Wednesday, November 16, 2016

The time we went to Austria

I have often lamented that I wasn't blogging yet in my heyday of travel, but then I realized I can go ahead and share a few trips with you anyway, albeit much belatedly. I'm going to start with the last big vacation Jonathan and I took before Swede was born, when we did a weeklong road trip around Austria in June 2013.

We flew into Vienna in the late morning, rented a car and drove to our hotel near the Stadtpark, then headed out to explore. Unfortunately we arrived at the end of an extremely rainy month which had caused flooding all over the country and so the first couple days in Vienna were pretty cold and wet.

This is a clock! It's 1:50.

St. Stephen's Cathedral - I agree with Emily that the coolest thing about the church was the roof!

We stayed in Vienna the next day and spent the morning at the Schonbrunn Palace. We did an audio tour of some of the inside rooms, which were, needless to say, elaborate. And the extensive grounds were no less so.


In the afternoon we visited the Belvedere Museum. The most famous painting there is The Kiss by Klimt.


For dinner we had an incredible meal at a lovely little restaurant called Mini. I think Jonathan found this place on Trip Advisor and we were able to make a reservation before we left. It was a really neat place with a local feel which I think is often hard to find as a tourist.

On Day 3 we drove to Salzburg. Jonathan did all the driving and he really enjoyed the Autobahn. We checked into a quaint little hotel, the Goldener Hirsch, in the old town, and were upgraded into a very pink suite. 


In the afternoon we did the Sound of Music Tour, which I know sounds cheesy but was very fun and a good way to see many sites around Salzburg. Our tour guide had spent time in Boulder so we chatted with him about Colorado and he recommended a beer garden that we visited the next day. The tour met in Mirabell Gardens, which is featured in the Do-Re-Mi scene.

The famous gazebo.

This is the church where Maria and Captain Von Trapp are married.

The next day brought some sunshine! We took the funicular up to the Fortress Hohensalzburg. We took a tour through the fortress and enjoyed the views. 






In the afternoon we went to the beer garden. Both mornings in Salzburg we went to a neat place called 200 Grad for great coffee and breakfast.

On Day 5 we drove to Hallstatt and spent the morning wandering the quaint streets along the lake. We had a picnic lunch of bread and cheese and salami. 






Then we continued on to St. Wolfgang, another small lakeside town, where we enjoyed dinner on the water and stayed overnight.




The next day we drove to the Melk Abbey, then on to Krems. We wanted to visit Durnstein, but the road between Melk and Durnstein was flooded, so we had to go back onto the Autobahn and loop around to Krems.




Krems was a little disappointing. There was a cobblestone district but it wasn't as quaint as either Hallstatt or Saint Wolfgang, or even parts of Salzburg.

On Day 6 we drove back to Vienna. In the morning Jonathan visited some of the museums at the Hofburg Palace while I read in the rose garden nearby.


 In the afternoon we randomly decided to visit the funfair. We rode the giant wheel, which you will (probably not) recognize from the James Bond movie The Living Daylights, which happens to be my favorite James Bond movie, mostly because it's the silly and fun.


That's all! It was a really great trip. I didn't love Vienna, but I'm mostly over touring the big European capitals. I've visited many of them in the past and nowadays I'd rather see the smaller towns and the countryside which was my favorite part of this trip.

I'm linking up with Lauren, Van, Isabel, and Marcella for Wanderful Wednesday!

12 comments:

  1. What an amazing trip! I would love to do that Sound of Music tour (and no, it's not cheesy). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some friends of mine who had been to Salzburg recommended the Sound of Music tour and I'm so glad they did - I might not have done it but it was really a highlight of the trip!

      Delete
  2. I'd love to go on a Sound of Music tour in Salzburg! I've only recently seen the American version - we Germans prefer the Austrian original - but I absolutely fell in love with it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 3 year old daughter is obsessed with the soundtrack. :-)

      Delete
  3. What a great trip! I love this idea of still posting about trips (or things) pre-blog because I often feel that way too - if only I have been blogging when I went to xyz! I've been to Austria before (a few times), but I was quite young and I don't really remember much and the lack of photos from way back then doesn't help. This post makes me want to go back though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple more trips I'm going to do, but I can really only go back to when I got my first iPhone in late 2011. It's crazy how few photos I took before that!

      Delete
  4. You look so happy in all these photos! I would love to do a Sound of Music tour - that church looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy! :-) It was a really fun trip.

      Delete
  5. So cool! It reminds me of my own trip to Austria two months ago. we visited Vienna, Melk and other small cities on the river. I went to Salzburg and Innsbruck many years ago. I enjoyed my second visit more than the first one. Hope to visit the country again. #wanderfulwednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we could have extended our trip a few more days to see Innsbruck... I guess we'll just have to go back another time!

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for the shoutout!!! I absolutely loved reading all these details of your visit. Your pictures are stunning. Now I wish even more that I had gotten out to Salzburg and some of the other surrounding towns. Bummer about all the floods but it definitely looks like you made up for it in other ways!!! I've heard the Sound of Music tour is wonderful! I watched the movie on the plane ride home and even without visiting Salzburg, the story resonated even more with me than before. I can imagine a lot of folks enjoy driving on the Autobahn! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you, my "big" travel adventures occurred before my blogging years. I should share more of them too. I've been to Interlaken, but that is the only city in Austria that I visited. I enjoyed all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.