Monday, October 31, 2016

Stuff I bought in October

So, I've made a resolution starting today to not buy any new clothes for six months. Going through my closet due to moving made me realize that I have more than enough clothing, and I've been a little aware (and annoyed) with how much time and money I've been spending online shopping lately. I was planning to make this a New Year's Resolution, but I bought a few last items in October and decided that I might as well start now!

Here are a few of the recent purchases that I just had to have before I cut myself off:

1) I bought the Star Valley Fleece Wrap from Athleta two weeks ago and I've worn it for some portion of every day since. It is so cozy.


2) From Eddie Bauer I bought the Trophy Reversible Vest and Stine's Favorite Waffle Henley. I also ordered the Hadley Dress but it hasn't arrived yet. All these were at 40% off - Yay!


3) In the photos above I'm wearing a new pair of my favorite High-Rise Skinny Jeans from Madewell. I wore the cropped version all summer and decided I needed a full-length version for winter.

4) For the kids, I bought Swede a Long-Sleeve Classic T-Shirt in black for her Halloween "costume," as well as a Long-Sleeve Dress, from Primary, and I bought Abel a Warm Winter Pilot Cap from Hanna Andersson.



6) Last week I showed you the Peppa Pig Tea Time Set that I'm giving Swede for her birthday. For Abel's birthday I bought this Baby's First Photo Album and filled it with family photos. It has flexible plastic pages for the photos. I think he'll really like this as he loves to look at family photos but is frustrated that he's never allowed to touch (and chew) them.


7) Finally - I cashed in my Ibotta rewards for an Amazon gift card and picked up a few books I've been wanting to read that the library doesn't have.


And now you can see why a spending freeze is in order! I do still have some Christmas presents to buy but I'm counting on you to hold me accountable to not buy any clothes through next April. That seems like a long time away but honestly I'm cheating a little because I'll be too busy with work from February on to think about online shopping.

What are some of your favorite recent purchases? Do you do most of your shopping online or in real stores?

10 comments:

  1. I'm impressed! I couldn't go that long lol. I need to get rid of a ton before January and focus on buying key pieces I love before going back to work.
    I usually shop online these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see if I can do it. Day 1 and I've already been tempted! Online shopping is so much easier. I live in a small town so real shopping is limited but I'd probably shop online anyway even if I was in the city vs trying to go anywhere with the kids!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh - I need to go through my closet and pare things down, too. I've got a ton of race shirts and could probably get rid of 75% of them without ever missing them. The fleece wrap from Athleta looks so warm and cozy! I have had good experiences with the Athleta brand.

    Sales tax in Chicago is amongst the highest in the nation, so I do a lot of online shopping to bypass it! Especially from retailers who offer free shipping (Running Warehouse is one of my favorites!!!). Anytime I visit places like Delaware that have no sales tax, I go nuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave away most of my race shirts in the past two moves. It's always a little hard but I try to remind myself it's just stuff and I have the memory.
      Athleta is one of my favorite sources for athletic (and cozy) gear. Free shipping is definitely key for online shopping. I can't stand paying for shipping anyway. I will have to check out Running Warehouse. Oh wait, I'm not supposed to buy anything for 6 months!

      Delete
  3. I prefer in person shopping, but have gotten more into online orders recently. I've been doing some subsciptions and stocking up on things as my favorite sites have sales. This year was a lot about updating my basics - which is really good. Very much needed but a bit more than I usually spend. I am (mostly/sort of) succeeding on my book ban which is decent... Trying to be better about going out to eat or to too many events a lot. Overall the budgeting is going well, but there are always places to cut and be aware of. :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like in-person shopping but I don't get many opportunities these days. I did manage to squeeze in a quick shopping trip when I was in Denver last and it was so fun! That's when I bought the EB vest and the jeans.

      Delete
  4. I've very recently gotten into online clothes shopping and am finding it hard to keep to my budget. I need to do a ban for myself soon too!

    I love your fleece wrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so comfy, I love it!
      My tricks to avoid extra online shopping: throw catalogs into the recycle bin immediately and unsubscribe form all store emails with deals.

      Delete
  5. I'm not really having this problem right now (thank you pregnancy!), but I find other ways to spend my money, haha. I did buy some maternity items earlier on in my pregnancy that I regret spending money on (like TWO pairs of these linen pants from old navy - definitely didn't need to buy two pairs). I think the only thing I will need to buy before baby comes (for myself I mean) is some new nursing bras and nursing tanks for sleeping in. I've almost literally worn my old ones out since I nursed for so long and have now also been wearing them throughout my pregnancy.

    I rarely online shop for myself - I find my body type is just too hard to shop online for...but I wish! Or I just need to get more confident and knowledgeable in what looks good on me...post baby obviously ;)

    I just ordered myself the David's Tea Advent calendar (24 days of tea!) even though I'm not done my one from last year (oy!). Don't tell me husband! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year was definitely a slower shopping year for me due to pregnancy. Especially during the 2nd (and last) pregnancy it seems like a waste to spend $ on maternity clothes.
      I really only buy from a couple online stores that I feel confident in the fit & sizing, I rarely try any a new online store unless I've had a chance to visit a real store first.
      The tea Advent calendar looks fun! I remember seeing those last year but it was already mid-Dec, but plenty of time this year. I have a bad feeling I'm just going to replace online clothes shopping with online other stuff shopping...

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.