Wednesday, January 4, 2017

2017 Goals

Hey Friends! I'm linking up with Kristen and Gretchen for What's New With You to talk about my goals for 2017. I have always loved the fresh start feeling of a new year, but I also love that I'm less obsessed than I have been in previous years with a dozen do-or-die resolutions in every aspect of life.

Spending time with my little ones is pretty darn important - This year and every year!
PS: Abe's cute bandana bib is from Melissa's Etsy shop Black River Boutique.

My only traditional goal this year is that I'd like to PR the half marathon. My current PR is 1:49:55 from October 2012, so it's been a while, but I am excited for a real year of running, aka not being pregnant or recovering from being pregnant, for the first time in four years.

Something else that I've been thinking about recently is trying to be more careful with my budget. Mostly to get out of the habit of making random impulse purchases without much thought other than "Ooh, I want this!" I feel like there are better uses for my discretionary income, specifically to save more and to give more. This is one reason I'm two months into a six month resolution to not buy any new clothes, but I also want to give more consideration to other purchases.

Other random goals: 1) To read one non-fiction book per month, but that not set in stone. 2) To continue previously successful resolutions to floss my teeth every day, keep the line-a-day journal, and to go to church regularly. 3) To get outside more - We've been feeling a little cabin-feverish lately!

I have been snowshoeing with Abe but need to get outside with Swede too.

Mostly - The biggest change that I want to make in 2017 is to focus on mindfulness. To be really present in each moment of this one and only life. To single-task instead of constantly multi-tasking, which I know is less efficient. To stop running through the to-do list for the rest of the day over and over in my mind. To spend less time on my phone - I'm going to download the Moment app to my new phone to track usage. I want to notice and appreciate the beauty of every day life rather than losing time in a wash of inattention.

If I have a word for the year I think that's it's REST. That's more a mental attitude than actually doing less or sitting around more. I just want more peace and contentment and less anxiety and tension. This verse from Jeremiah has been on my mind lately.


I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to keep track or stay accountable to these goals. Maybe a monthly check-in post... We'll see!

I wish you all a new year filled with peace and joy.

25 comments:

  1. These are some awesome goals for the new year! And totally attainable! Your children are extremely adorable, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not what sure which is a bigger challenge for me - To be mindful or to stop the mindless spending. Although I suppose if I conquered the former the latter would take care of itself!

      Delete
  2. good luck with PRing your half! my last PR was from 2012 as well, and i am reeeeallly hoping i am able to beat it this year, but we'll see. as of right now, nope. haha. i am trying to be better with spending as well, i am doing well with my no shopping for clothes and such, but we still spend money on other things that we could cut back on. always room for improvement i think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2012 was a speedy year! I got the PR then was like, OK, Let's have a baby. ;-)
      I'm the same now - Clothes shopping is under control but the other random purchases is still an issue.

      Delete
  3. For me, one of the easiest things to do to cut impulse spending was to make a list of "could buy" - things I was on the hunt for. But I couldn't buy outside of that. So, a new end table? A-Okay, a new lamp? Nope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good suggestion. I've done that before with clothes & big purchases but my struggle is with random small this and that. $10 here and there adds up!

      Delete
  4. I'm working on embracing the moment this year and being more satisfied with where I am now and not worrying about the past or the future. I love that verse...it kind of gave me goosebumps because it speaks to something very specific happening in my life right now. Wishing you all the best in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right Here, Right Now! That's one of my mantras. And also, "You'll Get There When You Get There."
      I love that the verse gave you goosebumps!

      Delete
  5. I love these goals! I really need to work on more mindfulness myself. But the Type A person in me would add it to my to-do list... hah! But seriously, I may have to check out that app. I need to be on my devices and phone for my job(s) BUT I don't need to be checking as frequently. My attention span has gone way down.

    Looking forward to following along in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindfulness is SUCH a challenge for me. I always skipping ahead in my mind from what I'm actually doing to what I'm going to do next. LOL about adding it to the to-do list, I would totally do that too! I have been trying to figure out a way to "grade" myself on mindfulness, Haha!

      Delete
  6. Getting outside more is an awesome goal...and reminds me I haven't been out since 8 a.m. this morning.

    I'm also trying to be less wifty with my spending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I have not been successful at getting outside more, I've just got to bundle everyone up in snowsuits and GO!

      Delete
  7. I'm not a huge shopper, but definitely fall into the trap of thinking, this is a good deal, and I like it, so I need it. Which definitely is usually not the case! I love your idea of 'rest' being your word for the year and that verse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very nearly busted my no-shopping resolution last week with some super deal temptation, It's so hard to let a great deal go by, but I didn't *really* need it.

      Delete
  8. Great goals! One of mine is also to PR in the half. Good luck to both of us :)

    Thanks for joining our linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goal at some point is to PR my half marathon and go under 1:50! But that's not for a while yet :) That is a great goal! I also want rest this year and hope to focus on prayer and just being quiet sometimes instead of always running around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like we are all always trying to do more, to do better, but I'm realizing that less IS more, and I feel like God is calling me to stop trying so hard all the time (because that kinda like saying HE can't handle it) and just BE.

      Delete
  10. Rest was up there with my words for the year. Looking forward to seeing how the year goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest, Contentment - I love that this is our focus this year. :-)

      Delete
  11. Awesome goals! I am focusing more on impulse purchases too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one who struggles with the random impulse buy!

      Delete
  12. Great goals! I'm working on mindfulness this year as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a struggle for me sometimes! My mantras are: Right Here Right Now, and You'll Get There When You Get There.

      Delete
  13. These are awesome goals! I found that using Kristen's linkup to check in monthly worked well for me! :) I'll be excited to see your progress. I want to be outside more in 2017, but am not outdoorsy. We shall see how that goes. :) I am still working on my full goals and I think I am picking a word this year, which I don't usually. I like rest, and also for your goal of one non-fiction per month. Even if it's not hard and fast, sounds like a good goal. I hope to be more diverse with my reading this year! :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.