Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Fall Traditions

Here we are, Friends. It's officially autumn today. [Do you prefer to call it autumn or fall?] It's definitely starting to feel like the season has changed here. There's a chill in the air in the early morning and the leaves are starting to turn. This weekend we might take the annual drive up to Silverton to see the fall colors.

Fall Colors 2014

Fall Colors 2015

Here are some other fall activities that I'm hoping might become family traditions:

1) This year we are going to do the Peanuts Great Pumpkin Patch Express train ride. It's a thirty-minute train ride to a pumpkin patch. There are also hay rides, a bounce house, face painting, trick or treating... I'm trying to keep my expectations low, because you never know how these things will go with toddlers, but I hope that it's fun.


2) For the first time year I think we will try to carve a Jack-o-Lantern with Swede. The last time I carved a pumpkin was in 2013 just before she was born. This year Swede is dead set on carving a kitty cat face Jack o' Lantern. [She got the idea from one of the Halloween books we've been reading.]

Can you guess which one is mine?

3) I thought it might be a fun idea to get some seasonal books for the kids that I put away each year after the holiday so that they stay fresh and fun when it's time to get them back out the next year. Our favorites for Halloween are: Boo by Leslie Patricelli, Spooky Pookie by Sandra Boynton, Peppa's Halloween Party, and Penguin and Pumpkin by Salina Yoon.


4) We might try to visit a local farm with a corn maze this year, but October is getting pretty busy pretty fast, so I might put this on the agenda for future years. There's also another small pumpkin patch closer by that we visited last year with Swede that's a possibility if we have time.


5) And, of course... It's time to get stared baking all things pumpkin! We'll start with pumpkin-shaped frosted sugar cookies, then move on to pumpkin cheesecake bars and pumpkin spice cupcakes and... What's your favorite pumpkin- or fall-flavored dessert?


Does your family have any other fall traditions? Apple picking sounds like a good one but we don't have an orchard nearby here unfortunately.

14 comments:

  1. I love the word autumn but I use the word fall.

    Hoping to hit up a farm on Saturday!

    Enjoy your fall family stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exactly the same, I prefer the word autumn, It's feel more romantic someday. But I usually do say fall.

      Delete
  2. What cute pictures of you and Swede! Our trees have not changed colors here yet but thats okay because I'm still enjoying what's left of the warm weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind enjoying what's left of the warm weather, It's been raining for a couple days I'm like, Wait, WHY was I so excited for fall???

      Delete
  3. We have about zero fall traditions here haha. We did a haunted hayride one time, which was not that scary but the ride getting there in the dark around Pennsylvania curved roads sure was. I think your ideas sound great! I haven't carved a pumpkin in a few years, either. It's probably more fun (maybe) with small children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see how pumpkin carving goes this year... Might just be a huge mess!

      Delete
  4. Love those pictures of you and Swede with the gorgeous colours in the back ground! We don't really have any fall traditions, but we usually get pumpkins. I don't think we actually carved it last year haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, We got a pumpkin last year but didn't carve it. Hopefully it's fun this year and not (too) messy. Hopefully the weather is nice enough that we can do it outside too!

      Delete
  5. The pictures of you and Swede are so adorable!!! Your fall/autumn activities sound heavenly, especially the Peanuts Great Pumpkin Patch Express. I love anything pumpkin - but my favorite is good old pumpkin pie! Sadly, though, I have never had much success trying to carve a jack-o-lantern. One thing I've always wanted to try is apple-picking. Over the summer I went blueberry picking and LOVED it, so I can imagine apple picking must be just as awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like most pumpkin desserts except for pumpkin pie. Maybe I'm just not putting enough whipped cream on top.
      My jack-o-lantern is the middle one with the goofy face so you can see how much success I usually have. One of my friends did the one with the owl using a kit and it turned out so well!

      Delete
  6. So growing up, I always wanted to name my daughter Autumn and then nickname her Fall. Haha, gosh I was weird ;)

    These are some great traditions! The train ride sounds awesome - I wish we had something like that here. We don't have any traditions but now I want to make some.

    I like carving pumpkins, but I HATE taking the guts out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, That is TOTALLY something I would have come up with a kid too. How's the baby name search going for Baby Girl?
      I am so excited for the train! I keep trying to reign in my expectations but I can't help it! I really really hope it's fun.

      Delete
    2. Ahhh it's so hard to pick a name! I only have two I really like, and Jim isn't sold on either of them yet.

      Delete
  7. These are so fun! I love how cute the sugar cookies are. My favorite book during this time of year as a kid is called Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman, It's super cheap!! I should buy one for someday! haha http://amzn.to/2xmXs79 When I worked at pre-school I found it in the library and read it to every single kiddo! We also read another good one called Pumpkin Soup - I think it includes the recipe. :) http://amzn.to/2xmYKid . These are legitimate recommendations, I promise. hehe We like carving pumpkins, having a Halloween party, and watching Hocus Pocus. And getting lots and lots of cider donuts. I want to try making some this year though! If you have a good recipe let me know! You guys bake more than anyone I know! :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.