Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Five Memories of Summer 2016

Do we all agree that Memorial Day and Labor Day are the bookends of summer? I know that fall doesn't officially start for another couple weeks but in my head (and in the weather) it's already here. So of course I'm looking back on the summer, and here are the memories that stand out in my mind.

1) That it was hard. I know I've mentioned it more than enough, but managing a toddler and a baby has been a difficult combination for me. I'm disappointed that we didn't get out more this summer. I was hoping to spend more time at the park, at the pool, on the river, going on bike rides, going hiking, and having picnics. But it turned out that in between the kids' napping schedules there was really only time for one activity per day, and that was often going to the gym on Saturday and going to church on Sunday. We did (and enjoyed) all the above activities probably once or twice, but far more time was spent on the day-to-day care and maintenance of small children with the inherent tantrums and fussy moments and tiredness and general wrangling/coercion/distraction/bribery.



2) We did have a Super Duper Weekend when Tyffani, Bryn, Elliott, and Bandersnatch came to visit!


3) I also had a great time celebrating my 35th birthday at home and in Denver.


4) Summer is race season in Colorado and I did one race per month: the Narrow Gauge 10-mile in May, the Steamworks Half Marathon in June, the Kennebec Mountain Run in July, and the Thirsty 13 Half Marathon in August.


5) That the kids are wonderful. The other side of my first point is that the kids are adorable and funny and smart and sweet and I love them with all my heart. I will forever remember this as the summer my babies were babies. I have so enjoyed watching Swede grow from a toddler into a little girl, and is happening so fast. She says the funniest things. She is creative and smart and I love that she loves to read. Abel is so darn cute I can't stand it. He is absolutely thrilled and enthusiastic about being alive to experience this world. I adore his smile and his laugh and his chubby legs and his sweet baby smell and his determined power crawl towards whatever mischief he can manage.



Coming up next week... How I'm going completely overboard planning fall activities and traditions.

6 comments:

  1. I can only imagine the schedule between taking care of a toddler and a baby! If we have more kids, I would love for them to be close in age but I know it's also a struggle dealing with two small children. Chubby baby legs! I am already dreaming of them. You did a pretty good job getting activities and runs in! And there are so many cool fall things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted the kids to be close in age as well - <2 yrs was always my plan and they are 2 yrs & 6 days apart... Close enough! I think it will be fun having them close once they are older... 2&4, 6&8, etc. But these early years are hard!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for keeping it real! I think we all always have these great expectations of what we will do in the summer but the reality is that life happens! Your children really are adorable I can't imagine them throwing tantrums..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wish it were true that they're always this cute & never having meltdowns! I just don't take photos of the less adorable moments. ;-)

      Delete
  3. I hear ya - it's so hard to do a lot in one day! I mean, naps are one thing, but I take forever to get out of the house too! LOL. And there's the constant demand to make them someone to eat, the cleaning up of said meals/snacks and then sometimes mama just needs some down time! I try to remember that we're all just doing our best and luckily, they won't remember whether we did one activity or 10 in a day, all they care about is having fun and being loved. And really, sometimes it's the simplest things that they find fun! Like throwing rocks for an hour...;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true - Sometimes I feel like we put so much pressure on ourselves to create these magical experiences and traditions and memories for our kids but often what they enjoy and remember the most is the everyday little things.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.