Friday, October 28, 2016

Five Random Thoughts

Happy Friday! Today I'm joining Fairytales & Fitness and Running on Happy for the Friday Five 2.0 linkup. All I have today is a list of random this-and-that to share with you, which is perfectly representative of my scatterbrained state of mind these days.

1) You probably know that I'm a big fan of Gretchen Rubin. One of my favorite "Secrets of Adulthood" is: Outer order contributes to inner calm. This is so true for me. And I've discovered during the recent lack of outer order due to moving that the reverse is also true for me. On Monday night I organized my closet, and walking into a clean and organized space instead of a chaotic jumble of clothes and shoes is deeply satisfying.



2) I'm really looking forward to the Gilmore Girls revival. The preview looks so fun. I watched the whole series in my early twenties and again in the early thirties, and my perspective shift in that decade was significant. The first time I identified more with Rory, and the second time I identified more with Lorelei. Young Kelly was also Team Jess. Old Kelly is like: "Are you kidding? Anyone can see that boy is up to no good."



3) As I promised on Sunday, I've gotten back into the habit of daily exercise after a three week hiatus, and it feels really good. although I am sore all over again from 21 Day Fix. I had a good run yesterday too (albeit short, because it was getting dark and I'm scared of mountain lions) so hopefully the past three weeks haven't completely reversed all the hard work of getting back into shape this summer.



4) I've starting planning a little party for Swede's 3rd(!) birthday next month. I think I'm going to do a Peppa Pig theme. I ordered these party supplies and her present is going to be this tea set, which will come in handy for all the tea parties she has with her stuffed animal friends, mostly recently at 3 am last Tuesday night.



5) I feel like I've been a little quiet on the blog lately. I guess we all go through seasons like this. But I'm feeling re-newly excited and have some ideas for content other than weekend recaps and randomy randomness chit-chat. Not that there won't still be some of that too!

That's all! What are you up to this weekend? We have Swede's preschool Halloween party this afternoon and I want to carve a jack-o-lantern and make frosted pumpkin cut-out cookies.

20 comments:

  1. I love the idea of outer order contributing to inner calm too and that's my plan for the entire weekend in our house. :) I loved the Gilmore Girls preview! I'm so excited for it. I'm kind of torn but I think I am actually still on Team Logan, which I know is unpopular. I felt heartbroken when he got turned down. Less than a month to go!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Logan in the preview too... We'll just have to see what happens - I so excited to watch it!
      Hope you managed to restore some outer order & inner calm this weekend. :-)

      Delete
  2. I've recently become a big fan of organizing and purging. Definitely brings a feeling of peace!

    I cannot wait for Gilmore Girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Gilmore Girls! I'm sure I'm going to fighting my husband for the TV all weekend. :-)

      Delete
  3. I cannot wait for Gilmore Girls! The preview made me so much more excited. Everyone is in it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, EVERYONE is in it! Looks like so much fun. Good old Stars Hollow. :-)

      Delete
  4. So I never watched GG in it's entirety...my mom and sister were huge fans, so I only caught episodes here and there. But I've gone back and have started season 1, with the intent of catching up by the time the revival comes out! Haha, I have some serious TV watching to do!!

    Hahaha did Swede get up and start having a tea party in the middle of the night?! Too funny! Sometimes Sully will wake up in the night and start jumping in his crib! He must be doing it in his sleep, because even if we go in and lay him back down, he just starts up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do have some serious TV watching to do! I have faith in you. ;-)
      Swede almost never wakes up at night so the 3 am tea party was unusual and thankfully a one-time event.
      How funny about Sully jumping up and down in his crib at night, I can definitely see why you're even more hesitant to move him into a bed now!

      Delete
  5. I think there's a lot of truth to the outer order inner calm concept. I know I always feel better and more relaxed when things are organized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true. Sometimes I forget and am start feeling really hectic then... Organize my desk and make a list, deep breath = Feeling much better already!

      Delete
  6. I never watched Gilmour Girls. I kinda wish I had now with all the excitement I've seen all over the interwebs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too late! You only have 6 seasons to get through in 4 weeks... Totally doable, Haha.

      Delete
  7. Yay for daily exercise! I try to do 20 minutes of "something" daily....I'm almost to the taper for my marathon, so my recovery days are very easy right now LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daily exercise really helps me feel SO much better. Even on my designated Friday off from "official" working out I still walk the dog or do a little yoga.

      Delete
  8. Planning children's birthday parties are so much fun! They get so darn excited about things! I was just reading another blog and they had mentioned about Gilmore Girls, I have never watched that series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swede is going to be SO excited about all the Peppa party decorations.
      The Gilmore Girls will be always be waiting for you if you ever need something to binge watch. :-) It's a cute show.

      Delete
  9. I totally agree that outer order supports inner calm, but I need to invest more time on outer order when I'm stressed because I tend to try to block out the chaos instead of dealing with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I had been trying to just ignore the closet chaos but it was always there nagging at the back of my mind and once I finally just dealt with it I felt so much better. Now the challenge is to KEEP it clean & organized.

      Delete
  10. I've got to look into this outer order thing. Because I definitely FEEL it... and want to read up on it more, now...! Gilmore Girls is my life long love (aside from my husband) - he also likes it which is nice. :) I have so far always identified with Lorelai and been Team Jess. I feel like he grew up as the show went on (even though he's not consistently in it through the end). I really really can't wait to see what they do (period!) but especially with Jess's character. :) We shall see. Either way, I'm trying to figure out how I can watch it all and still attend thanksgiving week/weekend events... eep. I won't be able to use any social media until I finish it..because #spoilers. XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cool that your husband watched GG too. J and I have such different taste in movies and TV. The only show we watch together is Brooklyn 99, and we'll watch a movie together once every couple months maybe, but most of the time we're fighting over TV time - I guess we should just get a 2nd TV. Good point about avoiding social media until I finish GG! I don't want any spoilers either.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.