Thursday, July 21, 2016

Swedeisms [Vol. 1]

I was hoping to be able to share some photos today from our family photo shoot last weekend but they aren't ready yet. I really hope a few of them turned out because the kids were in spectacularly bad moods. Especially Abel. Normally the jolliest baby ever but I couldn't manage to coax a single smile from him all morning.

Here are some funny things that Swede has said recently instead:

1) Umbrella = Rainbrella. It's actually a more accurate term!

2) When we're eating she'll say that she's putting her food in her belly button. When she's full she'll say: "I'm too full in my belly button."


3) Her favorite song, while driving places in the car, is to sing about the trucks that we see: "Trash Truck, Trash Truck, Rolling down the road." Other verses: Fire Truck. Coca-Cola Truck. City Bus. Pig Van. Pickle Car. OK - Maybe those last two are from Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks and Things That Go.

4) We watched Robin Hood a couple weeks ago, over the course of several days. Today we were looking at a book with all different types of birds in it and she started calling the robins "Robin Hood birds."

Stretching out our shoulders after Upper Fix

5) She has recently learned the words "actually" and "totally." It's so cute.  "This box is totally empty, Mommy!" (PS: I've always sworn I would be Mom, not Mommy, yet here I am Mommy, and I don't mind at all).

6) She still calls her bathing suit a "swimming costume" per Peppa and we all say "on holiday" to refer to vacation now. She also says either "eye-ther" instead of "ee-ther" which is how I say it.

Dance Party Swede-Style!

7) She appears to think the game of tennis (which she is pretty fuzzy on the rules of, but hey, she's only two) is called "tennis rackets." She also likes to "play yoga."

8) Every night at bedtime I say "I love you with all my heart." (Which is what my mom used to say to me before bed). Just a couple weeks ago she started saying it back to me. And just as I'm walking about the door she'll say, "One more kiss and one more hug?" How can I resist?!?


I've said it before and I'll say it again... Two years old is such a fun age. (Tantrums aside). Swede learning to talk has been the most fun thing ever!

14 comments:

  1. Aww, everything about this makes me smile! You are so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She is such a joy... Most of the time ;-)

      Delete
  2. Swimming costume is the cutest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole family has adopted swimming costume and on holiday - I hope it never changes!

      Delete
  3. Awww so sweet! I love this age and watching their vocabularies develop. As soon as I read "pickle car" I knew exactly what book she got that from ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a fun book! J's parents got it for Abe for Christmas but of course Swede loves it too.

      Delete
  4. Aw, we should all strive to -play- yoga more often than we -do- yoga. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! Playing yoga is so much more fun.

      Delete
  5. More adorable post, EVER. Rainbrella definitely makes MUCH more sense than umbrella - after all, what the heck is an "um"? I love the British influence on some of Swede's lingo. And how heartwarming that you say "I love you with all my heart" at bedtime. That's a wonderful habit that your mom had, and so, SO wonderful that you are carrying it forward and that she is saying it back to you. One day, Swede will probably carry it forward to her kids, too! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite things about the kids is carrying on traditions from when I was a kid. At the same time it can be a challenge to let them have their own childhood rather than trying to recreate my own.

      Delete
  6. These are all adorable. It still amazes me that one day my kid will have things to say, when she's just a little otter right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is incredible that they go from being little otters to talking walking little humans with opinions about everything in a few short years! Swede learning to talk has been one of my favorite things ever!

      Delete
  7. These are awesome! I can't wait for Amelia to start talking (besides saying no and dadda all the time!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swede didn't have much to say before she turned two (no and dada were at the top of the list for her too!) and my pediatrician was starting to mention speech therapy but then in probably two months she went from a dozen words to complete sentences! Amazing and very fun! :-)

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.