Monday, June 13, 2016

Reading Roundup - May 2016

Hey Friends! I have a pretty random collection of books to share with you today... Not my usual modern fiction selections, but sometimes it good to read outside the box!


1) Turn Right at Machu Picchu: Rediscovering the Lost City One Step at a Time by Mark Adams. 4/5 stars. This book is a really interesting combination of the history of the last days of the Inca Empire and the "rediscovery" of Machu Picchu in 1911 by Hiram Bingham III, alternating with a travelogue of the author's personal adventures trekking on the Inca Trails.

2) For the Love: Fighting for Grace in a World of Impossible Standards by Jen Hatmaker. 3.5/5 stars. This is a collection of essays, some serious and some laugh-out-loud funny, about navigating modern life with grace, towards ourselves and others. Some of the chapters really spoke to me, and some didn't. For a more detailed review, see HERE! I agree with pretty much everything Melissa said.

3) Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin. 3.5/5 stars. I reread this one at the same time as For the Love because I wanted to take my time with that one to let it sink in. Emily Giffin is one of my favorite chick-lit authors. This one is about what happens when Ellen, newly and happily married to Andy, runs into Leo, the one that broke her heart years before.

4) Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. 3.5/5 stars. I picked this one up while waiting for some library holds to come in. I think this is the silliest of Jane Austen's books. It's a bit of a parody and the characters aren't as well developed. But silly Jane Austen is better than no Jane Austen!

Swede's Book of the Month: Snappsy the Alligator (Did Not Ask to Be in This Book). This is a funny book about, obviously, Snappsy the Alligator, who is just having a perfectly normal day until the narrator comes along to misinterpret his actions.


That's all! What have you been reading lately?


(As usual I'm linking up with Stephanie and Jana for Show Us Your Books!)

14 comments:

  1. Turn Right at Machu Picchu sounds really good! I love reading about ancient culture. Adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read much non-fiction or history but this one was really good. Very fun and engaging. I liked the back and forth between the history and the modern-day.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I'm always on the lookout for new books to read, and this is a terrific list. Right now I'm reading "In The Unlikely Event" by Judy Blume. I'm just a few chapters in, but currently having trouble keeping all the characters straight. Hopefully it'll get easier with more progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Judy Blume! I saw that you were reading that, I didn't know she did adult books too. I think more books should have a "cast of characters" at the beginning like they have in plays to help readers stay organized!

      Delete
  3. Hah, thanks for linking my review. I'm glad we had similar thoughts on it. It was such a mixed bag for me.

    I've always wanted to pick up Emily Giffin's books but haven't. I think those would be some good beach reads. That alligator book looks super cute. I LOVE kids books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily Giffin's books are perfect beach reads I think. I like the earlier ones better - Something Borrowed, Something Blue.
      I was so excited when Swede graduated from board books to real kids books - So much fun!

      Delete
  4. oh i love northanger because it is so silly :) henry tilney is one of my favourite characters, and i quite like catherine, even if she was ridiculous naive. love the one you're with is on my shelf, hoping to get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh It's silly in the very best way! Henry Tileny is so smart & funny.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the suggestions! I need to grab a new book :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a huge Austen fan but I did like Northanger Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not read any Emily Griffin but I've been meaning to, so thanks for the reminder! I have not read Northanger Abbey and a silly Austen sounds kind of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should start with Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin, That's the first and might be my favorite.

      Delete
  8. Stopping by from the linkup...Machu Picchu is on my MUST TRAVEL TO LIST, so I bet this would be a good one to read before heading there!

    -Heather
    I do what I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to go to Machu Picchu too and would definitely re-read this book before I went, It will add so much history and depth to what you see & do there.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.