Thursday, December 8, 2016

Coffee Date #7

Oh, Hey! Let's have a coffee date. [It's actually tea in the cup below, and I abandoned the book after 75 pages, because apparently I don't "get" Swedish people, which is ironic since I have a daughter nicknamed Swede, but the cookies were good.]


I was planning to do a post earlier this week about how last weekend was really great. It was the perfect blend of fun and relaxing. The kids were funny and sweet and - this is probably the most important factor - cooperative. Jonathan and I went on a official dinner date at our favorite restaurant. Finally I had a chance to wear my fabulous new red dress! The food was delicious and overall we had a really lovely time. On Saturday I ran six miles, and on Sunday we went to church. Swede and I made Christmas M&M cookies and helped decorate my parents' Christmas tree. The kids napped and I drank Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride tea with a book. It was everyday wonderful in the way that you always hope life will be.


Is this the face of someone who's been sneaking cookie dough while I wasn't looking?

And then on Sunday afternoon I flew up to Denver and visited with my friend Tyffani and her adorable baby Elliott. We went to dinner at Torchy's Tacos (where I indulged in a fried chicken and queso version aka "The Trailer Park"). This was all part of the really great weekend but it meant that I didn't have a chance to write up a post on Sunday night. And then on Monday I had the longest business day of meetings at the office before flying back home on the late flight. Since then I have felt scatter-brained and hectic and edgy and very tired.

Drinks at Torchy's

That long-winded story pretty sums up how I feel lately, which is: alternating between a) peaceful and content and that I have all my ducks in a row, and b) that I'm failing in pretty much every aspect of life and that I will never again catch up at work or make it through a morning with the kids without losing my patience.

In other news: I made plans last summer to go visit and run a half marathon with my friends Jill and Kelly in Florida at the end of January. Now that it's almost here I've realized how foolish it was to think that both kids would be easier for Jonathan (or anyone) to handle solo by then. So I'm thinking about bringing Swede along for our first girls adventure weekend. I know everyone travels with kids, but I haven't yet and it makes me extremely nervous. But I think it could be really fun. My friend Kelly has two little girls aged (almost) three and five - I know Swede would love playing with them. And I'd like to run a flat course in warm weather at zero elevation. And I'd love to see my friends and do another race together. We met up for the Savannah Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon in November 2012 and then Jill came to visit Durango for the Steamworks Half Marathon in June 2015. Please convince I can handle the travel!

At the Savannah Rock 'n' Roll in 2012

Swede is so into all things Christmas this year - It's everything that I hoped it would be and more. She loves to examine all the ornaments on the Christmas tree and sing "O Christmas Tree" together. She likes the Grinch and Merry Christmas Charlie Brown, and you should have seen her face light up when we told her there's a Peppa Christmas episode on tomorrow. We're doing an Advent calendar (with M&Ms) and my mom is doing one with fun little toys. We've been baking (probably too many) Christmas cookies, and reading Christmas books every night, and we're doing a Polar Express train ride next weekend. Abel's contribution to the Christmas spirit is that he isn't old enough to have any say regarding his wardrobe so I've gone a little overboard with festive outfits.

Both kids are obsessed with this new ornament



I have some ideas for blog posts that I can't quite seem to get written! So it's been mostly chit-chat and recaps lately. Is anyone interested in hearing about the following:
     - Day in the Life: I think these glimpses in everyday life are fascinating but I can never remember to keep track and take photos throughout the day, or I keep waiting for a perfect and/or typical day, which, I need to face the facts here, is never going to happen.
     - Thoughts on One Year with Two Kids
     - Pros and Cons of Working from Home
     - The Planner Post: I love Sarah's posts on planning and organization, I've been using the Erin Condren Life Planner for several years and my 2017 version just arrived!
     - The Time We Went To Paris/Amsterdam: Did you like The Time We Went to Austria? I might do similar posts on Paris and Amsterdam but I don't have enough photos from any travel before 2012.

I think that's all for now! What would you tell me if we were having coffee?

26 comments:

  1. Umm, I would like to read all those posts you have ideas for! I LOVE day in the life posts. They are some of my most favourite to read. Probably because I'm nosy and like to see how other people live and manage their days/time ;)

    Too bad about that book - it looks cute! Is it quirky? I'm realizing that I can't always do quirky, it just rubs me the wrong way and I get annoyed too easily.

    I too have days where I'm like, Wow, I am killing it in the mother/wife/life department, and then days where I'm overwhelmed and tired and wonder what the heck I'm doing. It's normal, as is beating ourselves up over it.

    You've never travelled with either of your kids yet? I feel like you have for some reason, haha! You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love day in the life posts too but they are so hard to write!
      The book... Very quirky. I just didn't connect with the characters. In a bit of reading slump right now, I haven't finished a single book yet in December.
      I know that I'm being a baby about travelling with Swede but I have a very low threshold for hassle. Unfortunately the things that are a hassle are often the most rewarding as well!

      Delete
  2. Oh I bet Christmas time is so fun with two little ones now. I'm glad it's all you hoped it would be.

    I'd be interested in travel posts. I know I have vacations I'd like to write about but they were before the time of digital cameras so it would be hard to include pictures and who wants to read a long travel recap with out photos?...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so crazy how few photos I have from travel prior to my digital camera & even more so before my iPhone. I travelled all around Europe during and right after college but I have hardly any photos from then which is a little disappointing!

      Delete
  3. I love that tea too! And what a great weekend :) I think how you are feeling is how we all feel! One day I am all "I got this" and the next I want to lose it every minute.
    Take her on your trip!! You can do it and she will surprise you I am sure, it is easier travelling with kids than you think. Well with one, I cannot speak with two yet!
    Is Christmas not the best with the girls this year? I agree it is so sun and everything I always wanted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking care of little kids is such an emotional roller coaster. I think that their intense emotions rub off.
      I think my biggest anxiety about travel is lugging the car seat through the airport!
      Christmas is really so much fun this year. I can't wait until the little ones can join in too in years to come.

      Delete
  4. I've traveled with Amelia solo three times now and you could easily do it! The last flight was the worst as she had just started walking, but I am sure you could distract Swede pretty easily on the flight. Don't be scared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm the least worried about the flights so much as the logistics of travelling with the car seat, having a layover in Denver, and will she sleep in an unfamiliar bed I know I should just do it - We can't never go anywhere until they are grown up!

      Delete
  5. Aww that sounds like a fun time with Swede and Mommy - would someone watch her while you're actually running? I say go for it!! :) I definitely know how you feel - it can be so hard to balance everything in life, especially with small children (and especially with your travel for work, I'm sure!) I just try to take it one day at a time.
    I have a day in the life post drafted but I need to add photos to it. I'm hoping to get it done today or next week though!!! I love those posts on others' blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend Kelly's husband would watch the kids during the race - Bravo to him to taking on three little girls but I think they'll have fun playing together.
      Can't wait to read your DITL post, I'm really going to try to get one out before Chrstmas.
      One day at a time. One MOMENT at a time. A good strategy.

      Delete
  6. I love that ornament!!! So cute. And why are planners so expensive? I've been looking at finally getting one and...whoa!$$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost didn't get another Erin Condren this year because $$$! But I had $25 off plus 20% off on Black Friday so I managed to justify it one more year. ;-)

      Delete
  7. I love when kids are at the age where they're really digging all things Christmas. Sounds like Swede is there!

    I love Day in the Life, planner posts, and travel posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas has been so fun with her this year. Looking forward to when Abel can join in!
      I will try to get some of these other posts written...

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I will try to get my act together and actually write some of them! :-)

      Delete
  9. I would love to see a post on the pros // cons of working from home.

    YOU CAN DEFINITELY MANAGE TRAVEL WITH SWEDE! I think snacks would be KEY - and maybe explaining what's going on & how routines might be thrown off, but that it's OKAY, just need to be calm, and use your words, if that's something you thought would sink in & be useful.

    I would tell you over coffee that I too alternate between being calm & having my shit together, and running around feeling like shit exploded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels that I'm careering wildly between completely organized and utter chaos. :-)
      I finally decided this weekend that I will take Swede with me, but am going to start now laying the groundwork for what to expect, I think that will be the most important thing so it's not too overwhelming.

      Delete
  10. I definitely waver between those same two feelings - things are great and wonderful! and then... things are crazy and hectic! I can't catch up! I think it comes with the territory of being working mamas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pendulum swings back and forth between the two so fast! It's all such a delicate balance that if one thing is off it all goes haywire!

      Delete
  11. I'm always somewhere between chaos/crazy and happy/content. I think that, as a mother, the two go hand in hand all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'm always one or the other, It's either perfect or awful, Haha - Never in between. Sigh... Life!

      Delete
  12. Love catching up like this! Running six miles sounds so good. I am craving longer distances but it's just not gonna happen until post baby #2.

    I can so relate, as you already mentioned on my blog about falling apart all the time. I feel like I am in constant juxtaposition between feeling like the house is finally clean & I am not totally disorganized to it literally being undone in two minutes and it looks like I never cleaned a day in my life. The struggle is real.

    PLEASE blog about one year with two kids. I am seriously having anxiety about our second baby-to-be. Send all the help, advice, and realistic wisdom please.

    I think traveling with Swede at this age would be fine. I have flown with Claire over 10 times now (like 10+ separate flights, some of those being the same trips). She usually did way better than I thought she would and my anxiety about it was usually the worst part. But I still ALWAYS get anxious about traveling with her. This past time with super long flights from HI to CO and back, I was much less worried about "other people" and what they thought. I knew she was going to get fussy just because of how long the flights were, but it was fine. Really! Maybe I'll get my butt in gear and write a post about travel tips with babies/toddlers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if my post on two kids couldn't be boiled down to: It's hard, but also wonderful. But that is one that I definitely want to write (sooner than later, it's already almost 1 year + 1 month in!) because I want to capture/remember my perspective. I remember that I was really nervous before Abel was born, and rightly so, Haha, It is hard! But also wonderful. The first few months honestly are not as hard as now - The challenge then is tiredness because newborn sleep vs now both kids are very active but not old enough to play together.

      My biggest concern with travelling is that Swede is very reserved/cautious/anxious with new situations/people so I worry that the crowded chaos of the whole airport experience would be overwhelming to her plus will she sleep in an unfamiliar place... But she does need new experiences if she's ever going to get better at them, and I need to stop not doing things because fear of hassle.

      Delete
  13. I'm into all of those posts, especially life with two kids. I don't know if I want to do this all over again, but I'd be interested to hear your perspective. That weekend sounds so perfect. Date night! That's awesome. Also, the trip sounds like a good idea. At least you'd be with people who understand little kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you want to do it again!!! But I'll ask you again in a year... I'm sure that wouldn't have been my answer two months in, Haha.
      I agree that definitely a perk of going with Swede is that my friends have little girls so I know she'll have fun too.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.