1) One of my favorite places in the world is La Jolla Shores. I grew up going to the beach there and after my family moved away we started a (mostly) annual pilgrimage back for a week in August. I haven't been since 2013 though when I was pregnant with Swede. I am excited to start going with the kids next summer!
2) I'd love to visit Zion & Bryce Canyon, Arches, and Canyonlands. These are all in southern Utah pretty close to where we live now (within a day's drive or less) so I don't have any excuse, but I'd like to wait until the kids are old enough to do short hikes on their own. And I'm ambitious that we might start camping together in a few years too.
3) I'm also really looking forward to taking the kids to Disneyland or Disney World. Growing up in Southern California, I'd go to Disneyland with my family a few times a year and have so many fond memories of our trips there. I got to know Disney World when I lived in Orlando in 2004-2007 and I think that's where we'll start with the kids in a few more years.
4) I lived in Washington during high school and college but haven't been back since graduation. I think it would be fun to do a backpacking trip on the Wonderland Trail around Mount Rainer (93 miles) and then spend a day in the quaint Bavarian town of Leavenworth and a few days in Seattle. This would be a kids-free vacation... Or we'd do it in 20 years when they are capable of backpacking 93 miles.
5) I visited Savannah in 2012 to run the Savannah Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon with some of my friends from Florida. I'd love to go back and also to visit Charleston. This might be a nice getaway vacation for Jonathan and me someday.
Some other ideas: I'd like to visit Chicago. I'd like to go to colonial Williamsburg. I think a dude ranch would be fun once Swede reaches the obsessed-with-horses phase. I'd like to hike the Grand Canyon. I'd like to rent a cabin on a lake somewhere and not leave for a week.
Is it weird that 4 out of 5 of the major vacation destinations listed above are places I've already been? I like the idea of introducing the kids to some of my favorite places. And also sometimes I find traveling to new places a little stressful and prefer the ease of the familiar (but not TOO familiar that it's boring). Would you rather always go somewhere new on vacation or do you have any favorite destinations?