Thursday, June 2, 2016

Race Report: Narrow Gauge 10-Mile

Friends! I am so excited to share my first race report with you. One of the main reasons I decided to start a blog was to chat about running, but I'm only just now really get back into it since Abel was born.

Some thoughts:

I realized that I'm not very good at taking photos during the run. I've often planned to "take it easy" during a race but once it starts I just want to go, go, GO!

The course is a big loop, which is my 2nd favorite after a point-to-point. I think out-and-back is the worst! It starts at Santa Rita Park on the Animas River. The first two miles are up, up, up, to Fort Lewis College on the mesa above Durango. The course loops around the college, with some pretty views from Rim Drive, then it's down, down, down, and along the river back through town to the start & finish.

This is the 4th time I've done this race. I ran it in 2007 & 2008 when I was in college. At that time the course was a little different and went backwards, so you went up the 2nd big hill around Mile 5-6. I like the course better the way it is now, although the long downhill finish was fun.

I grabbed a cup of water at every aid station (every two miles) and had a GU at Mile 4 & Mile 8.


Mile 1 & 2 - 11:05, 11:05. Very consistent pace on the uphill here! I don't mind an uphill start... If I have to run uphill at all, that is! It helps me from starting out too fast and it's nice to get the hill over with rather than dread it the whole race.

Mile 3, 4, 5  - 9:58, 10:17, 9:48. This was looping around campus. I paused to take a couple photos of the view. I felt really good at this point. I was happy that I'd made it up the hill and my legs felt fresh.


Mile 6 & 7 - 8:49, 9:39. A faster mile going down the big hill at the north end of campus, and then a slower mile winding through a neighborhood back to the river.

Mile 8, 9, 10 - 9:59, 10:13, 9:55. These last three miles on the bike path along the river were a little rough but not actually that much slower. I was feeling pretty tired though. Also, I know this part of the course really well and sometimes that makes it go by faster, but this time it just made it so that I knew exactly how far I still had to go.

Final time - 1:40:47

In 2014 I did this race in 1:32:12 when Swede was 6 months old. So I'm definitely slower than I was then, but I knew I would be. My goal was to finish in <1:45 this time... Success!

At the end I picked up a pint glass (instead of a medal) and a breakfast burrito, then headed home!

What is your favorite type of race course - Loop, Point-to-Point, Out-and-Back?

Would you rather have any uphill start or an uphill finish?

10 comments:

  1. hmmmm i quite like out and back agains! i'm not really fussed though, big loop or point to point is good as well. i think i would prefer an uphill start vs a finish. i like the finish nice and flat lol. congrats on meeting your goal though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are easy to please! I just hate thinking the whole way out on the out-and-back that I have to do it all over again!

      Delete
  2. HUGE congratulations, Kelly! Great job and way to push through! You CRUSHED your goal! I agree that I'd much rather have the hills during the early part of a race and get them out of the way than have to dread them the whole time. It looks like you ran a nice solid negative split! Beautiful pictures, as always. Pint glasses are fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily! I never know what to expect at my first race back after a long break - It had been since January 2015! - So very glad that it went better than I'd hoped. A good start to the summer season. :-)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on a great race! I think I like uphill starts rather than finishes. Your legs don't usually have much left at the end and having to run up a hill is mean! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My next race is a half m on June 11 that finishes uphill... Not a big hill, but the last 3 mi are more uphill than not and at that point it feels extra tough!

      Delete
  4. Those views look amazing!! And I think I'd rather get the uphill out of the way at the start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The view was so pretty! The photo doesn't actually do it justice. I guess you don't have to worry about the uphill much in Chicago! :-)

      Delete
  5. You are a rockstar!!!!! Congratulations on a great race! The pictures are beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.