I made last weekend are from the cookbook too.


2) My friend Tyffani recently became a consultant for Beautycounter which sells make-up and skincare products that are super safe. (It seems crazy that I'm very aware of trying to avoid toxic chemicals in shampoo, body wash, cleaning products, and food, but I'd never considered make-up!) Tyffani recommended the Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer to me and I really like it. I don't wear much make-up at all so I like that this works as an moisturizer (with SPF20) but also has a little tint to help even out my skin. My goal is always "to look like myself but better"!

3) We bought a Strider Balance Bike for Swede a couple weeks ago and I've been so impressed how quickly she's learned how to ride it. We haven't had the greatest weather lately so she's only used it a half-dozen times or so but she really seems to enjoy it, and I think she feels like a grown-up kid with her own bike!


4) I just bought a pair of Madewell High-Rise Skinny Crop Jeans (based on Landen's recommendation - Please see her blog for photos of a normal person wearing these jeans, because I am not very good at "fashion" photos) and I loooooove them. They are really comfortable and cute.

5) A couple weeks ago I picked up Shauna Niequest's daily devotional Savor: Living Abundantly Where You Are, As You Are, and I've been really enjoying it. I read it while I'm pumping in the morning, which is not quite the peaceful early-morning-cup-of-tea-and-devotion I wish it was, but that's the stage of life I'm in right now!



That's all! What are you loving lately?

8 comments:

  1. She looks so grown up on the bike! Love it. Hm, what am I loving lately? That it's Friday and it's a long weekend! Hope you have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is SO grown up! I can't believe it.
      Yay Weekend! Too bad you didn't have very good weather though.

      Delete
  2. Excited to have a new blog to read! That book looks really good, I think I will check it out! And is there anything cuter than little kids on bikes? Nope :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I saw your comment on Melissa's blog. Congrats again about the baby on the way! :-)

      Delete
  3. I love "Favorites" posts! It's always so fun to hear about new products and experiences from my fellow bloggers. Those recipes you shared all sound amazing. I use a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen, too, and I love it. It makes me feel more polished without going all-in on the makeup, you too? The picture of Swede on her new bike is too adorable. The daily devotional book sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, The tinted moisturizer is my new makeup superhero! I feel exactly the same - A little more polished with very little effort.
      We tried the Philly M&C last night and it was sooo good. Not the healthiest food on that site but super delicious!

      Delete
  4. Aww she's so cute on her bike! Isn't it amazing how fast they pick it up?! I was worried we made a big mistake getting this bike, but Sully had the hang of it his second time out. I mean he's slow, and he will not allow us to help him at all, but he can push himself along for quite a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, She loves it! We did make the mistake of going too far one time though and I ended up carrying Swede AND the bike back home... Lesson learned!

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.