Thursday, January 19, 2017

Day in the Life

Hey Friends! I've been meaning to do a day-in-the-life post since... Well, I remember that I was planning to do one during maternity leave with Abel and that was a year ago! So it's been a while. But I finally managed to keep track of an entire day, so without further ado I give you: an everyday day in my very glamorous life.

A few notes: This was Monday, January 16th, 2017. I am 35, Swede is 3, and Abel is almost 14 months. My mom takes care of the kids Mon/Wed/Fri and they are at preschool on Tue/Thu. I work from home, about 35 hours a week in off season, and 45-55 hours a week in busy season.

4:50 a.m. Abel wakes up. He gets a fresh diaper and a bottle of milk then goes right back to sleep. My alarm was set to go off at 5 a.m. anyway so I just change into workout clothes and do 30 minutes of yoga.

5:35 a.m. Take a shower and get dressed for the day.

6:00 a.m. I make a vanilla latte, read the daily entry from Savor, and flip through my Beautiful Word Bible reading verses here and there for a while, then I look through my planner and get organized for the day and week ahead.


6:40 a.m. Swede wakes up. She gets dressed - Without any drama, Hooray! Is the era of the getting-dressed struggle coming to an end?! - and requests blueberry oatmeal (with sprinkles) for breakfast.

FYI: I bought this cow mug years before I was married or had kids

7:15 a.m. Abel wakes up - This is very late for him. He has some blueberry oatmeal too, and then we play for a while before I get him dressed too.


8:00 a.m. Take the kids over to my mom's house for the day and stay to chat for a few minutes.

8:30 a.m. Normally I would go back home to start work but today I have a doctor's appointment.

9:45 a.m. I get home from the doctor's office, grab one of the strawberry muffins that I made with Swede on Sunday, and start working. I'm heading into my busiest season at work so I spend most of the day getting organized.

11:30 a.m. Lunchtime! I have an apple, cheese, salami, and a few crackers with Rondele. I read and comment on a few blogs while I'm eating then get back to work.


2:00 p.m. I have a chocolate Shakeology blended with a banana.

3:30 p.m. Time to pick up the kids! Abel gives me the biggest smile when I walk in the door. I chat with my dad about the family beach vacation to La Jolla that we are planning for August!

4:00 p.m. Home with the kids. This is the most chaotic hour of the day. Today there was... playing, fighting over toys, sharing Puffs with the dog, getting into mischief, watching Cinderella, and making dinner.


5:00 pm. Dinnertime! We have Baked Chicken with Creamy Tomato Sauce from Dinner: A Love Story. Swede likes it. Abel is less impressed.

5:30 p.m. Swede watches more Cinderella while Jonathan does the dishes and I give Abel a bath and get him ready for bed.

6:00 p.m. I take GB on a walk and then we play fetch/chase with her new squeaky toy while Jonathan gives Swede a bath.


6:30 p.m. Story time with Swede! Her current favorites are: Dragon Was Terrible and The Night Gardener.

7:00 p.m. Working on my 2017 Race Calendar blog post with a glass of wine.

7:45 p.m. Get ready for bed, check on kids, who are both sleeping peacefully, and chat with Jonathan.

8:15 p.m. Reading in bed with GB. I read one chapter of Better than Before and then start News of the World.


8:45 p.m. I've been trying to be more diligent about getting to bed at 9-9:30 p.m. so I can wake up (more) easily at 5 a.m. I set the "Bedtime" feature on my phone to do an alarm at 8:45 p.m. to remind me to get ready for bed but I usually ignore it. I always have to finish another chapter!

9:05 p.m. Another new thing I'm trying is using the Headspace app for 10 minutes of meditation before bed.

9:15 p.m. Lights out!

17 comments:

  1. I love day in the life posts! Reading/journaling in the early morning is something I'd really like to start doing! That cheese, fruit and meat plate looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really trying to get in the early morning habit but it's so hard sometimes!
      Cheese & Salami (and olives, but I didn't have any) is my favorite little snack plate.

      Delete
  2. OMG! I love this post! Great to see how your day is filled with life, love, and family. And I've gotten some understanding on how you get in so much reading - because you make time for it every day. Inspires me to do the same when I'm ready. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebekah! :-)
      I think I have time for reading because I don't really watch TV. Reading and running are my favorite things.

      Delete
  3. I think I've mentioned before that I LOVE these posts...and you have inspired me to get my own up ASAP! I have it mostly drafted, but need to update the photos since I originally wrote it a couple of months ago. I find other people's days so fascinating!!! How are you liking News of the World??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, We've both been trying to do one of these posts for a while, I was so proud of myself for finally getting one up!
      I am really liking News of the World. But I'm always partial to stories of frontier America.

      Delete
  4. PS - I also think that lunch looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am super impressed with your 5pm supper! We always ate around 5pm growing up but now its an accomplishment to have supper ready by 6:15pm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. It's fun to see what people do on a daily basis. Doesn't have to be glamorous or super duper exciting. :) I need to try going to sleep earlier. Yesterday I went to bed around 9 which was great, but it will probably be later tonight. hah

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to get to bed early (and get up early!) but I do feel much better when it happens.

      Delete
  7. Yay! I love these posts! Glad you finally got one up ;)

    That's so great that your parents are able to watch the kids for you and that they live so close! My dream! (But will never happen, sadly).
    Also impressed with your early super! We never eat before six but that's because jim doesn't make it home before then. And 915 bedtime?!? Man, I'm such a night owl and I so wish I wasn't. Life would be so much less tiring I think if I could make myself go to bed early. I think I feel like I need to do all the things once Sully is in bed and I can't justify going to bed before midnight haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We moved back from Denver to Durango to be close to the grandparents - It's so worth it even when I miss Denver.
      We are such early birds around here. The kids are naturally so luckily I'm a morning person as well.

      Delete
  8. I love these posts. I keep meaning to do one but I never remember to keep track lol. It's so nice that your parents help take care of the kids! My mom does too. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to keep track of a day for a whole year and FINALLY managed!
      SO great that our moms can help with the kids. :-)

      Delete
  9. your life sounds really quite lovely for having 2 small kids! i have a 1.5 year old and a 3.5 year old, and your day sounds borderline luxurious! i think my days are kind of like your 4 PM hour, but all day long :) Does Swede still nap most days? My daughter was napping fairly regularly, but it was starting to disrupt her nighttime sleep, so we recently got rid of it for good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I was a SAHM the whole day would be like 4-5 PM hour and I would go completely crazy, which is one reason why working part-time is the right decision for me. Sometimes I feel a little guilty, not that I'm not a SAHM, but that I don't want to be one. It's a good balance for us though and my kids LOVE their grandma. I am so lucky to have her help. Swede does "quiet time" from about 1-3 PM every day - Sometimes she sleeps, sometimes not, but is usually pretty good about playing by herself in her room if not.

      Delete

Please comment if you feel so inclined! I will reply via email if you provide your email address. If not - Check back here for a reply.