Tuesday, January 17, 2017

2017 Race Calendar

Hey Friends! Today I'm going to share with you my race calendar for 2017. I am definitely one of those people who likes to make plans really, really far in advance. For example - I've already started thinking about my 2018 race calendar, and it might have a marathon on it!

But I'm getting ahead of myself - My goal for 2017 is to PR the half marathon. My current PR is 1:49:55 from the Denver Rock 'n' Roll in October 2012. After which I said, "OK - Now I'm ready to have a baby!" And I've spent the four years since either pregnant or getting back in shape after being pregnant. So now I'm excited and ready for a year when I can (hopefully) get faster and stronger.

I've never worked with a coach before, but Rebekah from Run Away from Zombies kindly offered to build me a training plan! She is a RRCA certified coach and has recently started offering personalized training plans. You should check out her blog which is packed with great running advice. I'm really excited to get started with this plan leading up to my first half marathon of the year in May or June.



Here's what I have on the schedule:

1) MAYBE - Shiprock Half Marathon, May 13th: This is a new-to-me race that I'd like to do it with my friend Chesleigh, but we haven't registered yet. It's a beautiful-scenery-but-no-crowd-support race (which is pretty much true of all the races on this list) near Shiprock, New Mexico. [So named due to a large rock that looks like, you guessed it, a ship - See below.]



2) Steamworks Half Marathon, June 10th. A classic. I've done this race five times. Usually with my dad and/or mom. It's a bit of a family tradition. Here is the race report from last year.

3) Thirsty 13 Half Marathon, August 26th . I think this race is my best chance at the PR. It's a newer local race that I've done twice, in 2014 and 2016. The course includes some nice downhill sections which I can do well on if adequately prepared.

4) MAYBE: My dad is trying to talk me into the Imogene Pass Run, a 17-mile trail race from Ouray to Telluride, on September 9th. I'm not sure since I won't do be doing much trail running this year, but he'll probably convince me because FOMO...



5) TBD. I want to do another half marathon in October but I don't know which one. I'd love to do The Other Half in Moab but I'm not sure about the travel logistics. The Durango Double, which is a trail half marathon on Saturday and a road half marathon on Sunday, is October 7-8. The Denver Rock 'n' Roll is October 15th. Or - Not a half marathon, but the Hot Chocolate 15K has always looked like fun. I'd have to try to coordinate either of those around a work trip. We'll see...

That's all! When I lived in Denver there were so many race options every single weekend that it was hard to narrow it down to 8-10 per year, but nowadays 4-5 seems more reasonable.

Runners! Do you have your race schedule planned out for 2017 or do you play it by ear? What's the most races you've done in a single year?

15 comments:

  1. You have a great year ahead! I want to PR too but am not sure I have the distance to do so yet, but hopefully by summer :)
    I plan out a few races but leave space for last minute ones etc too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely don't have the speed yet for a PR but hopefully by the summer for us both!

      Delete
  2. I have races "planned out in my head" that I want to do but as far as actually committing to register for them, I only officially have 2 and they are both this Spring. Unless it's a Disney race, I have a hard time planning that far in advance> In fact, I don't think I've ever registered for a race before the "price increase"..lol

    So fun that you are thinking of doing a few with your dad. I love races that are a family tradition. Looks like your races offer some great scenery out that way. Are you in Boulder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to register before the price increase, I hate having to pay extra. Although there's been several times that I haven't done the race at all, so I'm probably better off overall not signing up until it's for sure. I am going to wait to sign up for Shiprock for sure but Steamworks and the Thirsty 13 are pretty definite.
      I am in Durango! It's really pretty here but the small town race scene is very different.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a great year of running!! I'm doing a race series here this year, but shorter distances. So it's 5 races all local ranging from 5 km to half marathon (but the most I'm doing is 10K). It worked out really well for me last year, it's very inexpensive so if I have to miss one for some reason, I don't feel super bad about it, but it's highly motivating!! I hope you get your PR this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a fun series! It is very motivating for me to always have another race on the horizon. Really nice that the series is inexpensive, Race fees sure add up quickly!

      Delete
  4. Oh how exciting!!! I love that you're planning on doing multiple half-marathons! Go you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The half marathon is my favorite distance so that's all I really do these days!

      Delete
  5. oh my goodness! Wow lady! This sis intense and awesome! I am not at all a runner, but I think it's so cool when people make it a big part of their lives! Good luck with all of your upcoming races! Awesome scenery too-boot! :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm a little obsessed. Running and reading are my favorite things. :-)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the shout out! I'm excited to be working with you.

    Good luck on all your races. I have a few annual races I always do, a few races I build goals around, and then play the rest by ear. Sometimes that's a lot of races, and sometimes just a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to starting the plan. Had to add that race in May so I could start going sooner. Have you decided on your goal races for this year?

      Delete
    2. I've got two halfs coming up for this first training cycle. I loved doing a bunch of 5 and 10ks last spring, so I'm going to do that again. Not sure what fall looks like yet... but that'll have a goal race for sure.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE to plan! I think the most races I did in a year was 10?! I used to race a lot more than I do now that's for sure!

    I think you can achieve your half marathon PR goal! You might surprise yourself and do it at one of those earlier races!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to race so much more than I do now, 8-10 races per year was normal. Yet another change due to having kids! But I happy with my quality over quantity approach nowadays.
      My runs have been feeling really good lately so I'm hoping for a good year. Just gotta stay focused!

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.