Sunday, October 9, 2016

The Weekend & Week Ahead [Oct 9, 2016]

Hey Friends! Did you have a good weekend? I'm sorry to tell you that it was a bit of a struggle over here. Abel was sick which was difficult on everyone. We cancelled our babysitter for Saturday afternoon and I didn't run the half marathon I was signed up for on Sunday. [Although I might not have done it anyway since it was pouring rain all Sunday morning and I'm still recovering from being sick with a cold of my own all last week. Honestly I was glad that the decision was made for me.]

Nap time snuggles with a sick baby

Baked buttermilk doughnuts with vanilla glaze

There were still some nice moments scattered throughout. Swede was really fabulous all weekend. and we had so much fun together. We made doughnuts. [Full disclosure: Also a batch of chocolate chip cookies. It was not the healthiest weekend.] We watched the Peanuts movie. There was an extended and hilarious session of I'm-going-to-catch-and-tickle-you to Swede's great delight. Abel was feeling much better on Sunday, thankfully, so we had some fun playing peek-a-boo and taking a stroll with Gumball while Swede napped.

A happier healthier baby

Swede being fabulous

Here's what's happening this week:

Meals:
I'm trying to keep it simple this week since our kitchen will be in various states of packing and unpacking these next two weeks.

Mon: Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese from How Sweet It is

Tue: Chicken Pot Pie Soup from Gimme Some Oven
Wed: Quesadillas
Thu: Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup
Fri: Pizza

Workouts:

I was so dedicated in September and I did three runs and three 21 Day Fix workouts every single week all month. So far October has not been quite as successful, by which I mean I ran six miles on October 1st and have done nothing since. [I was sick!] I'm planning to get back on schedule tomorrow.


Other:
We're closing on our new house on Tuesday! That is all.

I hope that October is treating you well! Are you doing anything fun this week?

8 comments:

  1. Wow, what a bummer that he was sick, but I'm glad you were able to make the most of it and that Swede was being so much fun! :) How did you choose that name?! It's so interesting and unique! I love it! I'm impressed with your workouts! We are focusing on planning less, and cooking at home more right now. Also, I am trying to be really conscious of when I am having sodas, etc. I don't even want them most of the time. So it is good to be thinking about more consistently. I hope to add workouts back in very soon. One positive is that my office has moved from the 2nd floor to the 7th in my building at work! So I am getting in lots more stairs than before. I like building in movement to normal routine too. :) I can already feel my legs burning from just a week of it! Good luck with all of the house stuff! Moving is so much work, but worth it! :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swede's real name is actually Ingrid but we call her Swede 99% of the time because a) she's named after Ingrid Bergman who is Swedish and b) one of my all time favorite book characters is an eight-year old girl named Swede.
      Good for you taking the stairs all the way to the 7th floor all the time! I am really lazy about taking the stairs. In my old office building (my firm had 8 stories of it) I'd take the stairs for 2 flights but the elevator for anything more.
      We closed on the house this morning so moving is a GO!

      Delete
  2. That stinks that he was sick, and that you had to miss your race! Glad you had some good moments though. Those donuts look delicious! Hope everyone is feeling back to normal this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are *almost* all healthy and happy again! I guess there was nothing wrong that a donut couldn't cure. :-)

      Delete
  3. Wow, you make donuts? They look fabulous!
    I'm glad that you were happy with the decision to not run the race. Sounds like it would have been miserable conditions anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are baked donuts from a King Arthur box mix, so it's super easy. They are more like muffins in donut form than actual donuts but still delicious!

      Delete
  4. Aw, poor little guy! I'm glad he's feeling better! I've had to skip races too. We skipped out on a Turkey Troy one thanksgiving because it was raining and freezing. I totally felt guilty about it afterward but it is what it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have skipped that Turkey Trot too, I am such a wuss about running in inclement weather!

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.