Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Birthday Extravaganza Weekend

The infamous birthday has come and gone. I'm 35 years old today. Perhaps I'll share more about how I feel about that later. (The short version: Mostly good!) But today I'm going to share a belated long weekend recap of the various birthday festivities leading up to today. 

On Saturday, I started the day with the Kennebec Mountain Run. This was an extremely difficult 15-mile trail race. (In my case it was more often a power hike). Full recap coming later this week, but suffice to say it was more than I bargained for when I signed up!

Unfortunately I still had to run back DOWN the mountain!

For dinner we went over to my parents' house for the greatest dinner - Ribs, Mac & Cheese, Fruit salad, and Spinach salad. All my favorite things! The kids were really well behaved during dinner too which was very nice. The last time we had dinner with my parents (on Memorial Day) the kids were both in meltdown mode from start to finish.

Fact: No one cooks as good as your mom.

For dessert we had a fabulous ice cream cake from Cold Stone Creamery. My favorite combination is chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream with caramel, fudge & brownies mixed in.


Swede helped me blow out the candles. She is very excited that her birthday is the next one coming up (but I don't think she realizes how far away November is).


On Sunday morning Jonathan and I headed up to Denver for our first getaway in exactly two years! I owe a huge thank you to my parents (who are probably thinking right now, "Yep, It's gonna be another two years!") for taking care of the kids.

We stayed in downtown Denver at the The Curtis Hotel, which is a fun "theme" hotel. We were on the "Fun & Games" floor.

Love the Colorado flags on Larimer Square!

We went to an early dinner at Jonathan's favorite Mexican restaurant, La Loma. They have the best chile con queso and chile rellenos and fajitas. They make their own tortillas onsite which makes all the difference.

Then we went to see The National at Red Rocks, which is one of the coolest places to see a show. The walls of the amphitheater are made of these huge red rocks (hence the name).


The show was great too although Jonathan was disappointed they didn't play more of their earlier music, but you really can't expect them to keep playing songs from ten years ago, even if that is your favorite song that your son is named after...


On Monday we were planning to have breakfast at Snooze but there was a 45-60 minute wait (at 9 am on Monday morning!) which was super disappointing. It's so hard when you have your heart set on doing something and it doesn't work out. Jonathan and I could both work on handling the inevitable changes in plan with more grace. After a few minutes of frustration and complaining, we headed to the Denver Botanic Gardens and picked up coffees and pastries from the onsite cafe, then toured the garden.

The waterlilies were spectacular!


Every year at the garden there is a different sculpture series. This year it's called "Stories in Sculpture" from various artists. This one was my favorite:


Another disappointing thing about the weekend was the traffic! I don't know if it's that we've been in a small town for the past 2+ years or if Denver has gotten that much more crowded and busy, but we were always getting stuck in traffic. The worst!

For dinner on Monday we met Chesleigh and Doug at D Bar, one of my all time favorite places. I think this is the fourth birthday I have celebrated there!

Photo courtesy of the lovely Chesleigh

We split some delicious appetizers (Bacon wrapped dates... Heaven!) and I had a fried chicken waffle sandwich and Nutella beignets for dessert.


We drove home today to rescue my mom from the tyranny of two small children. Swede gave me a disappointingly less-than-enthusiastic greeting, but she was pretty thrilled with the Peppa Pig pajamas we brought her home from Target. I was pretty happy to see both my darling kiddos. They both seem more grown up in just three days.

One last photo: My birthday present from Jonathan and the kids - LOVE.

FYI: Swede's real name is Ingrid - See HERE for the story behind Swede.

I'll be the first to admit this was a pretty major birthday blowout weekend! Next year will probably be more low-key. What's the biggest or best way that you've ever celebrated a birthday?

12 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!! So much good stuff in this post! The bracelet is darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a (mostly) great weekend of celebrations. :-)

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, Kelly! Looks like you had a fantastic birthday weekend! So nice that you two were able to get away! That concert venue looks AMAZING. And all the food - I'm drooling and it's only 9:30 in the morning haha! ;) Glad you guys had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Red Rocks is a really cool concert venue, but the best show I ever saw of The National was at a small theater before they had made it. Although that was in my younger days when I could stand up through all the opening bands and in between set-up time... Now I'm like "Are you kidding me? I would like a seat please."

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous birthday weekend! A nice meal from mom, an awesome weekend away, and a fabulous and meaningful necklace. You can't beat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a pretty great weekend of celebrations - I definitely don't expect to go so big next year. :-)

      Delete
  4. Happy bday!!! That restaurant dinner sounds/looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! D Bar is the BEST. Seriously what I miss most about Denver is the restaurants.

      Delete
  5. Wow, Kelly!!! You had an AMAZING birthday weekend!!! Your pictures are stunning, as always. I especially love the photo of all the Colorado flags in Denver. Congratulations on getting through the Kennebec Mountain Run - what an amazing accomplishment to kick off the weekend! Can't wait to hear more details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought the Colorado flags were really neat too. I think they were up for Colorado's "birthday" which is August 1.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on your race, can't wait to hear more about it! That food looks so good (minus the ribs for the vegetarian lol). Queso sounds so good. I am having some cravings. They must be dealt with this weekend! What a cool sculpture! I love it. What an awesome birthday weekend, and that gift is amazing and adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite perks being pregnant is the freedom to indulge all cravings. Donuts - Yes. Queso - Yes.
      None of the other sculptures at the Garden were really my style but I loved that one - So whimsical & fun.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.