Monday, September 5, 2016

Labor Day Weekend 2016

Hey Friends! Did you have a good long weekend? Mine was mostly uneventful but mostly nice. [That's a pretty standard description of every weekend these days really.] Spending time with the kids is the main feature with a few runs and books and a nice meal thrown in.

Saturday:

In the morning I ran 8 miles. That is my new standard "long run" distance. The first couple miles it felt like my arms and legs had been taken off my body overnight and put back on wrong. But then... The click. Runners - Do you know what I mean? That moment 2-3 miles into a long run when it all falls into place and you start to cruise along effortlessly? That's one of my favorite things about running.

Later... Swede lined up our dining room chairs and pretended they were a train. This was fun for at least an hour. She gave each and every one of her stuffed animal friends a ride. 


This photo of Abel laughing brings joy into my heart! He is such a happy little fellow. So quick to smile and laugh.


In the afternoon our weekly babysitter came over, so Jonathan and I headed out to try a new restaurant, Plate. I liked the queso with fresh tortilla chips and this "Aspen Lemonade."


Sunday:

Abel's current schedule is that he wakes up around 6:30-7 and takes his first nap around 9-9:30, which makes it difficult to get to our usual 9:30 church service. This week we went to the 8 o'clock service. The timing worked out better for Abel's first nap but it was a challenge to get out to door by 7:45!

Afterwards, Swede and I went on a nature walk, and Abel could not stop playing with this tennis ball.



We went over to Jonathan's parents' house for dinner - Fried chicken and baked beans and potato salad and homemade ice cream. [With many many sprinkles for Swede.] Isn't that just a classic Labor Day Weekend meal?

Monday:

I went on a hike around the neighborhood with Abel and Gumball in the morning, and then after Abel's first nap my mom and I took the kids to the river. [Which is what we did last year on Labor Day too!] Swede had a blast but Abel was more challenging given his propensity to put everything (sand, rocks) into his mouth.



After the afternoon naps things went a little sideways. Both kids woke up so cranky. So cranky! Abel was fussy, with nary a smile to be seen. And Swede - Let's just say it was a difficult afternoon and evening. The bright side is that I'm not entirely sorry to be heading back to work tomorrow... Sigh.

That's all! And onward we go into fall...

12 comments:

  1. Great pics of th kiddos and major props for getting out the door thy early! Our naps have been way off schedule lately which call for some extra crank, and I just noticed a handful of teeth that are making their way through...oy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember in my old life (aka before I had kids) I'd go to yoga at 6 a.m. I can't fathom getting out the door at that time these days. Not that I'm not awake by then more often than not... But getting out the door is another story!

      Delete
  2. Now that I got 2 runs in with cooler temps, I am starting to feel the point at mile 2 or so when everything clicks! It made me feel like I could even run further than what I had scheduled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that feeling! Misery misery misery, Plodding along... And then --- MAGIC! :-)
      I lived in Florida for 2.5 years and the summer humidity nearly did me in! I didn't know what sweaty was until I lived there!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, your kiddos are so cute! It's still super hot here in upstate NY, so I've been sticking to short runs and long swims. I'm sure I'll start kicking up the mileage once cooler weather finally hits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swimming, Eh? I tried to convince myself to like swimming many times when I was younger, but it's so hard! I can't even remember the last time I swam a lap. 10 mile run any day for me please!
      Thank you for stopping by! Off to stalk your blog now. :-)

      Delete
  4. Isn't it the worst when kids wake up super cranky from their naps?! I'm always like, was that 2 hours to myself even worth it now? Haha! But otherwise, it looks like you guys had a really nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, I would rather they not have napped at all - Swede in particular - if she's going to wake up SO cranky.

      Delete
  5. I love the both of the first two pictures of the kids! So cute. Gah, kids who wake up cranky from naps are the worst. They should just go right back to bed. That's awesome that you guys are doing weekly dates- do you have the same babysitter each week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have sent them right back to bed. As it is Abel went to bed at 5:15 which is super early even by his standards!
      We do have the same babysitter every week which is really great for everyone. I don't have to worry about finding someone every week and the kids have someone they know and like. We found her on care.com.

      Delete
  6. I hope I can do that long run thing one day. I usually stick to 2-3 miles (when I'm not pregnant.. I'd probably get about 20 feet right now). I have definitely noticed how some days are totally different than others as far as how much your body is prepped to run, though. Some days feel like my legs were built for running and other days it's like they're made out of Lego's or something. Not sure what gives. Swede's outfit on the nature walk is too cute! Queso and tortilla chips sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Legos! Haha, I totally agree.
      I love that dinosaur dress of Swede's too - It's from Mini Boden, I think they have the cutest stuff (albeit expensive, so I wait for sales and buy only my very favorites).

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.