Sunday, November 20, 2016

Swede's Birthday Weekend

Hey Friends! It has been a busy long weekend of celebration for my favorite three-year-old! The festivities commenced with mini pumpkin spice cupcakes for Swede's school party on Thursday, which my mom and Swede made together on Wednesday. 

Her actual birthday was Friday, so I put up a huge Peppa Pig Birthday Banner the night before and gave her the Peppa Pig Tea Set in the morning. [This birthday will be forever remembered as the year of all things Peppa Pig.] She requested quesadillas for dinner and then we made chocolate cupcakes for the party on Saturday. 


[Side note: Jessica's cupcake recipes are the best! Although I generally cut her frosting recipes in half or even in thirds because I don't think anyone needs that much frosting.] 

On Saturday I managed to squeeze in a six mile run before getting everything organized for the party. I did a cheese/salami/olive plate, veggies and dip, punch, and the chocolate cupcakes. My mom brought over pepperoni pizza rolls which were a big hit. I bought a set of Peppa Pig plates, cups, and napkins, as well as the cupcake toppers, but that was pretty much the extent of my party planning and decorating ability. 


Our guest list was exactly 16 people, including our family - My parents, Jonathan's parents, our babysitter, my new friend Diana and her family, and Jonathan's friend Matt and his family. It was a really fun time and Swede received so many thoughtful presents. There were many Peppa Pig items, but miraculously no duplicates. Play-Doh is the other big hit right now.

I didn't take many photos but I saw that our babysitter had a camera out so perhaps I'll get  few more from her later.



This photo would be cute if not for Swede's maniacal expression... I blame too much sugar and excitement.

Abel was mesmerized by Swede's birthday balloons.

As for the rest of the weekend... Let's just say there were highs and lows. The low was that Swede was up sick with stomach flu every couple hours from about 9 pm to 4 am on Saturday night. It was miserable.  Thankfully she slept in until 9 am and was her normal cheerful and healthy self all day Sunday, and no one else in the family (and hopefully no one else who attended the party) was sick either.

We didn't make it to church though so it was a rather long morning at home. The kids did both take long afternoon naps, and I managed to nap for a little while too, then I took Abel and Gumball on a hike, and then we all went to Grassburger for dinner. [These latter items representing the highs.]

The upcoming week is another busy one! On Monday I'm taking Swede in for her annual checkup in the morning then meeting a client for lunch. On Wednesday I'm having lunch with my friend Chesleigh from Denver who is in the area to visit family. 

And then, of course, Thanksgiving is on Thursday and it's also Abel's first birthday. We are doing a birthday breakfast with my parents and then Thanksgiving dinner with Jonathan's family. I'm contributing a sweet potato gratin and I hope I don't cause a mutiny by the lack of marshmallows.

As the kids' birthdays have approached it's caused me to think back on the past year. It has been really hard at times and really joyful at other times. I feel like I'm seeing glimmers of hope that we are approaching the end of the specific difficulties of the baby/toddler combination year. I know there will be other challenging seasons ahead but we are moving into the "little kid" years, which is bittersweet. I think there might be a separate post on this topic coming up soon...

I hope that you had a great weekend, and I wish all my (American) friends a happy Thanksgiving!

14 comments:

  1. How precious that your little guy's birthday is on Thanksgiving. I hope you have a fabulous Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, sounds like it was a great party! But too bad about Swede's gastrobug - no fun (for both of you!) :( I love your blue striped sweater in that photo with Swede.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spoke too soon... I DID pick up the bug from her and was up sick all Sunday night - So miserable! :-(

      Delete
  3. Looked like a fun birthday party! Oh man, Brian and I got hit by the bug last week too. Amelia was spared (so far), but now has a cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, It is the worst! I did pick it up from Swede on Sunday night, Ugh. But it missed J and Abel thankfully. I hope you and Brian are feeling better!

      Delete
  4. I didn't know there was a bug going around - but you're the 3rd person now who I've seen // heard mention something today. Which is a bummer right before Thanksgiving.

    I LOL'd at the maniacal picture. At first glance it did look like a very sweet, loving picture, but once I saw the face. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how many bloggers all over the country had a stomach bug this same weekend!
      Yes, Me too! At first I thought it was a great photo of me & Swede, but then I looked closer, Haha. I almost didn't share but it's too funny.

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday to Swede! It sounds like it was quite the celebration - she looks like the happiest child, ever!!! I'm with you on not needing that much frosting or marshmallows, either. Sorry to hear that Swede had a bug but glad she recovered quickly and it didn't spread elsewhere. Happy upcoming first birthday to Abel!!! I look forward to reading your thoughts on the "little kid" years. Happy Thankgiving to you and all of your loved ones!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily! I caught Swede's bug on Sunday night unfortunately. :-( But we are all recovered now. Happy TG to you too - Have fun in Pittsburg! :-)

      Delete
  6. Wow, birthdays and Thanksgiving all together! Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very busy week! The ONLY good thing about stomach flu is that it's over quickly. So we are all feeling better just in time for more celebrations tomorrow! :-)

      Delete
  7. Aww happy birthday to your two littles!! They are so cute! Hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to both! :) That sounds like a lovely party save for the little bout of stomach flu afterward. I'm glad to hear that no one else was sick! :) Oh my gosh, I can't believe Thanksgiving is tomorrow.. where has the time gone.. ? XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.