Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Dream Vacations [Abroad]

Last  month I shared the my dream vacations in the U.S., so I thought I should also share my dream vacations abroad. Unlike the U.S. vacations which are all fairly likely and/or possible in the next 5-10 years, these vacations are serious dream vacations that may or may not ever happen, but it's still fun to dream.

1) Hike the Tour de Mont Blanc. There is a 100 mile trail that circumnavigates Mont Blanc on the French/Swiss/Italian border. It takes about a week and you can arrange to have your luggage transported each day between mountain huts and quaint little towns along the way. (Here is an example of a self-guided tour itinerary). The scenery looks spectacular!


2) Do a cruise on the Baltic Sea. I'm not sure about the exact itinerary... Maybe something like this Viking Homelands tour: Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Poland, and Russia. I haven't ever done a cruise or guided tour before but I like the idea of a getting to see so many places in one trip and I think it would be nice have a guide for some of these locations.


3) What sounds the greatest currently is an all-inclusive Caribbean beach resort vacation. I don't want to think about driving my car or spending (additional) money or trying to plan the itinerary. I just want to read on the beach, swim in the water, do a little snorkeling and paddle-boarding and yoga, and eat all the delicious food. The end. Where do I sign up?


4) Take a train across Canada. Check out this two-week itinerary from Vancouver to Halifax with stops in Toronto, Niagara Falls, Montreal, Quebec City, and Halifax. Although maybe I should just do the Toronto to Halifax portion... Four days on a train across the prairie might get a little dull. Or maybe I'll save this one for my dotage.


5) Go trail running in Patagonia. Years ago I read an article in Trail Runner Magazine about this Patagonia Running Adventure by Andes Adventures and it's been on my Bucket List ever since.


Also on the list... A road trip through Bavaria, a beer & cheese tour in Belgium, a bike trip around Tuscany, and a yoga retreat in Bali. Oh, and why not add an African safari to the list!

What are your biggest dream vacations???

11 comments:

  1. I did sort of a dream destination post a while back because my husband and I didn't have a proper honeymoon. So, I agree with you, it's fun to dream big. I agree that I'd want to go on an African safari, and I'd do a lot of research that are animal friendly, responsible, eco-friendly sites. I think visiting Japan during cherry blossom season would be magical. My husband's surname/family name originates from the Italian/Swiss/Croatian region. I've been to Italy & Switzerland (and would be happy to return), but I'd love to go to Croatia for a new adventure. I've never visited Canada, and I've seen majestic pictures of Banff. AND, we've been to Fiji, loved it, so an island destination is another on the dream list - maybe French Polynesia? Now, let's win the lottery and go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, Japan during cherry blossom season would be so magical!!! I agree that I'd want to do a lot of research for an African safari to make sure I picked the right one. Fiji!!!! And Croatia does look really neat too. So many places I'd love to see...

      Delete
  2. I would love to do a safari but in actuality I never will be cause I have no desire to go to Africa. Perhaps I'll just go to Animal Kingdom at Disney world..lol

    PS, some of my favorite vacations have been crusies. You should try one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually that is a much better idea - I've always wanted to do the behind-the-scenes tour at Animal Kingdom!

      Delete
  3. Such wonderful ideas!!! Currently on the tops of my international travel list are to go on an African safari, visit Tahiti or Fiji and stay in one of those overwater bungalows, do river cruises in South America or Southeast Asia, cruise the Greek Isles, and visit pretty much every other island you can think of: Galapagos, Seychelles, Mauritius, Sardinia, Iceland, Sicily... you name it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those overwater bungalows look so idyllic. You are all about the islands! My island obsessions (neither of which I have visited yet) are Corsica and one of those off the coast of the Carolinas with the wild horses... I don't remember the name. I have been to a neat island off the Atlantic coast of France called Ile de Re though. And I spent a summer on Vashon Island in the Puget Sound.

      Delete
  4. Awesome ideas! I feel like I need to sit down and really think about where I would want to go now, lol. I've been to Europe several times, but not since I was 16! My husband has never been so I'd love to go with him. My dad and his family is from Croatia and while I've been there lots, I'd love to go back now that I'm an adult and see more there with my husband. It's a beautiful, beautiful country! I'd love to go on a train trip too, by the prairies are painfully dull lol! And trains are sooooo expensive. I would do the train that takes you through BC and up towards Whistler (think it's the coastal passage route on the Rocky Mountaineer train).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How neat that you've been to Croatia, even if it was a long time ago. It's always great when you have family/friends in a place and can really experience it not as a tourist.
      These days the boredom of the prairies sounds nice sometimes! Just a few whole days where I can just sit and read and think and drink tea and watch the scenery and chat and nap etc... I'm sure it would get old after a couple hours actually but its sounds so peaceful.

      Delete
    2. haha well when you put it that, sign me up!! ;)

      Delete
  5. Patagonia looks stunning! As does the Baltic cruise.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.