Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Five Favorites - November 2016

Hey Friends! It's been a while since I've done a Favorites post. [Insert pause while I look back over the blog to find the last one... Yep - It was in August.] Sometimes I feel like I don't have anything new to share, and sometimes, like today, I have a hard time narrowing it down to just five things, so I might try to squeeze in a few extras...

1) We've been in our new house for six weeks and I am really happy with the move. It seems more and more like the perfect house for our family. I love: the layout, the bigger kitchen, the fireplace, the fenced back yard, the huge bathtub, the built-in shelving, and having my own office. I want to live here forever.


2) I have a "normal" Bible already,  but I couldn't resist buying the Beautiful Word Bible last month. One of my goals currently is to make Bible study a daily practice and the beautiful illustrated verses scattered throughout this one make it even more inspiring and enjoyable.


3) Do you remember the paper Scholastic book flyers in elementary school? I used to love pouring over the books and choosing the exact perfect one, then the interminable wait until it arrived. [Ah, the days before Amazon Prime!] I was surprised to find out that the same paper flyers are still coming home monthly from Swede's preschool. Except now you can order online. Although there's still the interminable wait. Anyway - Last month I ordered a set of ten classic fairy tales. They are just the right length and the illustrations are so cute. Swede loves them!


4) This appears to be a book heavy post, but I have to mention Ilana Wiles' book, The Mommy Shorts Guide to Average Parenting. It is SO funny! I want to buy a copy for all my mom friends. She also has a hilarious Instagram that picked up this photo of Swede from a couple weeks ago.


5) Do you remember when I said I wasn't going to buy any clothes for six months? Well, I have been mostly successful for one month so far, except that I did buy the Brooks reflective Drift Shell for running at night. In daylight it's a black coat with a pale silvery pattern but at night it lights up. I also picked up the Ultimate Night Light headlamp from Title Nine, and am very happy with both items.


BONUS - Christmas favorites: 1) I had these stockings made last year by The Colorful Chicken but I still love them so much. 2) I think I'm going to start a tradition of getting the kids a new Christmas ornament every year - I started this year with a camper van for Swede from Land of Nod. It doesn't look like it's available anymore but they have so many cute ornaments. 3) As previously noted, I'm obsessed with Abel's winter sweater from Boden.




That's all! What are you loving lately?
I'm linking up with Kristen and Gretchen for What's New With You!

32 comments:

  1. Scholastic was the best!!! I can't wait to have that flyer come home lol.
    Wait, I missed that photo on IG?! I'll go look for it!
    P.s. House photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep meaning to do a house tour post but it never seems clean enough, Haha.

      Delete
  2. We get Scholastic orders from Molly's school (we had them in preschool too) - so awesome! So glad you are enjoying the new house; you sound very happy there! I'm going to follow average parenting on instagram - that sounds like fun! Your stockings are so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised (and pleased) when the Scholastic flyer first came home, I guess I thought that it wouldn't still be at thing now that we can shop so easily/cheaply online. But I like looking through it with Swede and I like that it helps the class.
      Average parenting is so funny (and relatable). :-)

      Delete
  3. I love it. Book orders were my favorite as a kid!! I looooved them. :) That photo is too good of Swede!! hehe I love all of your Christmas items! So glad you are loving your house, it sounds GREAT! I think that that bible is really pretty. I'm a sucker for hand lettering. ;) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the book orders as a kid too, So excited they are still around.
      The Bible is sooo pretty! Makes me want to learn how to calligraphy like you.

      Delete
  4. Glad you are loving your new home, that is so important!

    Oh I remember those book flyers! Glad to see they haven't gone away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I liked it when we bought it but now 2 months later am even more glad!
      I know - I was so glad that the book flyers are still at thing!

      Delete
  5. I remember those book orders! They were the best. I feel the same way about our new house. It's only been a few days, but feels like home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are loving your new house too!

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you're happy in your new home! I love our home, but I think I'll be ready for more space when we PCS. Also, those stockings are divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you could make some super cute stockings! I love all your fabric prints.

      Delete
  7. That Bible is beautiful! And I love those stockings, they are super cute! I miss book orders, they were the highlight of the month in elementary school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent way too much timing picking out the stockings last year but it was worth it, They make me so happy every time I see them!

      Delete
  8. Scholastic Book Time was my very favorite time. I love when kids enjoy it!

    I want a fireplace. I'm glad you're enjoying your new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Swede loves to read. It is so much fun! Abel is not interesting in books at all yet but hopefully he'll get there...

      Delete
  9. i totally think i am going to do the christmas ornament thing with my kids. i tried to do it with KC and I (one for each year or big things like getting married/house etc) but i am extremely forgetful and lazy, so we'll see. that brooks reflective thing seems so nifty!!! definitely worth spending money on.
    i remember we had something similar with the books in primary school but i could never actually order any because they were so expensive. same company though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I tried to do it with my husband too the first few years pre-kids but it failed due to the same forgetful/laziness.
      The reflective jacket has been so great! Anything that will keep in running in winter... Until I save up for a treadmill that is...

      Delete
  10. I loved the Scholastic Book Fairs! I knew they still did them, but I didn't realize you could order online. That's handy. My grade school always had parent/teacher conferences when the books were in, so we'd go during the day and find what we wanted and then our parents had to go that night to the conferences if they wanted to buy our books. I was such a read-a-holic (still am!) that my parents only really went to get me the books. They met with my teachers, but they didn't really care about that part since I was pretty much a quiet kid who did her work. haha

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a fun memory! I was pretty much the same in elementary school (and today). Quiet, Don't make a fuss, Get the work done, and then read read read.

      Delete
  11. what? we still have to use the paper version of Scholastic ordering...we need to get with the times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, You do! Ordering online is really easy.

      Delete
  12. Glad that you're treasuring the house - it sounds great. And that Bible is gorgeous.

    Lastly, running clothes aren't clothes... they're gear... crucial gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Thank you Rebekah for justifying my jacket purchase. But seriously, it is crucial to keep me running all winter.

      Delete
  13. That Scholastic Flyer was always my favorite thing as a kid. I usually wanted 2478456 times more things than I could convince my parents to let me order, but hey, any books are better than no books.

    Glad to know these are still a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so glad too when I found out they still did the book flyer! I always wanted ALL THE BOOKS too when I was a kid. Well, and not much has changed now. :-)

      Delete
  14. That picture of Swede not napping is hilarious and so adorable!!! Very cool that it got picked up on Ilana Wiles' Instagram. I love that reflective Brooks jacket!!! I've seen a couple of similarly spectacular options and have been super tempted to get one. It's all in the name of safety, right? =) What a great idea to start the tradition of getting the kids one new ornament every year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I could have gotten a much cheaper reflective vest to go over anything but... I just really wanted to jacket and managed to justify it in the name of safety. ;-)

      Delete
  15. I loved the scholastic book orders too! I knew they still did them because of my nephews...and I hope they are still around by the time my kids are in school! I also really miss the book mobile!

    Hahaha I loved that photo of Swede during "nap time", so funny! And awesome it got reposted! And yes, more house photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if the Scholastic book orders have lasted this long they'll definitely still be here for your kiddos. :-)

      I keep meaning to do a house tour but the house never seems clean enough!!!

      Delete
  16. Ah you got the Bible! Isn't it great? I love that cover option too. So gorgeous! I am eating up all the pics of your kids on Insta - they are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been meaning to tell you how much I like it! So pretty.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.