Sunday, July 24, 2016

Super Duper Weekend

Hey Friends! Did you have a nice weekend? We had a busy & fun weekend with our friends Tyffani and Bryn and their baby Elliott who came to visit from Denver.

On Friday before they arrived, however, I took the kids to the library and survived Swede's first full-scale public tantrum. That was not super duper. After she was settled down for a nap at home though we went out for a hike with the babies and the dogs.



Elliott is almost one year old! He turned eleven months old this weekend. He is a super cute little guy.


It was really fun watching all the kids play together all weekend long! Swede and Abel were both really excited to have a new little friend.


And a new big friend! This very large, very sweet and gentle dog is named Bandersnatch. Tyffani gave Swede a mini stuffed Bernese Mountain Dog (also named Bandersnatch) for her first birthday. She was so excited to meet the real-life dog.


I am looking forward to taking this photo for many years to come! Hopefully my kids will also be smiling in the future.


On Saturday we went for a bike ride on the river trail. Swede had a really fun time despite the scowl on her face in this photo. I wish that I'd been able to go biking more with her this summer.


Jonathan and I have a regular babysitter for Saturday afternoons now. (Best decision ever). So we left our kids at home went out to dinner at Steamworks. Elliott is a very well-behaved restaurant baby.


On Saturday night we watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and had wine and ice cream.

We tried to do another short hike on the neighborhood trails on Sunday morning. Swede came along though which wasn't the best idea since a) she walks very slow and then b) insists on being carried after a quarter mile. I had brought the hiking backpack for when she got tired but she wouldn't climb in so we turned back early.

Our mutual friends from Denver, Ashley and Nate, also happened to be in the area for Nate's family reunion, so they stopped by our house for brunch on the way back to Denver. I made Baked Blueberry French Toast from The Big Book of Breakfast with chicken & maple sausage and orange juice. Completely forgot to take any photos but it was good!


Tyf and Bryn and Elliott went to explore Durango on their own Sunday afternoon and then we reunited for dinner with the kids, and then drinks after the kids were all in bed.


It's so much fun to have family friends where everyone (including husbands and kids and dogs) gets along so well. It makes me sad that we live so far away from each other, but I'm looking forward to many visits back and forth in the future!

18 comments:

  1. What a fun weekend! I really need to get a hiking carrier for Wes but I have a feeling he won't like being in it at all. That dog!! Love it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, I know you've gone hiking with Wes - What did you use then? We have really enjoyed having the Osprey backpack with both kids. I think my kids they like the backpack better than other carriers (like the Ergo) because they are facing out and up high so have a good view.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time. Your pictures of the kids are fabulous. What camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a Canon Rebel DSLR.

      Delete
  3. You had the most wonderful weekend! So many fun activities and so many adorable photos!!! My favorite is the one of Swede meeting the real-life Bandersnatch. (What a fascinating name, by the way!) Hurray for having a regular babysitter every Saturday afternoon. That would be a lifesaver, for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's from the Lewis Carroll poem Jabberwocky - "Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun / the frumious Bandersnatch!" Although the real dog is not at all frumious. :-)

      Delete
  4. Of course I love the dog photo, but they're all great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Note to self: Post more dog photos. :-)

      Delete
  5. What a great weekend! We have a similar hiking back pack and Sully loves going in it (thank goodness, because lately he wants to be carried all the time when we are out for walks/hikes).

    Funny story - Sully had his first major epic temper tantrum at the library too! We were at our weekly baby bookworms program and he wanted a snack (which aren't allowed in the class) and then he just lost it. I ended up having to leave the class 10 minutes in and carry out a screaming, crying toddler to the car. It was humiliating, even though I know everyone goes through something familiar, lol.

    I think this is the first time I've ever seen a photo of your husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it was the weekend for inaugural epic library temper tantrums! I was holding Abel so couldn't pick up Swede & ended up dragging her by the hand to outside. Sigh.
      Re: J - Yeah he makes an appearance now and then but it pretty camera shy overall.

      Delete
  6. These photos are so fun!!! And those hiking pics look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! A fellow Coloradoan! Thanks for stopping by. :-)

      Delete
  7. Bandersnatch is a great name! He's lovely. I love that you guys (try) to go on so many adventures. That hiking carrier looks heavy with a baby in it! I admire your body strength :). I need some baked blueberry French toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, That's nice to hear, I've been a little down all summer that it feels like we haven't been able to do many adventures!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful weekend spent with friends and the kids :) I was going to say the same thing as Brie- I don't know if I have ever seen a picture of your husband before.

    And about the tantrum- Amelia had one at the grocery store on Sunday because I had let her walk for a bit, but it was getting busier and I had to get the groceries, so put her back in the grocery cart. Oh it's fun being a parent ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one dealing with toddler tantrums! It's never fun but does help to know it happens to everyone.

      Delete
  9. Oh man toddler tantrums are no joke! Avery had one outside Starbucks on the weekend and tried to run away - into traffic after. Sigh.
    I love Swede's dress in the photo with the dog, so cute!!
    I agree I love having friends where everyone gets along! Makes this stage of life so much better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of my favorite dresses of Swede's! Mini Boden. :-)
      It's funny how you'd think the husbands of good friends would automatically be good friends too, but it doesn't work that way! Not that J doesn't get along with them - Just that he doesn't "click" with them all.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.