Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Memorial Day Weekend 2016

Holy moly! Super long weekend recap coming at you, Friends! I won't waste any time...

[Although I want to add a caveat to every weekend recap post that these are just the highlights! I don't want to be someone who presents a perfectly curated version of life that isn't at all real, so believe me when I say there are always plenty of toddler tantrums and fussy babies and tired parents and various frustrating moments. But the good far outweighs the bad, and that's what I'm focused on here!]

On Friday I ran 4 miles at the gym then went with my mom & the kids to explore an open space park along the Florida River. 




On Saturday we had a slow start to the morning but eventually headed out to the library and to pick up my race packet at the Durango Running Company. 



On Sunday morning I ran the Narrow Gauge 10-Mile in 1:41:04. More details later but it was a pretty good race!

Also on Sunday, we finally (FINALLY!) reorganized the house to give Abel his own bedroom. (The TV and Jonathan's music were in our 3rd bedroom). We meant to do this before Abel was born but he surprised us three weeks early and we haven't gotten around to it since. He's actually been sleeping in a Pack 'n' Play in the downstairs powder bathroom all this time! 


While the wall of records isn't my favorite look aesthetically, it is nice to be able to listen to music while we're playing with the kids, cooking, etc. 

On Monday we went to the park in the morning then had a super delicious cheese & salami & olive & fruit plate for lunch. 




After nap time, we headed over to my parents' house for a BBQ picnic. We had steak, potato salad, corn on the cob, and brownies for dessert! Unfortunately the kids were both super grumpy the whole time we were there. I think they are both coming down with a cold... Hopefully of short duration.

In other news, Abel started sitting up on his own this weekend! 


I can't decide which of these photos I like best!

I think the summer is off to a great start! I hope you had a lovely weekend too.

10 comments:

  1. A perfect long weekend! Awesome job on your race too! Abel is so big!! It seems like he was just born lol. I love all those photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that way about Chloe! We were JUST pregnant and now they are sitting up and smiling!

      Delete
  2. Ah all the running! Way to go! I so wish I had been able to race somewhere this past weekend. It's the best way to kick off summer, imo.

    I have a feeling what you just said about Abel's room will happen with my second kid. We are working on moving into a new house and want to have it set up as C's room and then a guest room. But I think the second kid will just kind of not have a room until it's like absolutely necessary and just sleep in our room? That's exciting that he has his own space now!

    He is SO cute! I definitely can't decide which of those photos is cutest either. Collage was a good idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are there many races in Hawaii?
      We tried Abel in our bedroom for a couple weeks but he was such a noisy sleeper I had to move him to the bathroom! He is such a classic 2nd baby... I am much lower key about everything! Although now that he's finally in his own room I'm excited to decorate a little.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great weekend! Congratulations on your race- how did you feel? Abel looks so big sitting up on his own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It felt good to be "racing" again after a year off. Slow and steady is my motto these days. :-)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the race! I'm having a hard time picturing what 10miles would feel like ;)
    That snack plate looks delicious! That's my favourite way to eat! I actually really like the records in your room - way better than CDs! ;) We have a huge collection of CDs that we're having trouble purging, but they are not kept out in the open. I always tell Jim that I wish we had jumped on the record bandwagon years ago instead of CDs. A much more distinguished look in my opinion ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard. That's what it feels like. I doing a half marathon next weekend and a little worried since the last 3 miles of the 10 were tough... What will the last 3 miles of 13 feel like?!?!
      Ah yes, Thank you - We are such music connoisseurs! Ha, I really can't actually take any credit. We do have many CDs out of sight as well but luckily J switched to records in 2006ish.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.