Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Race Report: Thirsty 13 Half Marathon

As you probably know, or have gathered, I ran the Thirsty 13 Half Marathon last weekend. It's a point-to-point race that starts to the west of Durango and comes back along county roads to end at Ska Brewing. The race is associated with the San Juan Brew Fest, hence the name. [I believe an alternate name, which was voted down on Facebook, was the "Half-Brew" Half Marathon.] This was only the third year the race has been done but it was well organized. I did the inaugural run in 2014 and there was some confusion regarding the course in the last couple miles which I'm glad was cleared up this time. At 500 runners it is a small race but larger than most of the local ones I've done lately.

Mile 1 - 9:08, Trying to start out nice and easy and relaxed.

Mile 2 - 9:29, Up a small hill, Still trying to take it easy.

Mile 3 - 8:42, Mostly flat, I feel good!

Mile 4 - 7:55, I cannot begin to remember the last time I ran a mile that started with a 7! All downhill, Feeling very good and "floaty."

Mile 5 - 8:30, Mostly flat, I walk through the aid station and have a Clif Shot. I didn't run with my camera this time but this is the official photo taken around Mile 5. [Free race photos is one of my favorite perks!]


Mile 6 - 8:58, Up a medium hill, Feeling grateful that my everyday loop around the neighborhood has some pretty big hills so this doesn't feel completely awful.

Mile 7 - 9:02, I keep marveling about how good I feel midway through a half marathon!

Mile 8 - 9:58, I walk through another aid station and have another Clif Shot, which doesn't settle very well. Some pretty views of Lake Nighthorse but I start to think I won't make <2 hrs after all.

Mile 9 - 9:49, Up a long gradual hill but my stomach is feeling better so I keep plugging away.

Mile 10 - 8:25, We start to go downhill again.

Mile 11 - 7:59, This mile was all downhill. I sure didn't think I'd see another starts-with-7-mile! I just let gravity do the work.

Mile 12 - 9:28, We've made it back to Durango but in the "industrial" part of town... Not very picturesque and there's plenty of traffic.

Mile 13 - 10:12, This mile was miserable - It was pretty hot by then and the course went up and down and up the same darn hill on the way to the finish.
Official time - 1:58:02

Instead of a medal I got an enormous glass beer stein, which I have no idea what I'll do with it ever! It must be 32 ounces. I definitely don't drink that much beer at once! Although it might be the right size for a milkshake.

The only other photo I have is from the finish. My dad ran too so my mom and Swede came to meet us but Swede was a little shy of all the people as you can see.


I was really excited to finish under 2 hours. I did not think that would happen but all the downhill helped, plus I think the strength and stretching I've been doing the past eight weeks through 21 Day Fix has had a big impact on my overall running strength. Too bad it took me 15 years of running to figure this out but better late than never!

8 comments:

  1. WOO HOO!!! Congratulations, Kelly!!! Way to push through and nail that sub-2 finish, with lots of time to spare!!! You look fabulous in your race photo - so strong and relaxed. I agree with you that free race photos are one of the best perks any race can offer. Great job!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really didn't think I'd do <2 but the downhills really helped.
      I found another race photo (from mile 8) where I'm looking not so strong and relaxed, Haha, That was the low point. Well until mile 11 but that's always the low point.

      Delete
  2. Wow, congrats on a super speedy race! You look so strong in your photo and way ahead of the crowd too with those 7 and 8 minute miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It has been seriously years since I ran any mile that fast. I love going downhill! Although my quads paid for it the next day.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on running on awesome race! What a great race photo they got of you! I agree, free race photos are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I found another less good race photo from later on but luckily not in time to put it in this post, Haha.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your race and your great time! You flew through those.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.