Thursday, August 11, 2016

Coffee Date #5

Hey Friends! I think it's time for another coffee date.


First: This will come as a surprise to exactly no one but I am still finding life with two kids to be pretty challenging.

This little man is SO busy!

The most difficult times are when I'm on my own with both kids. The 30 minutes every morning from 7:30-8:00 once Jonathan has started work but before I take the kids to preschool and/or my mom's house for the day can be a little frantic. There is the struggle to get everyone dressed and fed and organized. Then we start to run this little scenario on repeat:

   Step 1: Swede starts to play with Toy #1.
   Step 2: Abel crawls over and tries to grab Toy #1.
   Step 3: Swede, shrieking: "Nooooo, He can't have it! He has to play with he's [sic] toy!" Hands Toy #2 to Abel.
   Step 4: The kids play with their respective toys for approximately ten seconds.
   Step 5: Return to Step 2.

So... Yeah. I realize this isn't groundbreaking news. Every stage of life comes with its particular challenges and this is where I'm at right now. I keep thinking, "How can I make the morning go better?" but I'm not sure if there's anything I can do except wait until Abel is old enough to understand the "taking turns" concept.

In other child-related news, I am really excited that Swede has finally consented to me doing anything with her hair! I love the pigtails.


Next: Lately I have been feeling really sad about the world. There is so much anger and hate and destruction and cruelty. Every day I carry on with my usual (& extremely privileged) life while millions of people and animals and the Earth in general is suffering and dying. I'll get a glimpse of a tragic news story and I can't even handle it and so I try not to think about it at all. Even things like seeing the daily roadkill on the way into town every day makes me so sad. And anxious about the future of the world that I've leaving to my kids. I don't feel like I can do anything about anything and so I don't do anything, except some token donations to various charities, but I don't know what I can do to change anything except by trying to be a nice person, but that (obviously) isn't enough.

Moving on to a lighter subject... I feel a little awkward doing so but I have more to say! Isn't this how a real coffee date is though? One minute you're having a serious discussion, and the next minute you've segued into the hilarious thing someone said at work the other day. So... I have a haircut appointment on Monday and I think I'm going to get a pixie cut. I had one in 2012-2013. It's just so easy. And cute - I hope! My pixie cut inspirations:


What else? Recently I've been infatuated with various gorgeous bullet journal feeds on Instagram, and thinking about abandoning my Erin Condren Life Planner for a Leuchtturm and an array of colorful pens, but honestly I don't have the time or the creativity to draw up a whole new spread every day/week/month. The one thing that is lacking from the Life Planner in my opinion is more blank pages at the end. So to remedy that I ordered a new blank notebook for ALL THE LISTS. I chose a flamingo design for the cover, which is my current summer obsession. I need more flamingos in my life. Maybe it's just that I love how Swede calls them "mingos."

Before I go... To catch up from our last coffee date in June, when I was talking about getting serious about eating better and working out more: I've mentioned it here a few times but I did buy 21 Day Fix. I'm not following the program religiously but I've added the strength and yoga workouts into my weekly schedule along with running and I feel so much stronger and healthier overall. I've never been able to maintain any at-home workout routine in the past, or really to do anything consistently other than running, but this seems (6 weeks in) to be working for me really well.

That's all! What's new with you?

11 comments:

  1. The olympics the past week have helped me feel a little less sad about the world lately! It's not perfect, but it's nice to see friendly competition and coming together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been watching the Olympics at all, but I will definitely catch the women's marathon on Sunday. I agree though that there are some heartwarming stories of triumph and camaraderie that help restore your faith in humankind.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see your new haircut. I went short like that in the 8th grade and let's just say I couldn't pull off "cute pixie"...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little nervous, It's a big move to cut off all my hair even if I've done it before. Just tired of a ponytail 90% of the time!
      I had the WORST Rachel-from-Friends layered haircut in 9th grade. It was such a mistake. I don't think that age is the right time to try new/cool hairstyles.

      Delete
  3. This is so inspiring! I love the post:)

    irenethayer.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice to hear, I thought I was being a little negative actually. :-)

      Delete
  4. Love the pigtails! My sister has a pixie cut and I LOVE it. I always want to get mine like that but I chicken out at the last minute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair apt is at 2:30 today, I'm excited but also really nervous! It's a big move to cut all my hair off even if I have done it before... Just so tired of the 24/7 ponytail!

      Delete
  5. Years ago, a hairdresser talked me out of a pixie cut -- that was definitely her good deed of the day! I think you have the right face for it, can't wait to see it!

    I started bullet journaling this week for blogging only. The rest of my organizational system was working really well, but my blogging tools were numerous and bulky. So far it's working well and I've also satisfied that tactile desire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do a post on how you use the bullet journal for your blogging tools! That would be really interesting. I love seeing how other people organize. I don't really have any blogging tools other than I try to plan out in my everyday planner what posts I'll do for the next couple weeks, but I could probably use a little more structure.

      Delete
  6. Ooh I can't wait to see your hair! I think a super short cut will look great on you! Sometimes I wish my face wasn't so round so I could pull off something like a pixie cut.

    I'm so intrigued by bullet journaling but I just don't know when I'd have the time to do it...or maybe it's not that time consuming?? I'm just worried it would be something I'd start and then abandon right away. I did just pick up a really cute planner for $10 at homesense (Canada's TJ Maxx) and each week is on the left and the right page is a to-do list page! This might be my happy medium as i haven't been using my Erin Condren planner at all.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.