Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Five Favorites - July 2016

This month I decided to switch up my standard 'Favorites' post and show you one current favorite from each member of the family instead of all my personal favorites.

1) Let's start with Swede: She has really been enjoying the Highlights High Five magazine. We gotten four issues so far (and getting a new one in the mail is SO exciting) and have been reading the stories together over and over, plus she's getting more into the puzzles every month. She likes the 'Hidden Pictures' puzzle the best.


2) Abel's favorite thing is whatever Swede is playing with at that moment, which can be difficult at times, but another thing he loves is a small blankie with ribbons sewn in the sides (similar to a Taggie, but his was homemade by my friend Kelly in Florida). He loves snuggling with this in his crib. We gave Swede a similar blankie at about the same age and it's still her #1 most precious and essential comfort object.


3) Recently I've been reminded that Jonathan is a somewhat elusive figure on the blog. He's not a huge fan of having his photo taken, but he was a good sport and let me snap this one of his two favorite things this month: A new 49ers t-shirt (also available in the team of your choice, because I know everyone, including myself, is not a 49ers fan) and Astronomy magazine.


4) My turn! On my last trip to Denver I realized that all my work clothes are from three years ago when I still worked in the office before Swede was born. Now that I'm (almost) back to my normal size, I decided it was time for something new. I bought a Sleeveless Ponte Sheath Dress and Point Toe Pump Shoes from Lands' End, both of which were on super sale and I had a gift card = Free! (The cardigan in the photo is a Boden Cashmere Crop Cardigan), which was also on super sale when I bought it... I'm trying to be more judicious about not buying things at full price).


5) Don't forget Gumball! Her favorite thing is a daily rawhide chew stick.


In other news, my birthday is next Tuesday and I have a super fun lineup of weekend festivities ahead to celebrate - I'll be back to tell you all about it next week!

18 comments:

  1. As a kid I loved that magazine! That's a great idea for a gift. I'll tell the grandparents ;)
    Avery never liked taggie type things but Chloe loves them too!
    Oh I need to do a major closet rehaul before I go back to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun gift idea because it's something exciting every month! We actually got one yesterday (after I wrote this) and she carried it home from the mailbox like it was made of gold. I was like: WALK FASTER!
      Luckily I only need 2-4 days of work clothes per month but I was having trouble finding even that much! Fun to get something new.

      Delete
  2. Oh that magazine is a great idea! I forgot how much I loved getting magazines like that when I was a kid. I'm not familiar with that one, but I remember really loving Chickadee. My MIL likes to gift people magazine subscriptions because it's easy, but I had to put a stop to mine and Jim's since we couldn't keep up, but I will keep something like this in mind for Sully!

    That dress looks great on you! Love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I subscribed to five or six magazines for myself at the beginning of the year but I hardly have a chance to read any of them. It's a great gift idea for the kids though.
      I'm looking forward to my next work trip to Denver to wear the dress, I like that it's professional enough yet still fun.

      Delete
  3. Happy, happy, happy birthday in advance, Kelly!!!

    Oooh - I LOVE this idea of incorporating the entire family members' favorites into a post. Super clever! Especially Gumball - she looks so cute with her chew stick!

    You look FABULOUS in that new outfit. Those shoes are to die for!!! So chic!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I might try to feature family favorites more often, although Gumball doesn't have that many favorites - Snacks, Belly rubs, Going on walks... That's about it!
      I might end up getting the shoes in plain navy too but I couldn't resist the floweredy print! I also have a dress in the same print but I swear I will never wear them both together. ;-)

      Delete
  4. This is precious! I love that you featured each member of your family! And your new outfit is GORGEOUS!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It feels nice to have a new professional outfit for my next work event that is also somewhat fun. :-)

      Delete
  5. I used to love Highlights magazine as a kid. Can't wait to see what kind of stuff is out there for kids, now. I remember lots of fun magazines like Cricket or Ladybug (?) depending on your age. Abel is too sweet with his blankie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cricket! I think I remember that one too! They have some really fun magazines and subscription boxes that I'm looking forward to checking out as the kids get older!

      Delete
  6. Cute outfit! And yay for jonathan for being a good sport and letting you take his picture for the blog.
    I always look forward to magazines in the mail and I still think I could be entertained by Highlites..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always loved Highlights too. This one is for younger kids (2-5) - Not sure if they had it when we were kids but I'm glad they do now since it's such a big hit with Swede.

      Delete
  7. Super cute dress! Also, I remember Highlights from when I was little. I was obsessed with those magazines! ha Glad to see they're still making them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very into Highlights as a kid. I remember writing silly poems and sending them in... Was always very disappointed that they were never picked to be published!

      Delete
  8. Love your outfit! And happy almost birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking back, a magazine subscription was one of my favorite gifts as a kid from my grandmother.

    And cute shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I should have gotten the shoes in plain navy but couldn't resist the fun flowered print!

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.