Tuesday, January 31, 2017

2017: January Check-in

Hey Friends! I'm going to try a new thing this year - To check in monthly regarding my 2017 Goals. [As opposed to my typical approach to announce them in January never to be mentioned again.] I've identified my four major goals as: Exercise, Mood, Books, and Budget. Here's how things went in January...

But first, because every post needs a photo of Swede, and this also goes along with the word of the year:


Exercise

My official goal for 2017 is to PR the half marathon, but aside from that I like to exercise most days to be healthy and to feel like my best self. I try to run 3x/week and do 21 Day Fix workouts 3x/week. I haven't started officially training for a half marathon yet but I've definitely started pre-training by adding in some longer/faster/hillier runs. In January - I ran 53 miles and did 11 21DF workouts.

Mood

This is the hardest area to measure progress. My goal is to be more mindful, to be more present, to single-task, to spend less time on my phone. The word of the year is REST. 

Some days are good - I feel focused yet relaxed, efficient and productive at work, present and engaged with the kids, at peace with life in general. Other days are less good - I feel scatter-brained, anxious, tense, irritable... You get the idea. 

I do feel like I'm more aware when I'm not being mindful, even though I can't always manage to turn around a bad day once I'm deep in it, so that might be a step in the right direction. I downloaded the Moment app to track my phone use and it's about an hour per day - I'd like this to be closer to 30 minutes.


Books

I decided to try to read one non-fiction book per month this year. In 2016 - which I only just now went back to figure out - I read seven non-fiction books. This month I read Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives by Gretchen Rubin. My next few non-fiction selections are below... You may notice a trend.


Budget

My goals here are a) Don't buy any clothes for myself until May, and b) Be more careful with random discretionary spending. I have been successful at (a) for three months now, which is probably a record. For (b) - I kept track of things I bought that we didn't exactly need:

For the kids - It's too easy to buy things for the kids with the justification that it's not for ME, and also I have the absurd idea that someday I'll find the perfect toy which will occupy a 14-month-old for more than five minutes - I bought: 1) a Kidoozie Funtime Tractor, 2) a Little People Sounds & Surprises Dollhouse, 3) a DVD of Beauty & the Beast, and 4) new clothes from Carters: a 5-pack of onsies for Abel and two pairs of leggings for Swede. 


For myself I bought: 1) the Bloom Daily Planner pad I mentioned in my January Favorites last week, and 2) all the Danish books.

Jonathan and I also spent a little time reviewing and updating our monthly budget, and I want try a little harder to stay within those parameters.

Another couple random goals/projects I have going on this year is I've been updating the Food tab here on the blog with our weekly meal plan. I'm also trying to send more paper mail - It's so fun to get things in the mail! So I'm doing a pen pal project in February with Stephanie and Alexandra.

That's all! Did you make any goals for 2017? How is it going so far?

13 comments:

  1. Oh, awesome progress so far!! :) I really want to read all of those Danish books too! Let me know how they are! :) So far, we have basically only been moving. Pre-crazy move portion we did a lot of yoga which is great. Right now moving is our exercise... because dang we have a lot of stuff! & those loads up and down stairs, etc. etc. are all we have time for in a day! Hoping to be done by the end of the night tonight. Good job keeping track of your spending. I'm not great at that, but it seems like a good goal. Using YNAB has been good so far though! :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are the one who got me interested in the hygge concept from seeing books that you added to GoodReads. I love the focus on simplicity and comfort.
      Moving is such good exercise! Except that's it's awful! I would rather go for a run or do yoga any day.

      Delete
  2. I love all of these goals. I really need to cut back down on my phone time. I hadn't heard of that app but it sounds so cool. I want to download it... I'm sure I won't like the results though! Ha!

    I also need to focus more on my budget this year and needless spending, especially with clothes and random stuff.

    Good luck - you are off to a great start. And I'm excited about our Pen Pal project! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to be more conscious not to pick up my phone any time there's a five minute pause in life but it's such a difficult habit to break!
      Yay for Pen Pals! :-)

      Delete
  3. I have a few of those Hygge books on my TBR list this year too - what a fascinating concept and I can't wait to learn more about it! Way to go with the budget!! I think these types of posts are a great way to check in with your goals and really remind yourself of what you're working towards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like the hygge concept is really popular right now, I'm interested to learn more, I really like the focus on simplicity and comfort. Jonathan calls me the Queen of Cozy so it seems right up my alley. :-)

      Delete
  4. I don't make monthly goals. I know, that sounds lazy...lol.

    I love the idea of the pen pal project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should join the pen pal group for March! It's kinda like the one you do for Christmas cards except all year. You can do it one month and then skip the next. It's via a FB group - Let me know if you want to join and I can send you an invite.

      Delete
  5. I'm loving my non-goal goals! I have the Little Book of Hygge on my list- I'm so intrigued. Have you made any changes based on the books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been reading it a little bit at a time. I really like the emphasis on simple pleasures and taking the time to connect with other people. I don't feel like I've made any huge changes yet other than to savor my morning coffee and my favorite cozy socks a little bit more. :-)

      Delete
  6. I'm not making monthly goals right now because obviously it's just about survival right now haha!! ;) These are good goals. I'm intrigued by the app tracking phone usage. I can't download something like that right now, I know I would be disgusted with the amount of time I spend on my phone, but sometimes it's the easiest thing to do when I'm nursing. Maybe one day in the future...ha! I hope you blog about those Danish books once you've read them. And yay for pen pals! Sounds really fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all bets are off when you're nursing - It is SO nice to have a phone then!
      The first Hygge book I started is talking about similar concepts in other countries and it says that in Canada it's called "hominess" aka community, warmth, togetherness, authenticity, etc - Is this a thing?

      Delete
    2. Haha if it is, I'm out of the loop! ;)

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.