Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Reading Roundup - November 2016

Happy Book Day, Friends! Here's what I read last month:

1) The Rose and the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh. 3/5 stars. This is the sequel to The Wrath and the Dawn, a retelling of Arabian Nights, which I read in October. I didn't like this one as much as the original. There's more war and magic and less falling-in-love, but it was still fun.



2) Be Frank With Me by Julia Claiborne Johnson. 4/5 stars. I really enjoyed this one. But you have to like precocious children, which I know isn't everyone's cup of tea. The main character, Alice, spends a year living with a reclusive literary legend (think J.J. Salinger but female) and her eccentric nine-year-old son Frank while his mother writes a new book.



3) Finding Fraser by K.C. Dyer. 3/5 stars. This book is about a super-fan of the Outlander series who heads to Scotland after a divorce and a dead-end career in search of a her own Jamie. I agree with other reviews that the main character is painfully naive. Overall it was silly yet fun, but I wouldn't recommend it if you haven't read at least the first couple Outlander books.



4) A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny. 4/5 stars. This is the fourth installment in the Chief Inspector Armande Gamche mystery series set in Quebec, and it might be my favorite one so far. It's set at an isolated and luxurious hotel near the quaint small town of Three Pines (where the other books are set) and involves complicated long-held family secrets that become slowly unraveled.



5) The Guineveres by Sarah Domet. 2/5 stars. This book didn't do it for me. It's about four teenage girls named Guinevere growing up at a convent school in the (I think, because the book never specifies the date) Vietnam era. Their world is thrown into upheaval when four comatose soldiers arrive at the convent infirmary.



6) The Little While Horse by Elizabeth Goudge. 4/5 stars. This is a charming and old-fashioned children's story about thirteen-year-old Maria Merryweather who arrives at Moonacre Manor and sets to rights an ancient curse. I think it deserves to be as well known and loved and The Secret Garden or The Wizard of Oz.



As usual I'm linking up with Steph and Jana for Show Us Your Books. I can't wait to see what everyone else has been reading lately!

19 comments:

  1. aw i'm sad you didn't love the rose and the dagger as much!
    The Guineveres is on my kindle and i keep seeing horrible reviews and i just want to skip it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was still good, I finished it in 2 days, but not AS good. You should definitely still read it. But yeah, I'd skip The Guineveres.

      Delete
  2. I need to read more books. Sigh. I used to be a book reviewer, and now I don't read at all - well, rarely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always surprised at how many books I've read each month despite life feeling so hectic, I guess a little time every night adds up!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed Be Frank with Me quite a bit. I also read my first Inspector Gamache book last month and I'm looking forward to continuing the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked Be Frank With Me! I thought it was sweet and funny and sad. I wonder what Alice will do next...

      Delete
  4. I need to get back on the Inspector Gamache train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nichol improves... I promise! And she's not in #4 at all.

      Delete
  5. Finding Fraser sounds like a fun read! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Definitely a fun read for Outlander fans!

      Delete
  6. I'm adding Finding Fraser to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take it you like Outlander? I loved the first couple books but I thought the plot split into too many pieces in the later books and lost interest in many of side characters.

      Delete
  7. I haven't heard of any of these! I'm impressed with how much you read in a month though! Gives me hope that two kids doesn't mean I won't have time to read ever ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed with how much I read in a month too! I'm always surprised when I put these posts together. I don't watch much TV though.
      I'm sorry I wasn't able to do the book club this month but my library didn't have it!

      Delete
  8. So you already know how I feel about Louise Penny - Book 4 was so good! 5 and 6 are sort of one book split into two - and they are also excellent :) Little White Horse sounds like a book I'd like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that you told me #4 was really good and I completely agree! I'm glad there are so many more to look forward to.

      Delete
  9. I need to get on this Louise Penny bandwagon. I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't read her books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently read The Rose and the Dagger and definitely agree with you on wishing there was a bit more of the romance in the second book. I was bummed I didn't read the books back to back, because I had forgot a lot of how the first one ended and spent the first little bit of the second book slightly confused. I have the first book of that Penny series on hold and I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm on the wait list for the first Gamache book. Hopefully I like it enough to keep going!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.