Sunday, June 19, 2016

Weekend [June 17-19, 2016]

Confession: I have a love/hate relationship with these "weekend recap" posts. I enjoy reading about YOUR weekend, either if it was a mooch-around weekend (so I can relate) or an action-packed weekend (so I can live vicariously). I like having these posts of my own to look back on too.

However... On weekends when I'm not planning to do a recap I feel a sense of relief. I'm not always trying to take a decent photo of whatever we're doing. Or worse, I'm not always thinking that we should be doing something fun so that I can write about it. Is just this the paradox of blogging about my everyday life? That sometimes it distracts you from actually living my everyday life?

Anyway! Let's see... What happened this weekend? It was definitely more of a mooch-around weekend. On Saturday morning I went for a 10-mile run on the river trail. It did not go so well. A) I was tired, tired, tired, and SLOW. B) I couldn't stop thinking that I feel like I'm "stretched too thin." That was the phrase that kept going through my head. I spent the whole run thinking about where and how I can do less. Maybe trying to run all these half marathons is a bad idea. Maybe the blog is too much. Maybe I should sign up for one of the meal planning services.

One of my favorite sections of the river trail

On Saturday afternoon we went out to a casual dinner at Grassburger. It's an upscale fast food place. It was delicious but Abel aka Mr Wiggles / Mr Grabby-Hands makes it hard to eat. Lately I've been thinking I just need to embrace these years (which I am henceforth calling "the baby years") for what they are and accept that there will be plenty of time to go out to dinner later on.

Sharing is caring! So how about you give me some of your hamburger?

We started the day on Sunday with celebratory donuts. I don't actually like sprinkled donuts better than a classic raised glazed but sometimes they are so pretty I can't resist! I also wanted to be "sprinkle buddies" with Swede.


After church, Swede and I visited my parents to check out the new kiddie pool on their back deck. It was HOT this weekend!


Then I attempted to take some photos of Jonathan and the kids in honor of Father's Day.


Jonathan took the kids to visit his parents after nap time and I watched The Intern. I haven't watched a new movie (by which I mean a movie I haven't seen before) in ages! It was cute.

This week... I am hoping will be less hectic than last week. I was in Denver for work on Monday and Tuesday then had the dreaded root canal on Wednesday. I couldn't seem to get caught up after that. Do you ever feel like you're waiting for things to settle down? And maybe you should just accept that there is no such thing? [Although on second thought how can I be so busy when I have time to watch an entire movie on a Sunday afternoon? This is all my head, Isn't it?]

Love live the Baby Years!

So... How was YOUR weekend?

10 comments:

  1. I completely understand the "pressure" that comes with preparing the weekend recaps, or with blogging in general. It takes SO. MUCH. TIME. And I've often wondered if it is worth the effort. It's times like these that I am grateful that we blog for fun, not on a full-time basis, and not because we HAVE to. I've talked with others about how sometimes we're so busy trying to take pictures to recap things later that we don't enjoy the moment. It's a tough balance!

    How did the root canal go? Hopefully smoothly! I'm sorry your 10-mile run didn't go as well as you hoped. I think all of us runners are dealing with the rude adjustment to summertime running right now. We'll all get there!

    Adorable pictures, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before I started blogging I had no idea how much time it would take. I really do enjoy it but it's definitely a commitment!

      The dentist gave me some serious "calm down" pills so I pretty out of it during the actual root canal procedure (and for the rest of the morning). Going back tomorrow for a check to see if everything looks good for Stage 2. This is another thing that I had no idea how much time it would take before getting started! Unfortunately unlike blogging it's neither optional nor fun!

      Delete
  2. Ugh yeah- I love actually being able to write weekend recaps when we did stuff but other times it's boring an hard so I've been neglecting it. AND I didn't get a photo with the hubs and baby yesterday so I'm awful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every weekend is just too much and they are all pretty much the same these days so. I've been trying to do one or two a month.

      Delete
  3. I hear your "stretched too thin" run. I've had that run many times before.

    I recently set aside several things in my life. I couldn't see growth in anything, because I was too busy doing everything.

    I love mooch around weekends. They're my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO smart of you to realize and take action to let go of things that were making you feel overwhelmed. I really need to do it but I'm resisting... I want more time & ease in life but I don't want to give anything up!

      Delete
  4. I do the same things. Sometimes I think about taking pictures on the weekend and then think, "Eh, forget about it." I don't always do a weekend recap, though. I'm always questioning how I can do more while doing less. That sprinkle donut looks amazing. I am fairly distracted by it and can only imagine the donut smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't think of a better time for donut than now that you've passed your 3 hr glucose! :-)

      Delete
  5. I hear you on the weekend recaps. They are fun to write up if your weekend was busy and lots going on, but otherwise kind of dull if you didn't do much. I do like reading about other people's weekends though (unless every weekend is the same then it's so repetitive)

    That doughnut looks amazing. Now you have me craving one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please tell me mine aren't in the "every weekend is the same then it's so repetitive" category! ;-) I've only been doing them once or twice a month otherwise I do feel that way... Hopefully that's a good balance.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.