Thursday, July 7, 2016

Currently - July 2016

Today I'm linking up with See You In A Porridge and Gretch Runs for "What's New With You." I don't actually have much exciting news but I thought I would do an overdue "Currently" post for a snapshot of my life these days.

Listening to: The same music as the last couple months - The Lumineers, Imagine Dragons, Of Monsters and Men, Rend Collective, Lauren Daigle, and Luke Bell. Plus some of my favorite songs by The National to prepare for seeing them in concert at the end of July!

Reading: Lots! I had five holds come in from the library in the past two weeks so I've been reading frantically to finish everything before they are due back. Although I might just keep them overdue if I can't... [Insert evil laugh here.]

Not pictured: First Comes Love by Emily Giffin

Watching: Nothing. See above... I am spending all my free time reading these days!

Feeling: Sore! I'm in the first week of 21 Day Fix and so far I'm really enjoying the workouts and Shakeology. [I'm not doing the meal plan.] It's hard and I'm really sore but that's just proof to me that I needed something more than running. Thanks to Jen for encouraging me to get started!

Thinking about: How is it possible that we spend as much money as we do at the grocery store? Seriously... I don't feel like we are being that extravagant or buying fancy ingredients but when I'm looking at the budget every month... Yikes! Has food gotten more expensive? Do you have ideas for how to save money?

Loving: Going for little hikes with Abel and Gumball on the trails around our neighborhood. We have used this Ospey Poco Plus backpack for two summers with Swede and it's still in great shape. It's surprisingly comfortable too for carrying 25 pounds on your back once you get it adjusted properly.


Not Loving: The never-ending saga of the root canal. I'm on the third visit with no end in sight. Sigh.

Wearing: My summer uniform is jeans (either these, these, or these) and a relaxed fit v-neck t-shirt (this one in five different colors).

Praying: To spend more time praying. Sometimes I'll get in the habit of defaulting to prayer in the small quiet moments of life, such as feeding Abel or driving alone in the car. Sometimes I'll use those same moments to review my to-do list ad-nauseam or rant in my head about various petty grievances. Guess which one makes me feel more peaceful and content with life in general?

Eating: I've been into doing Chinese take-out classics at home lately. The Best Easy Beef and Broccoli IS really easy and good. I also like the Easy Sesame Chicken from Budget Bytes. [Apparently I'm only trying recipes with "easy" in the title these days.]


Looking forward to: Our friends Tyffani and Bryn and their baby Elliott are coming to visit in two weeks! Elliott and Abel are exactly three months apart - I think they are going to be BFFs.

23 comments:

  1. i will have to check out that chicken recipe from budget bytes. i love her recipes. i actually spend a lot of time searching for 'easy' recipes haha so that works well. and gah, i feel you on the grocery!! it is ridiculous how much we spend, and there is only 2 of us!! we are hitting a few financial bumps right now so really had to tone it down, honestly the biggest thing for us is going randomly to pick up this or that and it ends up being $50 or more when we only needed milk, you know? i can't be bothered with coupons or anything, but i am trying to think about meals rather than buying stuff blind, because that's how we waste food, and in turn waste money. anyway. it really adds up super fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Beef & Broccoli recipe came from you. Next I want to try Beef Lo Mein - That's my other standard take-out order.
      Every week we do meal planning and make a big grocery list and yet it never fails that we forget something and end up going back once or twice for "one last thing" - $50 later... That is exactly how it adds up!

      Delete
  2. So jealous you're going to see The National soon! They are one band I have yet to see that I really want to. They only seem to go to BC :( I've pretty much been reading in all my free time too. I wish there was more time in the day to binge watch my favourite shows AND read all the books ;)

    I think grocery prices have definitely increased. My husband and I talk about this all the time. Everything is just getting more and more expensive. I found when I was strict with meal planning, that kept our budget more in check, but I'm terrible for keeping up with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be the 4th time I've seen The National live. I hope you can see them someday... Maybe if they do another album they'll have a bigger tour. This summer there are only a couple shows at all in North America.
      I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks grocery prices have increased! Even with meal planning I feel like it's going up and up and up.

      Delete
  3. i love that you're reading so much. i'm on a reading roll and i love it. i've learned to space out my library holdings instead of putting a bunch on hold, having them all come in at once and then i get frantic trying to finish all of them in 2wks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're smart, I need to get better at spacing out my library holds. I'll put 10 books on hold all at once and then surprise surprise they all come in at once!

      Delete
  4. Yes on praying more - it's something I want to work on for myself, too. Thanks for sharing those easy Chinese take-out recipes, I am all about recipes with "easy" in the name, as well! And I hear you on groceries getting really pricey. I justify to myself that at least it's still more affordable than dining out, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, At least we haven't been eating out or getting takeout very much. I've been trying to tell myself that's why our grocery bill is so high these days but I feel like prices are going up in general too.

      Delete
  5. The price of food especially meat, veggies and fruit have definitely increased! It's crazy. I haven't read any of those books, so would love to hear what you think of them! 21 day fix is perfect if you are wanting to work out at home- you can make it as easy or as hard as you want to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it seems like the prices for healthy food are going up! You can still get the junk food for super cheap!
      I have never been very into working out at home in the past but have really been enjoying the 21 Day Fix workouts. And I love that they are only 30 minutes versus the 1.5 hrs it would take to go to a class at the gym.

      Delete
  6. I've been hiking with my little ones too, lately (well, a few times this summer at least) and love it! I consider it a little more strength training and a little less cardio than hiking in my pre-baby days. ;-) -- Lisa | Naptime Chai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it's strength training and cardio! Well, going up hills is cardio for sure.

      Delete
  7. I love chinese food ! Watching your meal makes me feel for take out tonight. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to recreate takeout meals at home since it's usually cheaper and healthier, but sometimes nothing satisfies like the real thing!

      Delete
  8. I'm with you on our grocery bill! I have no idea how we spend so much and we don't buy fancy things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! We're not buying fancy ingredients either. How does it add up so fast?

      Delete
  9. I love Budget Bytes! She has the best recipes and everything is so affordable. Genius! Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting! I've just recently discovered Budget Bytes but have liked everything I've tried so far. And appreciate a site with affordable recipes!

      Delete
  10. I spend way way too much on groceries! I can't image what our bill will be when we have more kids and they get older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine what it'll be like with teenagers! Yikes.

      Delete
  11. I am buying groceries for just myself right now and I still feel like I spend way too much. I am not good at food budgeting. The only coupons I use are the Target Cartwheel app and Ibotta, which help a little bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have a Target but I should check out Ibotta. I am usually too lazy for coupons but it wouldn't hurt to make a little more effort...

      Delete
  12. I really need to get reading more...I try to squeeze it in during Wes's afternoon nap (if that even happens) or before bed (if I don't fall asleep within 2 minutes or if I don't work nights). We stick to buying most of our groceries at Costco and getting the littler things at the local grocery store, but everything is so dang expensive it prevents me from trying a lot of fun recipes that require a lot of ingredients! Glad you're liking the workouts- isn't it great to be done with them so quickly and not have to travel to a gym?!! Saves memoirs of money- especially on impromptu detours to DQ in the way home haha

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.