Thursday, October 6, 2016

Coffee Date #6

Hey Friends! Today I'm linking up with Kristen and Gretchen for What's New With You, and this time I actually do have some new and exciting things to share! So let's catch up, coffee date style, although instead of my usual latte I'll be having an herbal tea with lots of honey because I finally succumbed to the latest cold Swede brought home from preschool.

What's New With You

[Side note: I have zero photos that go with anything I'm talking about in this post so I'm going to pop in some recent favorites here and there as a break from my chatter.]


The big news that I want to share with you is that we bought a new house and are moving next week! [Have I started packing? Nope.] We've been looking for something new for about a year. Our current house is just not quite big enough for two kids and two home offices. The new house has one more bedroom (aka I get my own office instead of a corner of the living room!) as well as a more spacious kitchen. Another perk is that it's on a cul-de-sac so there will be much less traffic.

The new house in the same neighborhood that we're in now which I like because a) there are hiking trails right out the front door, and b) my parents are within walking distance, although the biggest downside to the new house is that they'll be a ten-minute walk away instead of the current five-minute walk. I know that's seems silly but it adds up when you're back and forth several times a day with the kids. I'm excited to share some photos once we've moved, and I'm feeling motivated to decorate (or attempt to decorate) in a semi-cute way.


Last month I read Growing Up Mindful: Essential Practices to Help Children, Teens, and Families Find Balance, Calm, and Resilience by Christopher Willard. It made a big impact on me and I've been making a serious effort to implement some of the strategies ever since. It's been more useful to my personal "mindfulness practice" so far because the kids are too young for most of the exercises, but I know that my example is one of the most important influences they'll ever have and I want it to be a good one!

Some of my biggest challenges to mindfulness are multi-tasking, thinking about what I'm going to do next instead of focusing on the present moment, and "checking out" with random internet scrolling on my phone. I know that October is going to be a busy and stressful month for me. Already this week I've been at my wit's end more than once. We're closing on the new house the same week as my last big work deadline of the year. Plus I'm going to Denver twice for work. And I do still want to do some fun family Halloween activities.

But I'm still going to try to keep the mindfulness focus. Here are a couple mantras I've been repeating to myself when I catch myself going over my to-do list in my head for the dozenth time: Right Here, Right Now, and You'll Get There When You Get There. Or I'll try to ground myself in the moment by focusing on what I can see and hear and feel (and taste and small, if applicable, but my cold has put those two senses out of commission right now).


Since what's new with me also includes what's new with the kids... Another exciting recent development is that Abel started walking! It's been a gradual process. He took his first steps a couple weeks ago right after his ten-month birthday, but then it was a couple days before he tried again. He's been cruising for a while, so now he'll do a couple steps on his own between handholds, but he won't launch out on his own unless I'm coaxing him to come to me. I can tell he's getting more and more confident every day, so it's only a matter of time until he's running circles around me.

I guess we're entering the dreaded "threenager" zone with Swede and she certainly has her moods and her bossy (aka tyrannical) tendencies, but overall I find her so very delightful. Imaginative play is in full force. It's so fun and funny to watch and see what's she'll come up with next. She is starting to play with Abel a little better (and vice versa). Today she invited him into her "kitchen" for a tea party which was very sweet.

That's all! What's new with you?

16 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new house! I hear you on the 5 minute difference, when we moved we were about another 7 minutes away from our dayhome and it adds up!
    The threeanger stage, isn't it fun? Knock on wood Avery has had a good week after a couple rough ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was complaining about the extra minute "commute" to my friends in Denver and they thought I was crazy! I'm glad you agree - I does add up over time.
      The threenager-ish behavior does seem to come in waves. We'll have a couple great days and then a couple not-so-great days. It's so unpredictable!

      Delete
  2. Yay congrats on the new house...that's so exciting!! We went through a bit of a threenager stage with our oldest and it got WAY better at age 4 and even better now at age 5 :) That mindfulness book sounds really good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just started packing this weekend which is a little overwhelming but it'll be great to be in the new space.

      Delete
  3. awwww tea parties, how cute! congrats on the house. that sucks the walk is a bit longer, but yay for the extra room. we might be selling soon and i've already started decluttering and boxing things up but it's kind of hard to think what we may or may not need, so there's a lot of half empty boxes around my house. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are way in advance of me on the decluttering and packing up. We are closing on Tuesday and I started packing today, by which I mean I got maybe 2/3 through my closet. So much to do!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the new house! So exciting. We can whine about having to pack together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so terrible! I hate packing. :-(

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the new house! Can't wait to see photos :) Good luck packing up in a week, eek!! So jealous you live so close to your parents. I keep hearing 3 is worse than 2 and I'm like how is that possible?! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've almost made it through the "terrible twos" with Swede and overall it was by far my favorite year. Honestly I keep thinking about Abel, "I can't wait until you're two!" It's just so much fun. And I find it sooo difficult not being able to communicate. We'll see with age three... I'm like, "Please don't take away my sweet girl!"

      Delete
  6. Very cool that you are still in you same neighborhood! Can't wait to see how you decorate!

    Your children truly do look delightful! You are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are (mostly) a great joy. :-)
      Re: Decorating, It will be a slow process, but someday I hope to be a little more put together than this random assortment of furniture & stuff we've collected over the years.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on the new house! Very exciting. I am hoping my husband and I can get our first in the next few years. :) Your kiddos are so cute, fun that he's taken his first few steps, but bummer about the threenager thing. I guess that's kind of how it goes though right? - or so I hear. :) October is always such a busy month but I am hoping to enjoy it as well. :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I look back on those carefree days of renting, Haha. If something broke... Not my problem!
      It's hard not to label the "threenager" behavior but I try to remember that we all have good days and bad days. Usually my meltdowns are not because, say, I can't wear my favorite shirt because it's in the laundry, but it's often not much more justified!

      Delete
  8. Your new house sounds absolutely perfect! Congratulations! Good luck packing and moving! It will all be worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Started packing today and feeling super overwhelmed. It will all be worth it. (I keep repeating that).

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.