Sunday, June 26, 2016

Weekend in Breckenridge

This weekend I went to Breckenridge for a quick getaway with some of my friends from Denver. Jenny's husband organized the trip as a surprise for her 30th birthday!

Breckenridge is one of my favorite mountain towns. I like that it's an actual town instead of a fabricated ski-town like Vail. Main Street is lined with unique shops (rather than the same old kitschy Colorado knick-knack and t-shirt shops) and local restaurants.

On Saturday for dinner we had "Colorado Inspired Cuisine" at Relish. I enjoyed this "Breckenridge Vodka Cosmo-Mintini" and a fancy chocolate-peanut butter dessert concoction. For my entree I had a steak with mashed potatoes and Swiss chard - It was good but not amazing.

L to R: Ashley, Me, Gabbie, Tyffani, Jenny

It was so fun to spend time with these lovely ladies! It's been a long time since we've all gotten together. I feel so lucky to have such great friends even if they are far away now. 

After dinner we took advantage of the outdoor hot tub at the condo. Bliss!

On Sunday morning we went to the Cabin Coffee Company for breakfast. I realized that when I'm in Denver I go to Starbucks exclusively, but when I'm anywhere else I prefer to try a local coffeeshop. I thought the decor in this one was really cute.


For some reason the drive home went by faster even though I stopped a couple times to take photos of the beautiful views! I am fascinated by the blink-and-you'll-miss-it towns in the middle of nowhere. Who lives there? What do they do for work? Where do they buy groceries?

The view from Wolf Creek Pass was incredible!

Collegiate Peaks

This stretch of highway is called the Gunbarrel - Any idea why?

Some other events this weekend back at the homestead...

I think Abel is getting ready to start crawling. He's doing so much wiggling and rolling and rocking on his hands and knees. It's only a matter of time before he's on the go! He's also been eating and loving all kinds of new solid food.

Seven months old!

Swede has been enjoying painting outside on the easel we set up on the back porch. Mostly she's been painting "dinosaurs with sharp teeth." I also gave her a haircut this weekend, and we've been having great success with potty training - Hooray!

Brushing Pengy's hair "to get the tangles out"

Also, I saw this article on Facebook: 10 Things No One Tells You About Having a Second Kid... It is so funny and SO TRUE. No way am I doing that stupid music class again.

How was your weekend? Do you prefer chain or local coffeeshops? Have you ever imagined living in a tiny (seriously tiny, like population: 50) town?

22 comments:

  1. I like local coffee shops more but Starbucks is so convenient sometimes!
    Oh man, I couldn't do it, some friends of ours live in town of 300-800 and that seems way too small!
    The article is bang on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to #10 in that article - When they can start entertaining & playing by themselves! Of course then I'll miss their sweet babyness...

      Delete
  2. I can never get over how beautiful Colorado is.

    I like small, local coffee shops where I live. But I get lazy when I travel and will typically visit a Starbucks rather than seek out a unique spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When traveling it can be hard to decide between trying something new & local or going with the familiar place that you know what you're gonna get!

      Delete
  3. Stunning photos! I actually didn't know that Breckenridge is an actual town versus a fabricated ski town like Vail. You learn something new every day! I love local restaurants and coffee shops, too. Congrats on Abel getting ready to crawl, you must be very excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breck was a mining town originally in the late 1800s so it's been around a while and there are lots of neat old houses and Main Street is really quaint. Vail is 100% ski condos and name-brand boutiques! Not my scene. ;-)
      Abel crawling... Exciting but also more work for me! He'll be happier though - He can't wait to keep up with big sis!

      Delete
  4. LOL to your comment about Vail vs. Breck. I don't ski but I much prefer Breck too for the local charm. I definitely prefer mom and pop coffee shops over chains. There are very few chains that actually make good coffee IMO ;)

    My best friend is getting married at 10 mile station later this year and I can't wait to be back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't ski either so maybe Vail is better for that. I've always been there in the summer/fall for hiking etc and I like the atmosphere in Breck so much better. A wedding there will be gorgeous!

      Delete
  5. There are some small coffee shops I like near my parents house, but I usually have to stick to DD for my iced coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried DD coffee - They didn't open one in my neighborhood in Denver until after I moved. Maybe I'll check it out next time I'm there. I don't know if I could go and not get a donut too though, so prob not the healthiest idea...

      Delete
  6. I love local coffee shops more as well but sadly it's mostly chains around me now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it does really depend what neighborhood you're in whether there is mostly chains or mostly independent places. In Denver I was definitely in a chain area hence the Starbucks trend.

      Delete
  7. Looks like a fun visit! I can't even begin to tell you how many of my blogger friends and real friends are visiting Colorado this summer. Man it must be the place to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS the place to be! I feel very lucky to live here.

      Delete
  8. I would love to visit Colorado one day. I think it would be so beautiful to live there. Love your pics. I don't drink coffee, but we definitely prefer to eat at the local cafes when we visit places. I find I have lots of veggie options up here and around PA, but it gets limited when we visit the South.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I have been off-and-on vegetarian throughout the yeas and it completely depends on what part of the country you're in if there are decent (or any!) veggie options. And often you THINK something is veg and it turns out there's bacon grease in it or something.

      Delete
  9. i rarely go to starbucks except when i travel, haha. but i don't drink coffee, and i know that starbucks will do a non coffee drink, whereas the local smaller shops always look at me like i'm a crazy person for ordering a non coffee drink in a coffee shop, and i totally understand their confusion lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I didn't drink coffee for a long time. I even worked at a coffeeshop in college and didn't drink coffee! It wasn't until I started my current job as a CPA that I joined the Starbucks cult. My fav drink before was a vanilla steamed milk and I remember so many funny looks when I would order it!

      Delete
  10. Looks like such a fun visit!!! <3 I'm definitely in the mood for a getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, I want to visit Colorado one day! So beautiful! Sounds like you had a great weekend trip with your girlfriends. Haha, I always think those same things when I drive by small towns: where DO they get groceries? where does everyone work? why do the older teenagers/young adults stay? what do people do for fun? I've always thought it would be neat to have grown up in a really small town. I prefer small indie coffee shops when they are available - especially for something like a cappuccino. They always see to make the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'd like to visit/explore Canada! I've been to Vancouver and BC (for skiing) in high school & college but that's it.
      Where DO they get groceries!?!? Seriously some of the towns I drove through are 2-3 hours from a grocery store.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.