Monday, December 19, 2016

Currently - December 2016

Hey Friends! It's time for the last "Currently" of 2016. Here's what I've been...

Listening To: My favorite Christmas albums by She & Him, Michel Buble, and Rend Collective. I'm also enjoying the latest album by The Head and the Heart.

Watching: My favorite Christmas movies - Elf, White Christmas, and The Family Stone - And I started the new season of Mozart in the Jungle.

Reading: I had a slow start to December but am currently enjoying both To the Bright Edge of the World by Eowyn Ivey, and Loving My Actual Life by Alexandra Kuykendall.



Feeling: That my efforts towards mindfulness and gratitude are paying off. I've been really focused on this the past couple weeks and I feel like I am noticing a shift in perspective for the better.


Trying: To get up before the kids to work out, shower, and hopefully have a little coffee and Bible study time. This means 5 a.m. It feel so good when it happens, but sometimes the alarm is just too early.


Craving: A cure for the common cold.

Wearing: Nothing new, because I'm nearing the end of two successful months of a not-buying-any clothes resolution. The plan is to continue for another four months then do a little summer shopping in May. The MVP of my winter wardrobe is the Star Valley Fleece Wrap from Athleta.

Loving: The kids. Of course I always love the kids but right now specifically: I love Swede's joy and delight in the Christmas season, and I love watching Abel discover and learn something new every day.

Swede gave Santa a hug and asked for a candy cane

Trying to figure out Legos without letting go of his beloved blankie and tennis ball

Not Loving: Super disappointing news last week that the sale of our old house fell through. It was supposed to close on January 3rd but now we're back to square one (and continuing to pay two mortgages) until another offer comes along. This also means that I'm not going to Florida in January as planned - Plane tickets are just too expensive!

Praying For: Patience. Always, always, always.

Looking Forward To: All the Christmas festivities this weekend!

Eating: All the Christmas cookies! So far we've made: Molasses Sugar Cookies, Christmas M&M Cookies, Gingerbread Men, Oatmeal Toffee Cookies, and festively sprinkled donuts. I still want to do a batch of traditional frosted sugar cookies with Swede when I'm off work on Friday.


Planning: 2017! I love this season of looking back on the past year and looking ahead to the next year.

What's your favorite Christmas... Song? Movie? Cookie?

16 comments:

  1. Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about the house. How long has it been on the market?

    On a positive note... yum for all those cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only since November when we moved into our new house so not too long and I know this isn't the best time of the year to sell but... Still hoping it moves quickly enough in the new year!

      Delete
  2. So many cookies, I'm jealous! That stinks that the offer fell through. I hope you find another buyer quickly. Ellie is starting to interact more and I think next Christmas when she is more interested will be so fun. I'm glad Swede is enjoying all things Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first Christmas with a newborn is special but they definitely don't know what's going on! Every year has been more fun with Swede.

      Delete
  3. I need to commit to no new clothes for Jan/Feb/most of March. We have a cruise at the end of April and I'm sure I'll buy some stuff for that.

    Good thoughts for a new, better offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it's been a relief to not be doing any clothes shopping lately, I didn't realize how much of my time/energy was going into it... Hoping to make it less of hobby going forward and just buy as needed.

      Delete
  4. I am seriously craving a cookie now-- oatmeal toffee sound really good (& like something my super picky husband might actually like, haha). What bible study are you doing? I'd like to try and start one in the new year. My husband keeps asking me to start watching Mozart because we've heard so many good things about it, but I keep putting it off for some reason. Is it similar at all to anything else? I hope the next few weeks bring good news for your old house & will pray it sells soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My church includes a daily Bible study in the bulletin each week that relates to the sermon series going on so I've usually been doing that. I wouldn't mind finding something else too though, I've heard good things about She Reads Truth.
      I really liked the first two Mozart seasons but the third has been a little slow so far.

      Delete
  5. I love Rend Collective! And I love White Christmas :) it's my favorite Christmas movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered Rend Collective through church this year and they are my favorite right now!
      I have to admit some of the dance scenes in White Christmas go on a little long but overall it's fabulous.

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry your home sale fell through :( the house-selling process can be so fickle, and I dread ever doing it again. BUT, I hope you're letting that Christmas spirit consume all the frustration instead! Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first heard about the house I was like, "This is going to ruin Christmas!" But no - It is what it is and being mad about it won't help, so I've managed to let go and trust it'll work out in time.

      Delete
  7. I love Swede's Santa request. And those cookies look great. I've only managed to bake banana bread muffins this season - and that was only egged on by old bananas, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My go-to for old bananas is to freeze them for smoothie use later, but my husband (and Swede) would never turn down banana bread. That is a healthier baking project to plan for the new year - We are getting cookie'd out!

      Delete
  8. WAY to go for getting up before the kids to get your "you" time! I used to do this before C got up at an ungodly hour and it literally changed my entire day and life for the time I could do it. But I know it's not easy! If I wasn't pregnant and wanting all the sleep I can get, I think I'd be down to get up at 5 and have some time to myself too.

    I'm so glad you recommended that book. And thanks for linking the Goodreads right to it!

    Swede is adorable in that outfit/pajamas? I just love Christmas clothes for kids :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could Abel to sleep in until Swede's 7 am wakeup but 6-6:30 is the best we can get, so 5 am it is! It really makes my day so much better if I can get that time to myself before the kids are up. The first couple days are the worst but hoping to make it a habit in 2017.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.