But I'm getting ahead of myself - My goal for 2017 is to PR the half marathon. My current PR is 1:49:55 from the Denver Rock 'n' Roll in October 2012. After which I said, "OK - Now I'm ready to have a baby!" And I've spent the four years since either pregnant or getting back in shape after being pregnant. So now I'm excited and ready for a year when I can (hopefully) get faster and stronger.
I've never worked with a coach before, but Rebekah from Run Away from Zombies kindly offered to build me a training plan! She is a RRCA certified coach and has recently started offering personalized training plans. You should check out her blog which is packed with great running advice. I'm really excited to get started with this plan leading up to my first half marathon of the year in May or June.
Here's what I have on the schedule:
1) MAYBE - Shiprock Half Marathon, May 13th: This is a new-to-me race that I'd like to do it with my friend Chesleigh, but we haven't registered yet. It's a beautiful-scenery-but-no-crowd-support race (which is pretty much true of all the races on this list) near Shiprock, New Mexico. [So named due to a large rock that looks like, you guessed it, a ship - See below.]
2) Steamworks Half Marathon, June 10th. A classic. I've done this race five times. Usually with my dad and/or mom. It's a bit of a family tradition. Here is the race report from last year.
3) Thirsty 13 Half Marathon, August 26th . I think this race is my best chance at the PR. It's a newer local race that I've done twice, in 2014 and 2016. The course includes some nice downhill sections which I can do well on if adequately prepared.
4) MAYBE: My dad is trying to talk me into the Imogene Pass Run, a 17-mile trail race from Ouray to Telluride, on September 9th. I'm not sure since I won't do be doing much trail running this year, but he'll probably convince me because FOMO...
5) TBD. I want to do another half marathon in October but I don't know which one. I'd love to do The Other Half in Moab but I'm not sure about the travel logistics. The Durango Double, which is a trail half marathon on Saturday and a road half marathon on Sunday, is October 7-8. The Denver Rock 'n' Roll is October 15th. Or - Not a half marathon, but the Hot Chocolate 15K has always looked like fun. I'd have to try to coordinate either of those around a work trip. We'll see...
That's all! When I lived in Denver there were so many race options every single weekend that it was hard to narrow it down to 8-10 per year, but nowadays 4-5 seems more reasonable.
Runners! Do you have your race schedule planned out for 2017 or do you play it by ear? What's the most races you've done in a single year?