Tuesday, May 24, 2016

On Running [post-Baby #2]

As I'm getting ready for my first race since Abel was born, the Narrow Gauge 10-Mile on May 29th, I've been thinking about how different it is getting back in shape these past six months versus after Swede was born two years ago. The bottom line is: It's been a harder and slower process. There are many reasons why this is the case. I am (obviously) two years older - I do think that makes a difference in how quickly we bounce back. And I was less active during my pregnancy with Abel.

Taken during the Trans-Rockies Run in 2011
Back when running was the ONLY thing!

More importantly, I'm just less focused - mentally, physically, emotionally - on running these days. Don't get me wrong, I still love running, and it's very high on the priority list, but... I'm tired! I don't get nearly enough sleep. And mentally, I don't have it in me right now to push myself through the discomfort when I'm having a tough day. If the pace feels too hard, I slow down. Maybe that doesn't sound revolutionary, but I used to have more mental stamina, and it's made me aware how much it is mental.

With Jenny at the Thirsty 13 in 2014

Another difference is that it doesn't really bother me to feel this way. While I was pregnant with Swede, I was really worried that I wouldn't ever get back in shape, that I wouldn't ever feel like myself again. But now... I know that's not true. I know I'm still me. I know the drive to train hard will come back. So I feel OK that I'm taking it easy right now.

With Laura at the Kiss Me Dirty 5K in 2012
PS: I might cut my hair this short again... Thoughts?

I'd better amend that last sentence. Most of the time, I feel OK that I'm taking it easy right now. The first two races I have planned this summer, the Narrow Gauge 10-Mile this weekend, and the Steamworks Half Marathon on June 11th, are both races that I've done several times before. So it can be hard to know that I'll be setting "PWs" this year. It's difficult to not compare myself... to myself! Let alone to other moms who are crushing it six months post-partum. (I'm looking at you Kristen!)

With my mom after Steamworks in 2012

I really do love running still, and I'm super excited to start doing races again, despite the PW component. I like the camaraderie of race day, and it really helps me stay dedicated and motivated to training when I have a specific goal in mind. I've been thinking lately that I'd like to get one more set of PRs in the next five years or so. Especially in the half marathon (1:49:57) and the marathon (4:01:12). But that is a plan, and a conversation, for another day!

To my fellow runners... Have you had stages in life where running was more or less important to you? Is anyone else racing this weekend?

(I'm linking up with Marcia, Patti, and Erika for Tuesdays on the Run!)

14 comments:

  1. I'm sure you have alot of things on your plate now being a mom to two kids that running is put on the back burner at times and that's ok. Just being happy with where you are is all that matters eight now. And like you said, you'll get there eventually. Goodluck in your upcoming races.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's all about perspective! Sometimes when I wish I was running faster & training harder these days I have step back and remind myself that I do have a lot else going on.

      Delete
  2. I definitely feel like since having Amelia, my goals and desires have changed when it comes to running. I'm running my first half marathon since having her (16 months later), and before this had no desire to train for one. It takes so much time that you really want to 'want' it and that you will enjoy it.

    I'm racing this weekend as well! Good luck to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy to remember 5-10 years ago when I didn't have a husband, a dog, let alone the kids, and was so super focused on running. All my PRs but one are from 2007. Priorities change!

      Delete
  3. I have gone through this alot! Actually I have been putting running on the back burner for a few years now and I am just now motivated again.
    Good luck this weekend and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely one of those rockstar moms getting back in shape superfast after a baby - I'm so impressed!

      Delete
  4. It is so great that you are out there and running! especially with your two children! way to go !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had SO many ups and downs with running. There are so many times where I think about hanging up my shoes, only to pick them back up later. That's the great thing about running, is that it'll always be there for us in whatever way, shape, or form we want. It takes mental fortitude to get back on track with running after laying low for awhile! It's SO hard not to compare ourselves to ourselves. But indeed, the most important thing is that we feel comfortable with where we are at, at least most of the time. It sounds like you are there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting back in shape is so hard. The other day I said that since I'm done being pregnant, I never want to get out of shape again ever! I want to be one of those old ladies winning the 90+ category. ;-)

      Delete
  6. I did not run before my kids and didn't start until they were older. I am always so impressed by moms who find a way to make it all work. Good luck this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right now, I'm realizing that I enjoy running for the social aspect of it. (Races, running with friends). My heart just isn't in it right now otherwise. Which is fine since I like to do all sorts of things fitness related. My first 10K of the year is this weekend and I'm definitely not prepared, but I've accepted that I'm not running for any PR, just to enjoy a new to me race. Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing so many other cool workout classes these days! One of things I miss about Denver vs living in a small town now is the variety of studio classes. Also there aren't that many races.. But that's probably a good thing for my wallet since the entry fees add up!

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.